Fair taxation.

Weird you don't know the top tax rate was cut under Dubya that lasted 10 years? In FACT the EFFECTIVE tax rates of the 'job creators' haven't had aa sustained low rate like this since before the GOP great depression of the 1920's

Still looking for info on Bush's huge rate cut?
Still trying to subtract his final rate from his initial rate? LOL!
I'll give you a hint, the top rate went from 39.6% all the way down to 35%.

Wow, that was a massive cut, more than any rate cut before.
Makes Reagan's 70% down to 28% cut look like chicken feed. Moron.

"Still looking for info on Bush's huge rate cut?"

THE actual posit

"Gave the most top end tax cuts for the longest period of time of any president"

10 YEARS HOW'D DUBYA'S TAX CUTS WORK OUT FOR US AGAIN? LOL

AND RONNIE CUT IT FROM 50% TO 28% , HE HAD 50% HIS FIRST 6 YEARS REMEMBER? HOW DID THE US ECONOMY HANDLE IT? lol

I guess $2+ trillion in new revenues from the middle class didn't matter, AS Ronnie's tax cuts for the rich were in place, lol

I know, Reagan's tax cuts for everyone were just awful. LOL!

Everyone? lol

Tax Cuts. One of the few areas where Reaganomists claim success without embarrassment is taxation. Didn't the Reagan administration, after all, slash income taxes in 1981, and provide both tax cuts and "fairness" in its highly touted tax reform law of 1986? Hasn't Ronald Reagan, in the teeth of opposition, heroically held the line against all tax increases?

The answer, unfortunately, is no
. In the first place, the famous "tax cut" of 1981 did not cut taxes at all. It's true that tax rates for higher-income brackets were cut; but for the average person, taxes rose, rather than declined. The reason is that, on the whole, the cut in income tax rates was more than offset by two forms of tax increase.

Right wing Mises, lol

Mises Daily Mises Institute

Everyone?

Everyone!

In 1980, Married Filing Jointly
Wages from $3,400-$5,500 were taxed at 14%
$5,500-$7,600 were taxed at 16%
$7,600-$11,900 were taxed at 18%
$11,900-$16,000 were taxed at 21%
$20,200-$24,600 were taxed at 28%
$24,600-$29,900 were taxed at 32%
$29,900-$35,200 were taxed at 37%
$35,200-$45,800 were taxed at 43%
$45,800-$60,000 were taxed at 49%
$60,000-$85,600 were taxed at 54%
$85,600-$109,400 were taxed at 59%
$109,400-$162,400 were taxed at 64%

In 1988 Married Filing Jointly
Wages from $0-$29,750 were taxed at 15%
Wages over $29,750 were taxed at 28%

Clearly the cuts on the bottom end were offset by a 0.8% increase in Social Security taxes on individuals. LOL!

taxmageddon.png

You've convinced me, rates for the bottom 90% were steadily rising until Reagan took office.
And thanks for the illustration of the Bush tax cuts across the spectrum.

Oh right AS Ronnie/Dubya increased spending which blew up the debt, lol

I guess the EXTRA $2+ TRILLION it raised and was spent the past 30+ years to hide Ronnie's tax cuts for the rich, don't really matter right? lol

I know, raising the rate from 10.8 percent to 12.4 percent. Just awful!

I guess $2+ trillion in new revenues from the middle class didn't matter, AS Ronnie's tax cuts for the rich were in place, lol

Everyone? lol

Tax Cuts. One of the few areas where Reaganomists claim success without embarrassment is taxation. Didn't the Reagan administration, after all, slash income taxes in 1981, and provide both tax cuts and "fairness" in its highly touted tax reform law of 1986? Hasn't Ronald Reagan, in the teeth of opposition, heroically held the line against all tax increases?

The answer, unfortunately, is no
. In the first place, the famous "tax cut" of 1981 did not cut taxes at all. It's true that tax rates for higher-income brackets were cut; but for the average person, taxes rose, rather than declined. The reason is that, on the whole, the cut in income tax rates was more than offset by two forms of tax increase.

