Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

If you want to pay the bills being a burger flipper, no matter how good you are at it, you better be working for the most upscale burger place in the world. Demand and get a wage more than it is worth to the owner of the burger joint, however, and you won't have a job for long. If the government forces the issue, the burger joint will likely not stay in business for long and nobody will have a job at any amount.

Smart people work for burger joints because they don't need to make a lot of money and they ENJOY working for the burger joint - or - they are building a work ethic, and references to qualify for something better. Stupid people work there even though they hate it and don't make enough money because they simply have not qualified themselves to do anything else.

And then there are people who work at a burger joint because they can't do anything else.

Why can't they do anything else?

For a variety of reasons. No ability, no talent, no common sense, no education, no desire, no people skills, poor hygene, bad breath, physical deformities, psychological problems, bad luck . . .

And then there are people who work at a burger joint because they can't do anything else.

For a variety of reasons. No ability, no talent, no common sense, no education, no desire, no people skills, poor hygene, bad breath, physical deformities, psychological problems, bad luck . . .

Or they can't speak coherent English, etc. etc. etc. . . . .

NONE of which should be the responsibility of the employer. Such people are not entitled to what anybody else earns or possesses by virtue of their life choices, disadvantages, or just plain bad luck. There are a lot of us willing to help them learn how to improve their lot in life. But a whole bunch of them don't want help to learn how to do it themselves. They want somebody else to do it for them. And so the world goes.

A living wage is what we used to have in this country when anyone with half an ounce of education, ambition, and drive could get themselves out of bed in the morning and go to job that actually paid enough to support the ideal of the American Dream.

What's your point? What benevolent god of the economy wrote in some book way back 'that's the way it's supposed to work'?

My point?

Things used to be better. Now they're worse.

You can't argue that.

It's all relative. I'm 54 years old and I assure you, I'm much better off today than I was when I was 24 and starting out. My son used to laugh at his friends in high school a couple of years ago when they would complain they couldn't find a job. He had two and found them with no problem. He had a job where he worked 3 days during the week and another job where he worked Saturday and Sunday. As much as they liked him, the first job just didn't have enough work to offer him more than those 3 days. The other job liked him too and after a short while they offered him 6 days a week. He took it. During the summer, there were times that he worked 8 to 10 hour per days for 14 days straight without a day off. When he left for college, the owner told him he had a job waiting for him any time he wanted to work. Oh yeah, they raised him above minimum wage fairly quickly too. He has a work ethic that puts a lot of other people to shame.

That still does not mean you should not make enough while your doing it to pay your bills does it?

It depends. It depends on what you think the purpose and responsibility of a business is. Some say the purpose of a business is to make a profit. Some say the more accurate purpose of a business is to create customers. NEVER have I heard it said that a business exists for the purpose of providing for the basic neccessities of its employees.

Last edited:

Well, many of those qualities have to do with physical, mental or emotional limitations that will most likely require a life time of care from family. No desire, no education, poor hygene, bad breath, etc. are their own damn fault for doing nothing about. In this country, it is perfectly within their reach to change all of those things. Bad luck? Bullshit. You make you own "luck" in life. Bad luck is an excuse, not a reason.

Not everyone can play linebacker in the pros either... Nor can a person in a wheel chair bitch when they won't be given a chance at a job testing leg press weight machines

The important thing is that most of the things that allegedly 'keep' someone from doing other things are all choices and personal behaviors... and sorry charlie, that is all on them... most can advance in even small ways above entry level jobs, they simply choose to do things that prevent that from happening... Even the guy with downs syndrome at the local wing joint in my area has done enough to earn raises and promotions to a wage above minimum.. and was very happy and proud to announce it to many of the regular customers he considers friends

Not everyone can play linebacker in the pros either... Nor can a person in a wheel chair bitch when they won't be given a chance at a job testing leg press weight machines

The important thing is that most of the things that allegedly 'keep' someone from doing other things are all choices and personal behaviors... and sorry charlie, that is all on them... most can advance in even small ways above entry level jobs, they simply choose to do things that prevent that from happening... Even the guy with downs syndrome at the local wing joint in my area has done enough to earn raises and promotions to a wage above minimum.. and was very happy and proud to announce it to many of the regular customers he considers friends

Yup. I have never once been offered a high paying role in a movie or TV sitcom even though I think I could do as good a job at that as many who do get those roles. I've never been offered a job as a fashion model or advertising spokesperson though I have some volunteer experience as both. I frankly don't have the physique or the other necessary talents to do that. I've never been offered an opportunity to try out for a professional sports team despite my experience doing sports and nobody has even considered me for a lucrative job of brain surgeon or nuclear physicist.

But in those positions for which I do have the skill set, ability, and ambition to do, I have often started out at minimum wage, starvation wages for us, and didn't stay there long because given the chance to do so, I was able to make myself far more valuable than minimum wage to my employers.

