Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

That speaks more to the employees than the employer.

If you can't pay your bills on what your job pays you then you have a couple options

1. Find a better paying job
2. Work a part time job in addition to your full time job.

It's not the employer's fault that you don't make enough money.

I really would like to hear from the libs on this:

I gotta ask. Do any of you liberals work for minimum wage right now?
Because it sure sounds like it.
If you're not you would know that it's not forever. In fact it usually only last for about 6 months if that.
So why are you so dead set on making a living wage for a starter job?
When you yourself worked for it,and I presume you've progressed past it.

Anybody......?

Oh dude, there is a really BIG difference in your standard of living when you move up to 8.50 an hour. Is that what you are trying to say?

As to working for minimum wage. Only once, when I was 16. However, there were so many jobs back then and far fewer people looking for work, so raises came faster.

Now days, minimum wage jobs and those jobs that pay barely above minimum wage are much more common and seem to be where the job growth is happening.

As to making a living wage. If your kind don't mind that minimum wage workers qualify for food stamps and other benes, I don't mind that they only earn minimum wage. Seems fair to me. That way your precious companies don't have to increase their payroll expense and people working for low wages get to eat.

You don't mind if poor people eat. Do you?

If you're not you would know that it's not forever. In fact it usually only last for about 6 months if that.

Anybody......?

Liberals have the ability to care about people in bad situations that they dont necessarily have to be in them self, and the American middle class is shrinking, trickle down actually means pour up to those few at the top, low wage workers are now the norm, Walmart is the nations largest private sector employer.

And conservatives and people in other groups CAN'T care about people??

No that is not it... You and your ilk FEEL that others exist to do your charity work for you, or to provide the charity for you... that is much different than caring and giving of yourself of your own free will

Anybody......?

Oh dude, there is a really BIG difference in your standard of living when you move up to 8.50 an hour. Is that what you are trying to say?

As to working for minimum wage. Only once, when I was 16. However, there were so many jobs back then and far fewer people looking for work, so raises came faster.

Now days, minimum wage jobs and those jobs that pay barely above minimum wage are much more common and seem to be where the job growth is happening.

As to making a living wage. If your kind don't mind that minimum wage workers qualify for food stamps and other benes, I don't mind that they only earn minimum wage. Seems fair to me. That way your precious companies don't have to increase their payroll expense and people working for low wages get to eat.

funny you should say that.

Occasionally I shop at the local Save-a-Lot.

The local welfare recipients are there wearing their replica team jerseys size XXL.

They are overweight and underworked for the most part and have cash to walk across the street to buy beer and cigs.

You don't mind if they buy expensive NFL jerseys, watch Springer on cable TV, smoke, booze and get high on our dime do you?

Anybody......?

With your first sentence I knew this was going to be bullshit.
So you stop trying after your first raise? Wow you're a real go getter !!!!
First of all,anyone who goes to work at a fast food joint shouldn't expect to much advancement unless they are willing to bust ass and become a manager.
I've never worked in a fast food joint because even at 16 I knew it was a dead end job.
People make choices in life,some make poor ones. Why the hell should I be responsible for that?
Anyone who puts in some effort can make 15 bucks an hour in short order. Which isn't much but it seems like the magic number around here.

I will say that with the influx of illegals the jobs that payed a decent wage like carpentry,concrete work and service jobs are harder to come by these days.
But thats a whole nother thread.

Anybody......?

First of all,anyone who goes to work at a fast food joint shouldn't expect to much advancement unless they are willing to bust ass and become a manager.
I've never worked in a fast food joint because even at 16 I knew it was a dead end job.
People make choices in life,some make poor ones. Why the hell should I be responsible for that?
Anyone who puts in some effort can make 15 bucks an hour in short order. Which isn't much but it seems like the magic number around here.

I will say that with the influx of illegals the jobs that payed a decent wage like carpentry,concrete work and service jobs are harder to come by these days.

your last paragraph says why the dem/liberal position of both living wage and immigration is a farce.

Some of the local unskilled labor force complain that illegals and legals are taking their jobs.

I don't know how true that is b/c the local unskilled workers I know are lazy as hell.