Right wing Mises, lol

It's true that tax rates for higher-income brackets were cut; but for the average person, taxes rose, rather than declined.

If you get a chance, and a brain, let me know how much these average people made and how Reagan's tax cuts actually increased their taxes. LOL!

Secondly, while indeed income tax rates were cut in the higher brackets, many of the loophole plugs meant huge tax increases for people in the upper as well as middle income brackets. The point of the income tax, and particularly the marginal rate cuts, was the supply-sider objective of lowering taxes to stimulate savings and investment. But a National Bureau study by Hausman and Poterba on the Tax Reform Act shows that over 40% of the nation's taxpayers suffered a marginal tax increase (or at best, the same rate as before) and, of the majority that did enjoy marginal tax cuts, only 11% got reductions of 10% or more. In short, most of the tax reductions were negligible (EXCEPT FOR THE 'JOB CREATORS' OF COURSE, LOL). Not only that; the Tax Reform Act, these authors reckoned, would lower savings and investment overall because of the huge increases in taxes on business and on capital gains. Moreover savings were also hurt by the tax law's removal of tax deductibility on contributions to IRAs.

Yep, OVER $2 trillion since Ronnie increased SS taxes to 'save' SS? LOL

Of course he also doubled the rate on the self employed, made SS income taxable

"The 1977 amendments to the Social Security Act advanced the scheduled increases in the Social Security tax rate. For 1979-80, the rate increased to 10.16 percent, for 1981, the rate increased to 10.7 percent, and for 1982-1984, the rate increased to 10.8, or at least it was supposed to. The 1983 amendments to the Social Security Act – signed into law by Reagan in April of 1983 – increased the rate for 1984 to 11.4 percent, and kept it there until 1987. For 1988-89, the rate increased to 12.12 percent. The 1983 amendments – which Reagan signed – also mandated that the rate increase to 12.4 percent beginning in 1990. So Reagan was responsible for raising the rate from 10.8 percent to 12.4 percent – a 14.81 percent increase"

Reagan the Tax Raiser 8211 LewRockwell.com

" The Social Security Amendments of 1983 laid the foundation for 30-years of federal embezzlement of Social Security money in order to use the money to pay for wars, tax cuts and other government programs. The payroll tax hike of 1983 generated a total of $2.7 trillion in surplus Social Security revenue. "
Ronald Reagan and the Great Social Security Heist Dissident Voice

Weird, you can't refute the REASON Reagan did it was to hide the REAL costs of his tax cuts for the rich, you know my original posit? lol

So Reagan was responsible for raising the rate from 10.8 percent to 12.4 percent

I know, just awful!

I guess the EXTRA $2+ TRILLION it raised and was spent the past 30+ years to hide Ronnie's tax cuts for the rich, don't really matter right? lol

Everyone? lol

"that over 40% of the nation's taxpayers suffered a marginal tax increase"

Yeah, because THAT'S how it works *shaking head*

Many large U.S.-based multinational corporations avoid paying U.S. taxes by using accounting tricks to make profits made in America appear to be generated in offshore tax havens—countries with minimal or no taxes.

Bullshit, you're hocking up more propaganda without basis in reality again.

Multinational corporations have operations in other countries where they may or may not pay taxes but they are not subject to US taxation and are not in the jurisdiction of the IRS. There is no "trick" about this, it's just how things are in reality.

Yeah, because THAT'S how it works *shaking head*

Many large U.S.-based multinational corporations avoid paying U.S. taxes by using accounting tricks to make profits made in America appear to be generated in offshore tax havens—countries with minimal or no taxes.

Bullshit, you're hocking up more propaganda without basis in reality again.

Multinational corporations have operations in other countries where they may or may not pay taxes but they are not subject to US taxation and are not in the jurisdiction of the IRS. There is no "trick" about this, it's just how things are in reality.

Right, I'm spouting propaganda, lol

Offshore Shell Games 2014

Ugland House is a modest five-story office building in the Cayman Islands, yet it is the registered address for 18,857 companies.

