Extended book excerpt from AOC Biography: Adrift, Broke, and Disillusioned How a struggling bartender became the face of a resurgent left

MORE EXCERPTS:

Meanwhile, Ocasio-Cortez and Swisher had started planning a trip to the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota. For Ocasio-Cortez, the election result was just the culmination of everything that had gone wrong in America since Reagan and even long before that. The president-elect, though grotesque, was a symptom, she would often say later. “I know that guy,” she once said, though at the time she had never met him. “I know him really, really well … I have bartended for Donald Trump. I’ve had guys catcall me who are Donald Trump in New York City.” Even his profession — “shady real-estate developers” — was a familiar, old-school New York archetype, “not, like, an aberration,” she added. A trip to Standing Rock, where protests had been ongoing since spring, would give her a moment to step off the treadmill and contemplate with seriousness the problems she cared about most: environmental degradation, racism, and control of the poor and the marginalized by politicians and businesses. A road trip would, in other words, give her a chance to think about a political future. From the moment they agreed to travel to Standing Rock, a run for office was “the elephant in the room,” Swisher recalls.
Or she could be an attention whore. She should look up her own when it comes to corruption and shadiness first. Puerto Rico should be rich beyond dreams. The amount of money from the mainland that it has received. Corruption, graft and stealing has stymied that. AOC is a print the Fiat Currency type of gal.

Forum List

Back