It is the difference between liberalism and conservatism. Conservatism expects to merit or earn what they have according to initiative and ability. Liberalism expects to merit what they need based on need.

Yup. I have never once been offered a high paying role in a movie or TV sitcom even though I think I could do as good a job at that as many who do get those roles. I've never been offered a job as a fashion model or advertising spokesperson though I have some volunteer experience as both. I frankly don't have the physique or the other necessary talents to do that. I've never been offered an opportunity to try out for a professional sports team despite my experience doing sports and nobody has even considered me for a lucrative job of brain surgeon or nuclear physicist.

But in those positions for which I do have the skill set, ability, and ambition to do, I have often started out at minimum wage, starvation wages for us, and didn't stay there long because given the chance to do so, I was able to make myself far more valuable than minimum wage to my employers.

It is the difference between liberalism and conservatism. Conservatism expects to merit or earn what they have according to initiative and ability. Liberalism expects to merit what they need based on need.

Either way what is the minimum one who WORKS and is an adult should really make? 7.25 an hour is a joke and I dont care if a hamburger goes from 5.00 a meal to 7.00 a meal if you WORK and are an adult I think 12.50 an hour is the wage

Either way what is the minimum one who WORKS and is an adult should really make? 7.25 an hour is a joke and I dont care if a hamburger goes from 5.00 a meal to 7.00 a meal if you WORK and are an adult I think 12.50 an hour is the wage

The free market has already answered that question. Enough burger flipping joints have offered enough burger flipping jobs to potential burger flippers and enough people agreed to become burger flippers at the rate burger flipper joints were offering that an avg. wage for burger flippers was established. Thus that is how much burger flippers should make. Since when has the purpose of anyone going into business been to provided for the basic needs of their employees? Why is that their responsibility? Why is it not YOUR responsibility to develop the a skill set that will pay you a living wage? How is it you can not see the ramifications of structuring an economy such that it is an employers responsibility to provide your basic needs?

Have you never asked for a raise in your life? What is the first thing your boss asks? It's usually something to the effect of 'what have you done to deserve a raise'? And your serious answer if you were making less than what you deem a living wage would be, 'oh I haven't done anything extra, i just need more to live on'? How long do you suppose it would take to get laughed out of the office?

Last edited:

Again why? Since when has the purpose of anyone going into business been to provided for the basic needs of their employees? Why is that their responsibility? Why is it not YOUR responsibility to develop the a skill set that will pay you a living wage?

This is simply what these libbies REFUSE to understand

Memo to lefties: It was never intended for you to make a career of frying burgers and potatoes. Those are meant for teenagers who live at home with mom and dad.

That still does not mean you should not make enough while your doing it to pay your bills does it?

It depends. It depends on what you think the purpose and responsibility of a business is. Some say the purpose of a business is to make a profit. Some say the more accurate purpose of a business is to create customers. NEVER have I heard it said that a business exists for the purpose of providing for the basic neccessities of its employees.

It cost my company about 70.00 an hour to have me hear and they charge about 80 for me
Now what part of my success turning into there success exists so we all succeed?
its the same for every-one. If your not helping a business succeed then you should not be there

People are making that much now (4-500 a week), the govt is subsidizing most of it, think about it
We can do it in the free market

Why $12.50? Why not $15? Or $25? If you're going to establish a living wage let's make it a living wage. It will result in much higher unemployment of course and far fewer people risking their existing assets in entreprenourship, and will greatly increase the misery index for many, but at least some of you would say it is only fair.

In a subsequent post you said let the private sector do it. You cannot let the private sector do it if you are going to dictate what the private sector has to pay people to work. You either believe in the free market or you don't. Whenever the government mandates what anybody MUST do with the assets they have, there is no free market.

Why $12.50? Why not $15? Or $25? If you're going to establish a living wage let's make it a living wage. It will result in much higher unemployment of course and far fewer people risking their existing assets in entreprenourship, and will greatly increase the misery index for many, but at least some of you would say it is only fair.

In a subsequent post you said let the private sector do it. You cannot let the private sector do it if you are going to dictate what the private sector has to pay people to work. You either believe in the free market or you don't. Whenever the government mandates what anybody MUST do with the assets they have, there is no free market.