The Cayman Islands, like many other offshore tax havens, levies no income taxes on companies incorporated there. Simply by registering subsidiaries in the Cayman Islands, U.S. companies can use legal accounting gimmicks to make much of their U.S.-earned profits appear to be earned in the Caymans and pay no taxes on them.

The vast majority of subsidiaries registered at Ugland House have no physical presence in the Caymans other than a post office box. About half of these companies have their billing address in the U.S., even while they are officially registered in the Caymans. This unabashedly false corporate “presence” is one of the hallmarks of a tax haven subsidiary.

The Congressional Research Service found that in 2008, American multinational companies collectively reported 43 percent of their foreign earnings in five small tax haven countries: Bermuda, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. Yet these countries accounted for only 4 percent of the companies’ foreign workforce and just 7 percent of their foreign investment.

Offshore Shell Games 2014 CTJReports

ATF_star_yellow.png

December 11, 2014
Burger King’s Inversion: A Whopper of a Tax Dodge
Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) released a new report showing that Burger King’s planned “inversion” will allow the company and its leading shareholders to avoid an estimated $400 million to $1.2 billion in U.S. taxes between 2015 and 2018.

ATF_star_yellow.png

November 20, 2014
How Walmart is Dodging Billions in Taxes: And Scheming to Avoid Billions More
This new Americans for Tax Fairness report exposes how Walmart uses tax breaks to dodge a whopping $1 billion in federal taxes each year and how it plans to further increase that amount.

Americans for Tax Fairness

Looking at the charts below I get the impression that corporations are not paying their fair share of taxes.
Is there a way to get to the pre- 70's situation where they payed their fair share of taxes ?

Corporate_Income_Tax_as_a_Share_of_GDP%2C_1946_-_2009.png

Federal_Receipts_by_Source.svg
You'll forgive me for being a bit libertarian, but no tax is fair. The taking of proceeds by force is, by its very nature, morally bankrupt.

:)

Have a nice day.

Looking at the charts below I get the impression that corporations are not paying their fair share of taxes.
Is there a way to get to the pre- 70's situation where they payed their fair share of taxes ?

Corporate_Income_Tax_as_a_Share_of_GDP%2C_1946_-_2009.png

Federal_Receipts_by_Source.svg
You'll forgive me for being a bit libertarian, but no tax is fair. The taking of proceeds by force is, by its very nature, morally bankrupt.

Have a nice day.

Yes, because nations are free to run on libertarian philosophy. Name ANY? Ever? lol

"The only orthodox object of the institution of government is to secure the greatest degree of happiness possible to the general mass of those associated under it."

Thomas Jefferson

Weird you don't know the top tax rate was cut under Dubya that lasted 10 years? In FACT the EFFECTIVE tax rates of the 'job creators' haven't had aa sustained low rate like this since before the GOP great depression of the 1920's

THE actual posit

"Gave the most top end tax cuts for the longest period of time of any president"

AND RONNIE CUT IT FROM 50% TO 28% , HE HAD 50% HIS FIRST 6 YEARS REMEMBER? HOW DID THE US ECONOMY HANDLE IT? lol

Reagan cut from 70% to 28%. I'm not a liberal, but that looks like a much larger drop than 39.6% to 35%. Idiot.

many of the loophole plugs meant huge tax increases for people in the upper as well as middle income brackets.

Wait a minute, liberals are in favor of loopholes now? When did that happen? LOL!

So Reagan was responsible for raising the rate from 10.8 percent to 12.4 percent

I know, just awful!

Everyone? lol

That claim is in conflict with your chart.

ATF_star_yellow.png

December 11, 2014
Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) released a new report showing that Burger King’s planned “inversion” will allow the company and its leading shareholders to avoid an estimated $400 million to $1.2 billion in U.S. taxes between 2015 and 2018.

ATF_star_yellow.png

November 20, 2014
This new Americans for Tax Fairness report exposes how Walmart uses tax breaks to dodge a whopping $1 billion in federal taxes each year and how it plans to further increase that amount.

Of course it will. Burger King won't have to pay US taxes on its Canadian profits.
Of course it will still pay US taxes on US earnings.
If we stopped trying to tax Canadian earnings, this would have been a non-event.

