Falling off motercycles.

Awhile back I relayed an incedent I had where I applied my front break and my bike went down. Larsky responded in a way that inspired me to really examine why I made my bike to down. I left it at the the possibility that Larsky rides a fairly modern bike with ABS and that's why he can get away with just using front break. So yesterday I was riding with a guy from work and his girlfriend. She wanted to practice some. Itnwas raining pretty good yesterday, just a crappy day. It started raining really bad so we headed to our homes. Now, as we headed out we were on a side road that heads into a main road, there is a signal light, and a left turn and you are on the main road. She was moving pretty good, maybe 25 30 mph. She began to slow us to, then right before she made the turn, she just falls right over to the left. Her bike is a 2000 sportster. Pretty plane Jane bike, but real nice. So I figure this is either heavy use of front break, or maybe trying to down shift in the turn? I tried looking for a YouTube for some possibilities, what I noticed is that people who rode big bikes seem to go down the same way. Low speed and almost always in a turn. Is this improper breaking, or improper shifting?
I learned when I was just a junior caveman to use the front brake sparingly and softly because of that reason.

Yep. I never road much on the asphalt, but was taught from the get to only use back brakes

You get the majority of your braking power with the front brake.
I've always used it hard and often,even in corners if conditions are good.
Of course I learned how to use it on a dirt bike where the fuck ups dont hurt near as bad.
My road skills came from dirt biking, and I have never dumped a street bike. Haven't rode for two years since my 82 Honda Davidson started smoking like a mosquito fogger.:(

Really want a newer bike, but not currently in my economic forecast.

Sold my Yamaha Warrior a couple of years ago .
Started with a Yamaha GT80 at ten,Then to a Yamaha YZ80,then a YZ125 to a Yamaha FZ750 Genesis and finally the Warrior.
Looking at The Yamaha WR250R Dual sport right now.
Want something light weight to tool around on the trails and still be able to ride it on the street.
And at $6700 bucks it's cheap as hell!!
1595170077184.png

Awhile back I relayed an incedent I had where I applied my front break and my bike went down. Larsky responded in a way that inspired me to really examine why I made my bike to down. I left it at the the possibility that Larsky rides a fairly modern bike with ABS and that's why he can get away with just using front break. So yesterday I was riding with a guy from work and his girlfriend. She wanted to practice some. Itnwas raining pretty good yesterday, just a crappy day. It started raining really bad so we headed to our homes. Now, as we headed out we were on a side road that heads into a main road, there is a signal light, and a left turn and you are on the main road. She was moving pretty good, maybe 25 30 mph. She began to slow us to, then right before she made the turn, she just falls right over to the left. Her bike is a 2000 sportster. Pretty plane Jane bike, but real nice. So I figure this is either heavy use of front break, or maybe trying to down shift in the turn? I tried looking for a YouTube for some possibilities, what I noticed is that people who rode big bikes seem to go down the same way. Low speed and almost always in a turn. Is this improper breaking, or improper shifting?
I learned when I was just a junior caveman to use the front brake sparingly and softly because of that reason.

Yep. I never road much on the asphalt, but was taught from the get to only use back brakes

Of course I learned how to use it on a dirt bike where the fuck ups dont hurt near as bad.
My road skills came from dirt biking, and I have never dumped a street bike. Haven't rode for two years since my 82 Honda Davidson started smoking like a mosquito fogger.:(

Started with a Yamaha GT80 at ten,Then to a Yamaha YZ80,then a YZ125 to a Yamaha FZ750 Genesis and finally the Warrior.
Want something light weight to tool around on the trails and still be able to ride it on the street.
View attachment 364985

One of my brothers almost became roadkill on a YZ80 when he was sideswiped in a hit and run. It is a big part of the reason I never road on the asphalt except in sneaking the bike across roads between my house and the trails we rode on the other side of the neighborhood.

View attachment 364985

One of my brothers almost became roadkill on a YZ80 when he was sideswiped in a hit and run. It is a big part of the reason I never road on the asphalt except in sneaking the bike across roads between my house and the trails we rode on the other side of the neighborhood.

Yeah...I think every kid has a close to death moment on a bike.
I know I did.

View attachment 364985

I know I did.

Hey at least he got two brand spanking new knees out of the deal

View attachment 364985

I know I did.

