Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

best get that 2nd or 3rd job, or up their skills

We DON'T have enough jobs for everyone at this point.

BUT the moron con, thinks those with min paying jobs should have 2 or 3 of them.

Perhaps if companies like Walmart (9 billion is profit last year) should give workers 40 hrs per week instead of 20 to avoid benefits.

"Due to low wages and few benefits, Walmart workers at a single 300-person Supercenter store rely on anywhere from $904,542 to $1,744,590 in public benefits per year, costing taxpayers, according to a new report from the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. "

Walmart's Low Wages Cost Taxpayers Millions Each Year

Wal-Mart's low wages cost taxpayers plenty- MSN Money

One Walmart's Low Wages Could Cost Taxpayers $900,000 Per Year, House Dems Find

"Walmart wages are so low that many of its workers rely on food stamps and other government aid programs to fulfill their basic needs, a reality that could cost taxpayers as much as $900,000 at just one Walmart Supercenter in Wisconsin, according to a study released by Congressional Democrats on Thursday."

BUT the moron con, thinks those with min paying jobs should have 2 or 3 of them.

Perhaps if companies like Walmart (9 billion is profit last year) should give workers 40 hrs per week instead of 20 to avoid benefits.

"Due to low wages and few benefits, Walmart workers at a single 300-person Supercenter store rely on anywhere from $904,542 to $1,744,590 in public benefits per year, costing taxpayers, according to a new report from the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. "

"Walmart wages are so low that many of its workers rely on food stamps and other government aid programs to fulfill their basic needs, a reality that could cost taxpayers as much as $900,000 at just one Walmart Supercenter in Wisconsin, according to a study released by Congressional Democrats on Thursday."

Ehh.. wrong answer... you go to almost any fast food joint, gas station, etc there are jobs.. just not ones that are high paying... which is not an issue for someone without skills because they are not going to get high paying jobs anyway

Sorry.. you do not get to infringe on the freedom of others to force them to work employees more than they want.. and your freedom will not be infringed upon to force you to work there

Again.. low wages are YOUR fault for not upping yourself, not training, not advancing, and not making yourself a wanted commodity.. if you wish to never advance, never attain valuable skills, never educate yourself, etc.. that is not anyone's fault but YOURS... and it is not the responsibility of society nor government to prop you up because of your poor choice

Oh.. and next time.. try and use a credible source.. not huffo puffo.. not stink progress.. not bsnbc... all of which with extreme bias in commentary and conclusion...

And no.. I do not link to RW sites either nor think they are the reliable sources...

get out of bed @0500
work 8 hours a day for others to profit is worth something more than 280.00 a week
with that stated it is one of the only views I am a blue dog on
Minimum wage is a joke
now that 15.00 should include any additional retirement and insurance
for instance if the employer is funding ins 3.00 an hour and kicking in 1.00 an hour for your 401k, then that hourly pay should be 11.00

It is a joke only if you are earning substantially more than that for your employer. Even at minimum wage you are costing the employer additional costs for FICA, SUTA, FUTA, work comp, and, depending on the industry, general liability premiums. Some states impose varous other payroll taxes on top of that.

The kid hired at minimum wage to pick up shingles and other trash and be a go-fer for a roofing company, as of several years ago, cost his employer $17 and up per $100 of wages for work comp premiums alone. Those premiums have probably increased since then. Make the mandatory wage too high, and the roofer simply won't hire that kid at all. In any average business, an employer with 10 to 20 employees can pay, on average, between $7,000 and $10,000 per year in workers comp premiums, depending on the number of workers in risky positions. High risk jobs have much higher premiums. And in all states, work comp is the most strictly regulated insurance you will find.

When the economy was booming during most of the Bush years--we had near full employment in 2006 and 2007--the roofer hired those kids pretty often to train them to be roofers or to free up the experienced roofers to do all roofing instead of having to take time to do clean up. These days those kinds of training jobs are hard to come by as there are so many experienced workers out of work. Make the minimum wage too costly for employers to train new workers, and the market dries up even more for those just starting out.

I see where we are back in delusionville.

So the roofer hiring low skill labor to pick up the job site is going to do what........if he had to pay 8.25 instead of 7.25 an hour. Is the roofing company going to make their customer mad by leaving all the trash on the ground? Is the roofing company going to have one of the shinglers (making way more than minimum wage) going to pick up the trash? No is the answer to both questions.

In fact, most roofers are part of a crew that sub contracts the labor. They get paid by the square of shingles they put down. The pay is split based on skill sets. Shinglers get paid the most. Almost every crew member is making more than minimum wage.

