Facebook ‘Employee Error’ Responsible for PragerU 99.9999% Drop in Reach

These companies made billions via public relations and having the best attorneys.
MS destroyed their competition in the late 90s by giving software for free.
I see your historical knowledge of these companies is zero.

Yes, MS did, it was marketing genius!

I still remember the OS wars, Apple vs MicroSoft vs OS Warp.

The best product did not win, but the smartest man did.

Google is a search engine.

You are an idiot if you think that Google is only a search engine. Sure, they may have changed their name to Alphabet, but they are still Google to anyone over the age of 25.

Apple is destroying their competition by developing the best products.

Apple phones are not even that good, I use one more out of convenience than anything else and Apple is losing market share yearly.

They are only 4th in laptops, not even half of what HP sells. Macs are only 5th for sells for PCs.

Does not seem like destroying to me.

Why do you have such a hardon for Apple? They are just as evil as FB and all the other people you hate so very much

Government sales of MS platformed computers is a big reason for the Mac sales "deficit" for PCs. I think a lot of the laptop lag is because people are comfortable with Windows. As a MAC user myself, I will never go back to my Dell or HP laptops but that is just me.
I bought two Apples, and they both went south and took all my data with them. I'll never buy another Apple product.
How old were they?
Like, a year. The software may be fantastic, but their hardware is shit.

You are a true Libertarian...faithful to money and nothing else regardless of the lack of a moral compass.

I was hoodwinked by MS until my daughter showed me her Mac; Windows is OSX done mirror.
The iPhone...completely intuitive.
Almost everyone I work with and know in town has swapped out their Androids because they can’t figure out how to do anything without searching for it.

I’m dismayed by the reviews of laptops; it seems no one gets it right, especially Dell.
I would have to use a Custom Laptop sight.

Google is a search engine, pure and simple.
Every other project (Office Online and Glasses as examples and Google+) has either failed to catch on or has been a failure.

Steve Balmer took his H1-B team underground for several years and developed...a laptop.

Admiration for MS shows your non-existant moral fiber.

I have always been a gamer so I need a system suited for that, Mac is not that unless you wish to spend 10 times as much for the same performance.

Us old folks find the Iphone more intuitive, the younger generation has no problems with the Androids.

You speak of Apple innovation, but even you have to admit there really is not that much difference between the Iphone 5 and the Iphone 8.

Intriguing that you take the reporting of facts as admiration. You seem to be driven purely by emotion with very little logic in your view.

MS is successful at what they do, that is a fact proven out by their financial success.

Innovation tends to stall as a tech company grows. As the customer base increases, so does the demand for things to stay largely the same because users get frustrated when periodic updates force them to learn new ways of doing things or overwhelm them with new features, bells and whistles. Remember IBM? At one point the saying was that no one ever got fired for choosing IBM. Their massive installed customer base made it impossible for them to rapidly change with the emerging desktop market, which allowed Microsoft to rise. It will happen to Microsoft as well. How innovative can they really be with untold millions of users that don't want something new to learn every few months?

You are a true Libertarian...faithful to money and nothing else regardless of the lack of a moral compass.

I was hoodwinked by MS until my daughter showed me her Mac; Windows is OSX done mirror.
The iPhone...completely intuitive.
Almost everyone I work with and know in town has swapped out their Androids because they can’t figure out how to do anything without searching for it.

I’m dismayed by the reviews of laptops; it seems no one gets it right, especially Dell.
I would have to use a Custom Laptop sight.

Google is a search engine, pure and simple.
Every other project (Office Online and Glasses as examples and Google+) has either failed to catch on or has been a failure.

Steve Balmer took his H1-B team underground for several years and developed...a laptop.

Admiration for MS shows your non-existant moral fiber.

I have always been a gamer so I need a system suited for that, Mac is not that unless you wish to spend 10 times as much for the same performance.

Us old folks find the Iphone more intuitive, the younger generation has no problems with the Androids.

You speak of Apple innovation, but even you have to admit there really is not that much difference between the Iphone 5 and the Iphone 8.

Intriguing that you take the reporting of facts as admiration. You seem to be driven purely by emotion with very little logic in your view.

MS is successful at what they do, that is a fact proven out by their financial success.
It’s a character fault I share with most of my friends...I have no admiration for manipulators and cheats, whether it’s Rush massaging economic information or MS paying off the DOJ to stop the lawsuits.