Look dude....if you dont like working at wallyworld get a different job.
No one is stopping you. If you work really hard you can move up to JC Penny.

Darn now just if all those people who work at Walmart could figure this out Walmart would have nobody to work in their stores and Mom and Pop would be back in business.

Retires and highschool kids fit the bill perfectly. And who knows,if they apply themselves they could become managers.

Simple minds always have simple solutions to complicated matters! :lol:

(So, in a bad economy, it's fine to quit a job that pays little in hopes to finding another one that pays more, in the mean time, if you don't find one, what?) Wouldn't it make more sense for Wal-Mart who is raking in billions to raise salaries? But, I gather you don't mind making up the difference! :lol:

Every business seeks to keep payroll costs to a minimum, and any business would jump at the opportunity for government to subsidize their employee’s salaries, but when a giant profitable corporation uses taxpayer dollars to supplement their payrolls, voters should be outraged. WalMart posted profits of $15.4 billion in 2011, and it enriched 6 WalMart heirs and heiresses whose combined worth is greater than the bottom 41% of American families (48.8 million households). Part of WalMart’s profits come from paying employees below poverty level wages, and to keep WalMart associates from going hungry and falling ill, taxpayers provided food stamps and Medicaid to make up the difference.

WalMart earns record profits while supporting Republicans who want to slash their employees' food stamps

your last paragraph says why the dem/liberal position of both living wage and immigration is a farce.

Some of the local unskilled labor force complain that illegals and legals are taking their jobs.

I don't know how true that is b/c the local unskilled workers I know are lazy as hell.

I really dont know any unskilled laborers,they all speak spanish now.
I know that when I was a kid if you went by a construction site,you would see black guys doing the concrete work,followed by white and black guys doing the construction.
A good friend of mines father used to be a house painter. The guy across the street from my wife and I's wife first home used to drive a dump truck.
These jobs are all exclusively hispanic now. Just like yard mowing was a big money maker when I was a kid. Not anymore,illegals have stolen that right of passage from our children.

But you're right about it being a problem with the "let em in and then complain about our lack of jobs" people.
How do they square that?
But it's all good,just more voters to lock into gov reliance and dependence.....and of course the votes that go with them.

Darn now just if all those people who work at Walmart could figure this out Walmart would have nobody to work in their stores and Mom and Pop would be back in business.

Retires and highschool kids fit the bill perfectly. And who knows,if they apply themselves they could become managers.

Simple minds always have simple solutions to complicated matters! :lol:

(So, in a bad economy, it's fine to quit a job that pays little in hopes to finding another one that pays more, in the mean time, if you don't find one, what?) Wouldn't it make more sense for Wal-Mart who is raking in billions to raise salaries? But, I gather you don't mind making up the difference! :lol:

Every business seeks to keep payroll costs to a minimum, and any business would jump at the opportunity for government to subsidize their employee’s salaries, but when a giant profitable corporation uses taxpayer dollars to supplement their payrolls, voters should be outraged. WalMart posted profits of $15.4 billion in 2011, and it enriched 6 WalMart heirs and heiresses whose combined worth is greater than the bottom 41% of American families (48.8 million households). Part of WalMart’s profits come from paying employees below poverty level wages, and to keep WalMart associates from going hungry and falling ill, taxpayers provided food stamps and Medicaid to make up the difference.

WalMart earns record profits while supporting Republicans who want to slash their employees' food stamps

You've never lived through a bad economy? I did in the eighties,and of course right now,thank God i'm immune to it this time around because I made good decisions in the past. It's part of life,get used to it.
As far as you crying about the gov subsidizing wallyworld employees?
Obama care is forcing business around the country to cut hours to avoid it. Maybe you should concern yourself with that issue. Because it will dwarf your wallyworld complaints.