You ever put a roof on? Hard work and worth more than minimum wage. About the only roofing comanies paying just minimum wage or less, are using illegals for their roofing crew. And the illegals will work for whatever.

Hey maybe more Americans will become like the illegals and just be glad to get paid something for their time and work.

Did I suggest that the roofers were making minimum wage? I did not. I said the kid hired to do cleanup might be making minimum wage. Did you miss the part the the extra dollar is not the only cost the roofer would have? And in tight times, the jobs for the roofer are harder to come by and there is no need to rush jobs and there is likely more dead time. But the roofer needs to keep his core of really good roofers. At such times it is much more cost effective for him to have his regular crew do the cleanup than it is to hire that kid. When they are working full time doing roofing, it can be more cost effective to hire that kid. Most especially if the long range plan is to groom and train him to be a roofer. But if you put too high a value on the work that kid does, he won't be hired even in good times.

No I have never been a roofer, but I have a LOT of friends and relatives in the construction business and in my own business have seen the expenses and bottom line of a lot of contractors, both general contractors and the little guys who work mostly as subcontractors.

At ANY price, the worker's wages are worth only as much as they earn a profit for the employer. You bleeding hearts that seem to thnk all employers should be social workers should memorize that sentence.

Last edited:
The wall mart work schedule is over blown by the main stream media
with that said
You either give a person the chance to earn it, or the govt gives it to them through food stamps and welfare
it is that simple

One is financially rewarded for the individual skill sets they provide to their employer. Moral of the story, as a parent it is your responsibility to motivate the child to excel and acquire the skill sets required to better themselves above that of the parent. This is not societies responsibility, for society rewards those that have marketable skill sets that set them above another. Parents need to set standards and accept their responsibilities and stop demanding society to do what they are too lazy to do, raise the child! There will always be the poor, disenfranchised, malcontents, and under achievers, its societies responsibility to insure they have the opportunity, what they do with that opportunity dictates where they end up.

Look dude....if you dont like working at wallyworld get a different job.
No one is stopping you. If you work really hard you can move up to JC Penny.

I gotta ask. Do any of you liberals work for minimum wage right now?
Because it sure sounds like it.
If you're not you would know that it's not forever. In fact it usually only last for about 6 months if that.
So why are you so dead set on making a living wage for a starter job?
When you yourself worked for it,and I presume you've progressed past it.

The wall mart work schedule is over blown by the main stream media
with that said
You either give a person the chance to earn it, or the govt gives it to them through food stamps and welfare
it is that simple

Is it possible that if the government gave a lot less in food stamps and welfare there would be a whole lot more opportunity and incentive to earn it?

Darn now just if all those people who work at Walmart could figure this out Walmart would have nobody to work in their stores and Mom and Pop would be back in business.

I'll bet that's what the owners of the coal mines in W. Virginia were telling their employees when they weren't even paying them real money.

Darn now just if all those people who work at Walmart could figure this out Walmart would have nobody to work in their stores and Mom and Pop would be back in business.

Retires and highschool kids fit the bill perfectly. And who knows,if they apply themselves they could become managers.

I'll bet that's what the owners of the coal mines in W. Virginia were telling their employees when they weren't even paying them real money.

I guess moving and maybe taking up a new line a work is out of the question?

So by all means, if you can dig through the annals of history to find a half dozen bad or corrupt employers, let's not deal with those bad or corrupt employers but instead screw up the entire free market system.

Have you ever heard the first maxim of management? You cannot fix bad people by changing the system. And the second is: You cannot fix a bad system by changing the people.

You guess right for some cases, like the one I just referenced above.

I really would like to hear from the libs on this:

If you're not you would know that it's not forever. In fact it usually only last for about 6 months if that.

Anybody......?

You guess right for some cases, like the one I just referenced above.

How about you be a little more informative? Like when did this happen?
If your talking about the company store days I'm going to laugh in your face.....seriously.

Anybody......?

Liberals have the ability to care about people in bad situations that they dont necessarily have to be in them self, and the American middle class is shrinking, trickle down actually means pour up to those few at the top, low wage workers are now the norm, Walmart is the nations largest private sector employer.

Anybody......?

Liberals have the ability to care about people in bad situations that they dont necessarily have to be in them self, and the American middle class is shrinking, trickle down actually means pour up to those few at the top, low wage workers are now the norm, Walmart is the nations largest private sector employer.

In other words, you mind everyone else's business except your own.

Anybody......?

In other words, you mind everyone else's business except your own.

In political topics yes, kind of what it is all about, if you dont understand such why are you even posting on a political message board?

Forum List

Back