Family mourns man killed trying to stop shooting spree

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Family mourns man killed while trying to stop shooting spree | Las Vegas Review-Journal

web1_web_wilcox_2.jpg

Joseph Robert Wilcox wasn’t one for the limelight.

And yet the 31-year-old Las Vegan is being heralded as a hero for giving his life while trying to stop Jerad and Amanda Miller in the midst of their shooting spree in the east valley late Sunday morning.

After executing two Las Vegas police officers at CiCi’s Pizza, Jerad Miller entered a nearby Wal-Mart, at Nellis Boulevard and Stewart Avenue, fired a round in the air and ordered everyone to leave, setting off a panic. It was at that point, instead of running, Wilcox approached Jerad Miller from behind.

Law enforcement sources said Wilcox, who had a concealed weapons permit and carried a handgun, was ready to “end it” when Amanda Miller, who was behind Wilcox, shot and killed him.

Standing outside her home in the Sunrise Oaks mobile home park off of Lamb Boulevard near Washington Avenue on Monday afternoon, Debra Wilcox took phone calls from reporters, accepted a 3-foot tall teddy bear from a neighbor and lamented that her son was not there to see it all.

“I wish Joseph could see this. That everybody was grateful for what he tried to do,” said Debra Wilcox, fighting back tears.

There were more phone calls from relatives and friends. There were more tears shed by his extended family.

Debra Wilcox tried to stay strong. “I want him back home,” she said.

How a "good guy with a gun" took a fatal bullet to the back

Joseph Wilcox is dead today because he strapped on his gun before he left for Wal Mart two days ago. Sadly, his family doesn't have the money to pay for his burial:

While dealing with their grief, Wilson said family members have the added burden of trying to find the financial means to provide a proper burial for Joseph Wilcox.

Debra Wilcox said she has no money to pay for her son’s funeral expenses.

If you want to help the family out, here is the info to make a donation:

Wilcox Memorial Fund

A memorial fund has been set up for Joseph Wilcox at Wells Fargo. Those who wish to contribute to the Joseph R. Wilcox Memorial Fund can do so using account number 8485852688.

I am sorry that Joseph Wilcox lost his life. I am also sorry that he believed the propaganda that told him he needed to carry a gun in order to be safe in an urban environment.

It ended up costing him his life.

We've got to end this madness.

Remember the shooting insurance so when a nutter shoots someone, they've got insurance to pay for their defense...

Might be a good idea to include coverage for the poor families to bury their dead.

You nutters who are afraid to leave the house without your gun - Do you carry life insurance so your family can afford to bury you? And, how many of you will send a few bucks to this poor family?

nice job on shitting on this guy's life by making it about your rabid anti gun crusade

you're pathetic luddly

Nice job using this man's needless death to sell more guns. But, he knew what he was doing. Its his family who's suffering because he had to play Mighty Mouse.

Like I said, we've got to end this madness.

nice job on shitting on this guy's life by making it about your rabid anti gun crusade

you're pathetic luddly

Nice job using this man's needless death to sell more guns. But, he knew what he was doing. Its his family who's suffering because he had to play Mighty Mouse.

i tried to sell more guns? can you for once be honest luddly?

you shit on this guys life in order to pursue your rabid anti gun crusade. if he used a knife or a car you would never have posted this story. you are a sick individual.

He shouldn't have tried to play the hero. The safest thing to do is to protect yourself.

you're pathetic luddly

Gun control works if you take all guns away, but that only works if the vast majority of the people support that type of ban. There is no such support for that type of ban in the US, so it's not going to happen.

you're pathetic luddly

Gun control works if you take all guns away, but that only works if the vast majority of the people support that type of ban. There is no such support for that type of ban in the US, so it's not going to happen.
With 300 million guns in our nation i believe you are right. I would not give mine up

you're pathetic luddly

you shit on this guys life in order to pursue your rabid anti gun crusade. if he used a knife or a car you would never have posted this story. you are a sick individual.