Innovation tends to stall as a tech company grows. As the customer base increases, so does the demand for things to stay largely the same because users get frustrated when periodic updates force them to learn new ways of doing things or overwhelm them with new features, bells and whistles. Remember IBM? At one point the saying was that no one ever got fired for choosing IBM. Their massive installed customer base made it impossible for them to rapidly change with the emerging desktop market, which allowed Microsoft to rise. It will happen to Microsoft as well. How innovative can they really be with untold millions of users that don't want something new to learn every few months?
MS was kicking ass from 1991 to 1998.
They fired all their engineers and full H1-B apeshit and died.
How do you come up with SQL Server, Visual Basic, the Internet Explorer and Office, all super intuitive, and then just stop being innovative when all Bill Gates talks about is innovation?
Heck, almost everyone I know in high school and college (my friends children) doesn’t even know MS; all they know is Google and Apple.

How do you come up with SQL Server, Visual Basic, the Internet Explorer and Office, all super intuitive, and then just stop being innovative when all Bill Gates talks about is innovation?
Heck, almost everyone I know in high school and college (my friends children) doesn’t even know MS; all they know is Google and Apple.

Office over all it a terrible suite, only Excel is worth a darn with PowerPoint being ok. Word is terrible for anything more than typing a basic letter and Access is not a good DBMS, I do not know anyone or any company that uses it. It was again marketing and getting Govt contracts that put Office in the winning seat.

Lotus SmartSuite was a far superior set of programs, we used them in the Corps for like a year and than MS beat them out of the contract. It sucked moving to Office.

Office over all it a terrible suite, only Excel is worth a darn with PowerPoint being ok. Word is terrible for anything more than typing a basic letter and Access is not a good DBMS, I do not know anyone or any company that uses it. It was again marketing and getting Govt contracts that put Office in the winning seat.

Lotus SmartSuite was a far superior set of programs, we used them in the Corps for like a year and than MS beat them out of the contract. It sucked moving to Office.
I hate Excel because it’s the rigid younger sibling of Access, which can be designed to be a full blown Relational Database easily upgradable to SQL Server and the Access Report generator is second to none (Crystal Reports is a development nightmare).
For the last 8 years at my current job I have converted dozens of disparate Excel Worksheets to Access and now we have a unified system where different divisions can communicate easily.

I never worked with Lotus but I remember hearing administrators saying searching for data was a nightmare.
It could be they didn’t know what they were doing.

I'm a senior SQL Server DBA, have been for almost 20 years, and I see Access more often than you'd expect. What happens is a department wants to store some data "just for them" to use and don't want to engage IT to create a backend database and frontend app for data entry and reporting. It takes too long. Someone in the department says something like, "I've used Access before and I can knock that out in a few days". They do it, put the database on a file share, then they start pumping in their data. Unfortunately, they end up putting in business critical data and getting a bunch of people using the DB. Eventually, they have a multi-gig sized database with dozens of people trying to access it at the same time, and that's when they call IT to demand a fix. The DBA freaks out at the lack of security and backups, and a new project is born.

I hate Excel because it’s the rigid younger sibling of Access, which can be designed to be a full blown Relational Database easily upgradable to SQL Server and the Access Report generator is second to none (Crystal Reports is a development nightmare).
For the last 8 years at my current job I have converted dozens of disparate Excel Worksheets to Access and now we have a unified system where different divisions can communicate easily.

I never worked with Lotus but I remember hearing administrators saying searching for data was a nightmare.
The next step for you would be to load your data into a SQL Server backend and continue using Access for your frontend needs. That way you get the full security and backup utility of SQL Server but get to keep the familiar GUI.

I do not think Louts had enough of a shelf life for anyone to get really good at it. I liked it better than Access. I do agree though about Access reports.

I'm a senior SQL Server DBA, have been for almost 20 years, and I see Access more often than you'd expect. What happens is a department wants to store some data "just for them" to use and don't want to engage IT to create a backend database and frontend app for data entry and reporting. It takes too long. Someone in the department says something like, "I've used Access before and I can knock that out in a few days". They do it, put the database on a file share, then they start pumping in their data. Unfortunately, they end up putting in business critical data and getting a bunch of people using the DB. Eventually, they have a multi-gig sized database with dozens of people trying to access it at the same time, and that's when they call IT to demand a fix. The DBA freaks out at the lack of security and backups, and a new project is born.

I get what you are saying. I used Access back in the early 2000s to modernize the scheduling of the rages controlled by MCAS Yuma, which when I got there was being done on a big sheet of paper with pencil and eraser and then copied onto a Excel spreadsheet. It was ugly and there were commercial airliners in the same air space as fighters doing dog fights because of the mistakes being made. I bought a book on Access and taught myself to use it and developed a access point that could be accessed via the web. It worked well for something like that.

I have not used it since I left the Marines. My current job is as a statistician with my degree being in Applied Analytics. Have never used it on the job or in school.

Forum List

Back