ATF_star_yellow.png

December 11, 2014

ATF_star_yellow.png

November 20, 2014

Of course it will. Burger King won't have to pay US taxes on its Canadian profits.
Of course it will still pay US taxes on US earnings.
If we stopped trying to tax Canadian earnings, this would have been a non-event.
\

lol

Dishonst POS. Shocking

Everyone? lol

That claim is in conflict with your chart.

Nope

THE actual posit

Reagan cut from 70% to 28%. I'm not a liberal, but that looks like a much larger drop than 39.6% to 35%. Idiot.

ONCE MORE:

"Gave the most top end tax cuts for the longest period of time of any president""

THE actual posit

ONCE MORE:

"Gave the most top end tax cuts for the longest period of time of any president""

Reagan cut rates from 70%...to 50%...to 38.5%...to 28%.
While Bush cut them 39.6%...to 39.1%...to 38.6%...to 35%

Yeah, I can see why you'd claim Bush's tax cuts were the most.
It's because you're an idiot.

THE actual posit

ONCE MORE:

Reagan cut rates from 70%...to 50%...to 38.5%...to 28%.
While Bush cut them 39.6%...to 39.1%...to 38.6%...to 35%

Yeah, I can see why you'd claim Bush's tax cuts were the most.
It's because you're an idiot.

Within months of taking office, Bush delivered a tax break to the rich that trumps anything he accomplished through the actual tax code.
"The most important thing the Bush administration did in the whole area of taxes," says Johnston, "was to kill tax harmonization."

"Tax harmonization" was economic jargon for a joint project by the world's developed countries to shut down offshore tax havens in places like the Cayman Islands. At the time, such illicit havens were costing U.S. taxpayers $70 billion a year. For Republicans, going after big-time tax evaders should have been as American as apple pie. As Reagan once said of such cheats: "When they do not pay their taxes, someone else does – you and me."

But for Bush and other leaders of the Party of the Rich, blocking corporations from hiding their money overseas wasn't an act of patriotism – it was tyranny

Rep. Dick Armey, the GOP majority leader, railed against tax harmonization as an effort to create a "global network of tax police." One of Bush's biggest donors, Enron, was using a network of nearly 900 offshore tax hideaways to pay no corporate taxes – while reporting massive profits that later turned out to be fraudulent. In one of his first acts as president, Bush "basically vetoed the initiative," says Stiglitz.

The veto spurred a cavalcade of corporations – including stalwart American firms like Stanley Works – to pursue phony "headquarters" in Bermuda and other lax-tax nations. The move not only encouraged some of the world's richest companies to avoid paying any U.S. taxes, it let them book overseas-"expenses" that qualified them for lucrative tax deductions. In one of the most notorious cases, GE filed for a $3 billion tax rebate in 2009, despite boasting profits of more than $14 billion.

But Bush wasn't content to simply make the world safe for corporate tax evaders: He also pushed to deliver $1.6 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthiest individuals.

Page 3 of How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich Rolling Stone

The entire Global Warming agenda is being promoted by Socialists who seek to leach onto capitalism. Their enemy is not man-made CO2, it is capitalism.

Boss,
How much have you traveled ? I've been through al LA and I've seen the glaciars from the Andes and Mexico. They are retreating. I've talked with Swedes, and people from Norway . It's the same al over the world the glaciars on top of the mountains are disapearing. Many people foucus just on Greenland and the South Pole. You ar right, there are reports claiming a slight increase of ice in the South Pole. That doesn't change the way the glaciars are disapearing in the rest of the world. Even more , glaciars in Greenland are still retreating.
I don't know to which point this warming is man made or if it wise trying to stop it, what I do know is that we must plan for the weather changes occurring. Droght in CA, which produces tons of food. Some planning must be done to ensure it continues producing.

Have a nice day.
Nice theory . How do you expect that a government is run if no taxes are collected ?
Unless you are anarchist, in which case I would agree , if we come up with a way in which society can be run with no government then we could achieve the anarchist utopia.
We are still a very long way from producing such a society, lots of technological advances are still needed.

Forum List

Back