F-ing B of A

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I get a letter from "Bank of America" saying I need to claim unclaimed property.

I called the number and they said "can I have your social security number?"

I said "no"

I called back customer service and the fraud department and no one can verify the phone number or even the address of the "unclaimed property department"

The only reason why I have a B of A credit card is because they gave me 100 bucks in points.

From what I see on the internet it looks like the number is legit, but I just want to take a moment to congratulate Bank of America of their time honored tradition of being a complete , worthless, piece of sht bank.

It was a scam call probably using a spoofed number. There's another one out there where they tell you they are on a recorded line ask if you can hear them OK. If you say yes they use that recorded yes in another context to charge your phone account, or other services for bogus services.

I get a letter from "Bank of America" saying I need to claim unclaimed property.

I said "no"

I called back customer service and the fraud department and no one can verify the phone number or even the address of the "unclaimed property department"

The only reason why I have a B of A credit card is because they gave me 100 bucks in points.

From what I see on the internet it looks like the number is legit, but I just want to take a moment to congratulate Bank of America of their time honored tradition of being a complete , worthless, piece of sht bank.

If I'm not mistaken, the unclaimed property system is regulated by the government. BOA might be servicing it, but I think it's a state run system, and yeah they have to have your Social, and when I submitted my claim, they needed License and a cope of a W-2, and something else if I remember.

I doubt it was BOA. A LOT of this is going on. I black list them on my cell, and do not have a landline.

I just let voice mail pick up all my calls. I am a call screener! If I don't know you or have business with you, then I'm not answering the phone. I don't open my door if it's someone I don't recognize either. Fuck em. :D

I doubt it was BOA. A LOT of this is going on. I black list them on my cell, and do not have a landline.

I thought he got a letter from BOA.. but why would he get a letter from BOA...

Are scammers now sending letter for unclaimed funds?

This is why I don't have a credit card with any bank. It's not worth it. Never met a rich person yet that said "It was my Bank of America points that did it!". Warren Buffet said, get out of debt, stay out of debt, and never buy anything on credit.

I just let voice mail pick up all my calls. I am a call screener! If I don't know you or have business with you, then I'm not answering the phone. I don't open my door if it's someone I don't recognize either. Fuck em. :D

Right, if I don't know it, I don't answer. Then I will look the number up and usually it says it is a scam (not always). Then I blacklist.

This is why I don't have a credit card with any bank. It's not worth it. Never met a rich person yet that said "It was my Bank of America points that did it!". Warren Buffet said, get out of debt, stay out of debt, and never buy anything on credit.

OOPS. That part did not register with me. I don't know what to think then. Still could be a scam.
Oh and yes some ARE sending out letters. Just like the emails. We have had them join here and do the same to people.....

I used to have BoA. They will nickel and dime you to death with your checking account. I hated them. I use Citizens now, and I love them. They are open late, they have great customer service, my check book always balances out.

Come to think of it, I didn't even have a choice in the matter. I had an account with Fleet and then Bank of Boston merged with them, and they became "Bank of America." I stayed with them for a few years but got tired of their BS and switched over to Citizens.

I said "no"

Actually, I don't think banks contact you about unclaimed property. It is eventually sent to your states Dept of Revenue or such like that after a number of years. There is supposed to be a website to check if you have unclaimed property in any state. Try checking there first, but again it may not show up until after the time limit.
Keep investigating this, it may or may not be legit. But I don't blame you for not giving your SSN over the phone.

We've been with BOA for nearly 20 years and haven't really had a problem with them.

I do not bank with BOA, but I do have a credit card with them, and have never had a problem at all.

OOPS. That part did not register with me. I don't know what to think then. Still could be a scam.
Oh and yes some ARE sending out letters. Just like the emails. We have had them join here and do the same to people.....

It turns out some banks send out letters on unclaimed funds, usually because they take a small 'finders fee'.

But any company the size of Bank of America, any company that large, one department isn't going to know much about the existence of another department. I happen to work for a very large company. I know they have departments in Texas, California, and Tennessee. But I have no idea what they do, who works there, or what any number would be to reach those places.

So none of what he says strikes me as surprising or fraudulent or suspicious.

And while I don't know the specifics, my understanding is that they have to ask for Social, and other ID information in order to give him his money.

I have a landline so I don't give out my cell number.

On that line, the ring is muted and answering machine set to answer after 6 rings. That pretty much turns away all automated calls. For non automated calls, if they're patient to go thru 6 rings, I set my greeting to be a busy signal.

skank of america? i have a full legal packet filed ....they managed to put my payments in 'suspense' and could not explain that the hel that was....kept saying it would be correct at midnight...well midnight never came...i end up calling charlotte ...by that time they showed my mortgage 90 days late when i had made payments and had receipts...they were not accruing them to my account..the bankers could not figure out the final payment...they seemed unaware that i could walk in and demand a full accounting and demand the exact amount to pay it off...they wanted me to pay the pay off without the 3 payments...and thought i was unreasonable when i refused....i end up paying off my mortgage and getting a pile of legal documents stating i was never in arrears in my mortgage and it was totally a banking mistake...i told them at the time if it showed up on a credit report i would be suing the hell outta them..they paid attention then

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I don't either, the only reason I still have a landline is for internet service..

Forum List

Back