Thats fucked up if he was a youngster. But also good....ya tend to heal up faster.
But I'd trade em straight up for my back surgery and five hip surgeries on the same hip.
As soon as I'm able i'm back on a new bike.

Nothing like a nice road rash to focus the attention.

I'll never forget the time my buddy Harry was riding his flat track bike with a dude on back.
Went into a wheelie and the guy slide off the back at about 70 mph.
He got sucked up in between the wheel and the fender and bounced along on his head until Harry could bring the bike to a stop.
While he ended up with a knot on his head and a few stitches his ass was the worst!!!
Once he got back from the hospital he dropped trow and we all freaked out!!!
He damn near lost all the meat on his ass to the bone!!!!
Ended up needing a skin graft.

Many years ago I was making a slow left handed leaning turn onto my driveway while riding a Super Glide.
Just barely taped the front brake and the bike went down in front of some friends. Talk about embarrassing.
From that day on, I never touched the front brake except when going straight, and only in conjunction while using the rear brake first. ... :cool:

I did the same thing a few years back after not laying down a street bike for 50 years. I'm sure I looked like the guy that was on Laugh-In and always tipped over his tricycle. Worse, my right foot was caught under it and at 700+ pounds, I couldn't get my foot out.

Many years ago I was making a slow left handed leaning turn onto my driveway while riding a Super Glide.
Just barely taped the front brake and the bike went down in front of some friends. Talk about embarrassing.
From that day on, I never touched the front brake except when going straight, and only in conjunction while using the rear brake first. ... :cool:

I did the same thing a few years back after not laying down a street bike for 50 years. I'm sure I looked like the guy that was on Laugh-In and always tipped over his tricycle. Worse, my right foot was caught under it and at 700+ pounds, I couldn't get my foot out.

A chick I knew around the corner Juley was on the same bike with Harry when he laid it down and got her foot caught.
Her foot ended up burnt to hell and it scarred badly!

View attachment 364985

I know I did.

Thats fucked up if he was a youngster. But also good....ya tend to heal up faster.
But I'd trade em straight up for my back surgery and five hip surgeries on the same hip.

He was 18 at the time. He has to be super careful not to stress them because they can't do that surgery but twice and those fake knees wear out. He may end up in a chair before it is over.

"Back in the Day", I raced Enduros for a number of years. I had a number of bikes but I only raced Penton's, built especially for Enduros. We have a lot of sand, water, and mud here in the SE. I usually changed brake pads after every other race unless they were exceptionally long. Somehow I missed doing it for a race in central Florida. The rear brakes went out about 1/3 into the 100-mile event. It got to be comical, I'd go into a turn in sand with only front brakes and womp, down I went, up and off again, next turn in sand or water, WOMP down again. I got to laughing so hard I couldn't ride anyway.

A chick I knew around the corner Juley was on the same bike with Harry when he laid it down and got her foot caught.

That would have happened to me but I was wearing heavy socks and good motorcycle boots.

At a fuel stop during a race whoever put my gas cap back on didn't tighten it down all the way. There was a lot of water on the run so I was soaked. Gas was mixing with the water and I didn't notice until I hit a time check. I tightened it and went on. Talk about chemical burns. My crotch and thighs were on fire. It took years for the discoloration to completely go away.

I don't have ABS. From braking gives you more control. And why would you brake in a turn? Especially on wet pavement. Total rookie move.

View attachment 364985

I know I did.

He was 18 at the time. He has to be super careful not to stress them because they can't do that surgery but twice and those fake knees wear out. He may end up in a chair before it is over.

Yeah they do wear out.
I've got one more surgery to go on the hip and I should be good for 20 years. Of course I still have the back surgery to worry about down the line.
Your Bro should be good till at least 60 and with all the new med breakthroughs hopefully a wheelchair wont be in his future.

That would have happened to me but I was wearing heavy socks and good motorcycle boots.

At a fuel stop during a race whoever put my gas cap back on didn't tighten it down all the way. There was a lot of water on the run so I was soaked. Gas was mixing with the water and I didn't notice until I hit a time check. I tightened it and went on. Talk about chemical burns. My crotch and thighs were on fire. It took years for the discoloration to completely go away.

Yeah that shit will mess you up if you dont wash it off.
Overfilled my zippo and it did the same thing,took years for it to fad as well.

See, in the motercycle safety course they said to apply both, evenly. I'm working now, but I'll show a video of a guy doing the same thing. There is no panic, just turn, and plop.

Forum List

Back