No he can't.

No he can't.

His honesty is exactly what you dislike about him most. He's got a different point of view than you....and he states it. You'd prefer that he wouldn't.

The dishonesty here comes from Yurt....who knows that Luddy wasn't referring to Yurt personally selling guns. Why is it that Yurt keyed in on that? Is it because he's so honest?

Having a gun doesn't GUARANTEE you safety, but it DOES give you a fightging chance against criminals.

Liberals are ALWAYS looking to make you defenseless and dependent.

Family mourns man killed while trying to stop shooting spree | Las Vegas Review-Journal

web1_web_wilcox_2.jpg

Joseph Robert Wilcox wasn’t one for the limelight.

And yet the 31-year-old Las Vegan is being heralded as a hero for giving his life while trying to stop Jerad and Amanda Miller in the midst of their shooting spree in the east valley late Sunday morning.

After executing two Las Vegas police officers at CiCi’s Pizza, Jerad Miller entered a nearby Wal-Mart, at Nellis Boulevard and Stewart Avenue, fired a round in the air and ordered everyone to leave, setting off a panic. It was at that point, instead of running, Wilcox approached Jerad Miller from behind.

Law enforcement sources said Wilcox, who had a concealed weapons permit and carried a handgun, was ready to “end it” when Amanda Miller, who was behind Wilcox, shot and killed him.

Standing outside her home in the Sunrise Oaks mobile home park off of Lamb Boulevard near Washington Avenue on Monday afternoon, Debra Wilcox took phone calls from reporters, accepted a 3-foot tall teddy bear from a neighbor and lamented that her son was not there to see it all.

“I wish Joseph could see this. That everybody was grateful for what he tried to do,” said Debra Wilcox, fighting back tears.

There were more phone calls from relatives and friends. There were more tears shed by his extended family.

Debra Wilcox tried to stay strong. “I want him back home,” she said.

How a "good guy with a gun" took a fatal bullet to the back

Joseph Wilcox is dead today because he strapped on his gun before he left for Wal Mart two days ago. Sadly, his family doesn't have the money to pay for his burial:

While dealing with their grief, Wilson said family members have the added burden of trying to find the financial means to provide a proper burial for Joseph Wilcox.

Debra Wilcox said she has no money to pay for her son’s funeral expenses.

If you want to help the family out, here is the info to make a donation:

Wilcox Memorial Fund

A memorial fund has been set up for Joseph Wilcox at Wells Fargo. Those who wish to contribute to the Joseph R. Wilcox Memorial Fund can do so using account number 8485852688.

I am sorry that Joseph Wilcox lost his life. I am also sorry that he believed the propaganda that told him he needed to carry a gun in order to be safe in an urban environment.

It ended up costing him his life.

We've got to end this madness.

The madness will never end until people like you quit with your stupidity. We have a mental health problem in this country that liberals are trying to make into a gun problem.

YOU are the problem asshole.

Joseph Wilcox is a hero. Nothing anyone says or does will change this fact. I have no doubts that if he had seen someone drowning, he would have given his life trying to save that person.

It just happens that he gave his life trying to save untold others from 2 deranged individuals.

Thank you Joseph for giving us your very best and doing it of your own free will.

He shouldn't have tried to play the hero. The safest thing to do is to protect yourself.

He may not have been trying to 'play the hero.' His only thought may have been to stop the shooting. However, it didn't work, and, to me, this is a salient point. The pro-gun people are always saying that if people were armed, they could stop things like mass shootings. Obviously, as we can see from this incident, that isn't true.

In the US, we have more guns per capita than any country on Earth, nearly twice as many per capita as Yemen or Serbia. Doesn't that say anything to anyone? Don't the right wing gun enthusiasts get it at all? This is a very, very violent country. For private citizens to own so many guns is sick; it's a sickness.

Guns per 100 people: US = 97, Serbia = 58.2, and Yemen = 54.8

Forum List

Back