Extreme Rent Increases Are Killing US Businesses

You not buying a new mandolin pick put Sam Ash out of business?
Him, and HUNDREDS of others. A friend owns a music store down in Reno. Her business is down about 80%. That's instrument purchases, supplies, and lessons. Across the board she is getting hammered.

Fortunately she owns her building so I think she has a chance to survive.

They are needed in some businesses >>
  • Furniture - buyers need to sit on couches, chairs, mattresses to feel the comfort level.
  • Music instruments - buyers need to feel them, play them, and hear them.
  • Sporting goods - buyers need to hold fishing rods, tennis rackets, baseball bats, fielders gloves, etc and feel them
  • Beauty Salons - gotta be there
  • Home electronics - buyers need to see TV picture, hear sound, hold remote,
  • Music lessons - online just isn't as good
  • Shoes & Clothing - buyers need to try them on
  • Cars - gotta sit in them, road test them
  • etc
All these (plus online sales too) are losing sales when rents skyrocket
I sympathize with you, we are dinosaurs. Brick and mortar are yesterday's news and the younger generations are buying beds mail order online. Cars? LOL, they are buying them used online with trade-ins. Settle in, we are just along for the ride.

You have less money to spend on non essential luxury items. Musical instruments are luxury items.
1719811079956.png

MUCH less to spend.

Last edited:
I sympathize with you, we are dinosaurs. Brick and mortar are yesterday's news and the younger generations are buying beds mail order online. Cars? LOL, they are buying them used online with trade-ins. Settle in, we are just along for the ride.
I was counted in among those who say the younger generations are mindless robots, a long time ago. They often seem to think anything new is better than the old stuff. Not always true.

Him, and HUNDREDS of others. A friend owns a music store down in Reno. Her business is down about 80%. That's instrument purchases, supplies, and lessons. Across the board she is getting hammered.

Fortunately she owns her building so I think she has a chance to survive.
My point is that the DISPOSABLE INCOME in her community that she depends upon has shrunk so bad, that her customers no longer have hundreds of dollars to spend for those instruments. Those hundred$$$ hve been diverted away, and are now going to pay their super increased housing rents.

Owning a building is helpful, but it doesnt make up for disappearing customers/sales.

Forum List

Back