At different times when we ran out of money way before the end of the week, In addition to our day jobs, or in lieu of having a day job, Hubby and I have:

1. Taken a night job as a telemarketer (you don't get any more deadend job than that.)
2. Worked below minimum wage drilling wheat and plowing for a farmer.
3. Inserted funnies and other extras into the Sunday paper by hand--you go to work just before midnight and work until dawn - get paid by the number of papers you're able to insert.)
4. Worked as an all call legal secretary evenings and weekends after the regular job and taken in typing jobs.
5. Taken a motor paper route - 25 miles throwing about 300 papers.
6. Worked in the basement of a Christian bookstore boxing up mail orders. (That one was the absolute worst after the telemarketing job.)
7. Taken in sewing, ironing, baby sitting other people's kids in our home.
8. Taken on extra work with the National Guard that paid a little extra.
9. Been professional shoppers for shut ins.
10. Done housework and laundry for the same shut ins.
11. Worked as part time janitor for a church.
12. Bussed tables and washed dishes in a restaurant.
13. Worked as a temp employee until something permanent opened up.

I have done it more than him because we agreed he would be the one to be transferred to move up in his company which meant I usually had to start over again in the next town. I never quibbled about starting wages because I knew I could merit much more once I had a chance to show an employer what I could do.

That is what is called a work ethic. And those who utilize it are rarely ever poor for long.

Nobody who hasn't contracted for it or earned it has a right to what somebody else earns.

And no employer should be forced to be anybody's nanny or welfare office.

What happens when employers build Widgets and don't pay a wage their employees can support their families on?

The taxpayer steps in and subsidizes food, housing and healthcare for that family. Employer gets to profit off of cheap widgets.....taxpayers make up the difference

If you can't pay your bills on what your job pays you then you have a couple options

What and work two jobs, surley you jest. They would rather just bitch about the low paying job and collect benefits.

I worked two part time jobs when I was in High School and played sports and got good grades, that is how I bought my first car. These people bitching are just fucking lazy.

What and work two jobs, surley you jest. They would rather just bitch about the low paying job and collect benefits.

I worked two part time jobs when I was in High School and played sports and got good grades, that is how I bought my first car. These people bitching are just fucking lazy.

Oh geez. I didn't even get back to highschool and college. He has sacked groceries for 50 cents an hour but it got his foot in the door for a better job. In college I worked in the college laundry, workied the front desk in the dorm, worked as secretary for professors or research assistant, sometimes for as little as 60 cents an hour for pocket money. Worked at whatever I could get during long holiday breaks and summers to pay for tuition, room and board. But I got a first class education and left school with no debt.

To start with no-ones trying to take away programs for those who deserve it
secondly there is no reason a person who gets up @ 0500, works and honest 40 hours, should be working in a wheat field to eat
That has been my point all along
400 rent
100 elec
400 eat
400 car
take 2000 month
465 take home a week
about 13 an hour at the end of the day
paying that wage gets you dollar for dollar tax relief in my plan
paying that wage you mark your product and to maintain profit (or service marked up) ACROSS the board the same. a big mac is 4.00 now
big deal? really?
the US govt gets 18 pennies for every gallon of gas and no-one says a word
EVERY-ONE DOES that works, if you do not work (other than tep layoff, etc...) than your going to be in a world of po-po
eliminate illegal labor, 100%

it is not that big of a deal

And if wall mart is so bad to there employees why is it not went union in one place in this country yet?
Simple question

Last edited:

Anybody......?

Liberals have the ability to care about people in bad situations that they dont necessarily have to be in them self, and the American middle class is shrinking, trickle down actually means pour up to those few at the top, low wage workers are now the norm, Walmart is the nations largest private sector employer.

No that is not it... You and your ilk FEEL that others exist to do your charity work for you, or to provide the charity for you... that is much different than caring and giving of yourself of your own free will

Since we pay taxes we can advocate for our tax money to help the poor while also giving to charity unlike conservative who want to kill programs that feed poor children.

secondly there is no reason a person who gets up @ 0500, works and honest 40 hours, should be working in a wheat field to eat
400 rent
100 elec
400 eat
400 car
take 2000 month
465 take home a week
paying that wage you mark your product and to maintain profit (or service marked up) ACROSS the board the same. a big mac is 4.00 now
big deal? really?
EVERY-ONE DOES that works, if you do not work (other than tep layoff, etc...) than your going to be in a world of po-po

And if wall mart is so bad to there employees why is it not went union in one place in this country yet?
Simple question

All you'd be doing is denying jobs to sixteen year olds. They would all be filled by people who dont mind "just getting by".
I always had a room mate to defray the cost of rent and electricity. And I sure as hell didnt have a car when I first started out.
You do without for a few years until you can afford a place of your own and a car.
Thats life,and it teaches the value of hard work.