I ask the simple question what is a living wage okay?
290.00 a week is not a living wage
What we are doing is subsidizing those who make that to an amount that probably is not far off of 500 a week
Now there part of the problem, not part of the solution

And exactly why is the UE rate going to go up?
I am not claiming you have to do anything with your assets. Have you ever estimated work?
Do you understand how many people this would actually effect and at what cost?
Another thing, I live in the 3rd poorest county in the state I live in. People consider what i make as being rich
My issue maybe more of a local issue, I see things different than most and as a conservative paying a person 9.85 an hour is not enough. That is what the county pays its employees
How can we get people off of the govt tit if we do not set some guide lines to get us there?
One other thing, in trade we cut corporate tax also to get here
it would be a wash

I ask the simple question what is a living wage okay?
290.00 a week is not a living wage
What we are doing is subsidizing those who make that to an amount that probably is not far off of 500 a week
Now there part of the problem, not part of the solution

And exactly why is the UE rate going to go up?
I am not claiming you have to do anything with your assets. Have you ever estimated work?
Do you understand how many people this would actually effect and at what cost?
Another thing, I live in the 3rd poorest county in the state I live in. People consider what i make as being rich
My issue maybe more of a local issue, I see things different than most and as a conservative paying a person 9.85 an hour is not enough. That is what the county pays its employees
How can we get people off of the govt tit if we do not set some guide lines to get us there?
One other thing, in trade we cut corporate tax also to get here
it would be a wash

I have worked for others. I have been in a position to hire, supervise, promote, and establish wages for others. I have been in a position to help budget and allocate assets in a multi-million dollar business. And I have owned and operated my own business. I have a very strong sense of how you calculate the value of any job. Make that job more costly than what the job is worth to those willing to hire, and the job goes away. It is as simple as that.

The best way to get people off the government 'tit' is to show them what they have to do to support themselves and then take the 'tit' away. Jesus said the poor will always be with us and that is a fact as it has been true for all of recorded history. And a moral society takes care of the truly helpless. But it doesn't have to be via the federal government that does that and shouldn't. It is an irrefutable fact that the more comfortable you make people in poverty, the less incentive there will be for them to want to get themselves out of it.

It cost my company about 70.00 an hour to have me hear and they charge about 80 for me
Now what part of my success turning into there success exists so we all succeed?
its the same for every-one. If your not helping a business succeed then you should not be there

People are making that much now (4-500 a week), the govt is subsidizing most of it, think about it

I don't know what you're getting at here. You keep dodging the question; Why is it an employers responsibility, more so than your own, to provide for your basic needs? Either the you believe that's their responsibility or you don't. Or you don't think that's what you're really saying, but the reality is you are.

Last edited:
It's a bad thing if what they're doing isn't WORTH a tad more. You think business owners don't have other things to do with that money? As the left is fond of trumpeting when telling us how we don't need "eeevil corporations", the vast majority of employers in this country are small or mid-sized businesses.

Your employer is not your parent, and is in no way obligated to take care of your life problems for you. Grow up.

Are you interested in discussing this further, or are you here simply to be pedantic?

Do you have any idea what "pedantic" means? Because nothing I said qualifies.

I'm not sure how much further one CAN discuss this. What else is there to say beyond the painfully obvious fact that employers are not responsible for your problems; they are consumers purchasing the commodity of your service?

Thanks for answering my question. You're clearly an arrogant ****.

I don't know what you're getting at here. You keep dodging the question; Why is it an employers responsibility, more so than your own, to provide for your basic needs? Either the you believe that's their responsibility or you don't. Or you don't think that's what you're really saying, but the reality is you are.

In most countries considered First World, there are public infrastructures aimed at serving basic needs. We have a few here, but they're far less comprehensive than in most of our peers.

So, naturally, a lot of these things, like healthcare are shifted towards employer benefits. In effect, the expectation is that employers should handle most of the burden of things like care.

This discussion doesn't even really touch the benefits side of a minimum wage, since there is no such thing currently, but to even suggest that the bottom of the pay scale be slightly higher is apparently taboo.

So far, it's supposedly something that would discourage people from moving further in their careers, and that employers shouldn't be responsible for providing basic needs anyway.

So I guess the question becomes: if you don't think employers should provide basic needs, then why even accept your employer's benefits package if you're offered one?

Clearly, a lot of employers view providing basic needs like healthcare as a responsibility to their workers.

In most countries considered First World, there are public infrastructures aimed at serving basic needs. We have a few here, but they're far less comprehensive than in most of our peers.

So, naturally, a lot of these things, like healthcare are shifted towards employer benefits. In effect, the expectation is that employers should handle most of the burden of things like care.

This discussion doesn't even really touch the benefits side of a minimum wage, since there is no such thing currently, but to even suggest that the bottom of the pay scale be slightly higher is apparently taboo.

So far, it's supposedly something that would discourage people from moving further in their careers, and that employers shouldn't be responsible for providing basic needs anyway.

So I guess the question becomes: if you don't think employers should provide basic needs, then why even accept your employer's benefits package if you're offered one?

Clearly, a lot of employers view providing basic needs like healthcare as a responsibility to their workers.

Wrong. Employers don't provide extra benefits out of a sense of obligation to provide basic needs to employees. They provide those things as a means of competing for employees.

It isn't taboo to bring up the wages of the lowest wage earners. It is taboo to suggest that your wages should be raised for no other reason than you need more to live on.

STILL no one of you living wage proponents will answer the question; why is it your employers responsibility, more so than your own, to provide for your basic needs?

Forum List

Back