400 rent
100 elec
400 eat
400 car
take 2000 month
465 take home a week
big deal? really?

Simple question

All you'd be doing is denying jobs to sixteen year olds. They would all be filled by people who dont mind "just getting by".
I always had a room mate to defray the cost of rent and electricity. And I sure as hell didnt have a car when I first started out.
You do without for a few years until you can afford a place of your own and a car.

I keep saying the same thing over and over and no-one is hearing me
the liberals are saying we are triying to take something from the poor and the con is saying that paying a person an honest days wage for an honest days work is bad and can be dealt with by hiring a 16 year old?
I am not talking about giving anything to any-one
Nor am I suggesting that we eliminate part time after school programs for minors

who knows what the real answer is
I know this
In this country if you work 40 hours a week and get paid 8.00 an hour, me, the tax payer is going to be sending you some help if you ask for it
so why is it okay for me to pay a higher tax rate so I can give that person monies, when a real wage would allow him/her to earn it
going to cost me the same

400 rent
100 elec
400 eat
400 car
take 2000 month
465 take home a week
big deal? really?

Simple question

the liberals are saying we are triying to take something from the poor and the con is saying that paying a person an honest days wage for an honest days work is bad and can be dealt with by hiring a 16 year old?
Nor am I suggesting that we eliminate part time after school programs for minors

I know this
In this country if you work 40 hours a week and get paid 8.00 an hour, me, the tax payer is going to be sending you some help if you ask for it
so why is it okay for me to pay a higher tax rate so I can give that person monies, when a real wage would allow him/her to earn it

But why should an employer be required to use his capital and investment to pay the employee more than the employee earns for him; i.e. take a loss on the employee's labor? Why would the employer even hire a person in the first place if he is going to take a loss week in and week out for the foreseeable future?

And you force people who work to support those who don't or who are chronically underemployed, and you give little incentive to folks to become unemployed or better employed. And if the requirement becomes too much for those who work, it is a huge incentive for them to stop working when so much of what they earn is confiscated for the benefit of others.

Charity and welfare should be handled by the private sector and we need to restore the expectation in people that honorable people do as much as they are capable of doing to support themselves and pay their own way. Restore that American value and we will have far fewer people on welfare or working for subpar wages.

Since we pay taxes we can advocate for our tax money to help the poor while also giving to charity unlike conservative who want to kill programs that feed poor children.

Um.. no.. that would have to be a specific power listed.. and while it is a power the government has taken upon itself, it did so wrongfully

Funny how you call for it while calling for the raising of taxes on others.. not yourself...

You want to call for it at the state or local level.. knock yourself out

And yes.. I am very much salivating at the chance to break down article 1 section 8 if you dare use the 'welfare' argument without taking the section in full context (leaving off everything after the word 'welfare', which indeed had a different meaning back then)... so go ahead and try

Again... charity is a personal thing.. not something to force upon others in your name

Um.. no.. that would have to be a specific power listed.. and while it is a power the government has taken upon itself, it did so wrongfully

Funny how you call for it while calling for the raising of taxes on others.. not yourself...

You want to call for it at the state or local level.. knock yourself out

And yes.. I am very much salivating at the chance to break down article 1 section 8 if you dare use the 'welfare' argument without taking the section in full context (leaving off everything after the word 'welfare', which indeed had a different meaning back then)... so go ahead and try

Again... charity is a personal thing.. not something to force upon others in your name

Break it down, and welfare means welfare just as well regulated means well regulated.

400 rent
100 elec
400 eat
400 car
take 2000 month
465 take home a week
big deal? really?

Simple question

I know this

First you have to get past the idea that mickyDs is worth a living wage.
It's for retires and kids in highschool that live at home.
Not people who are to damn lazy to put out a little effort and get a real job.

Forum List

Back