Family mourns man killed trying to stop shooting spree

A civil war over guns. Though the percentage of guns in the country is high, the percentage of people who own guns is low. Most people are not with you and will not support you or fight side by side with you over guns. (Fortunately most Americans are sane.) As well, whatever crazy fire power you think you have, it is no match for the US military. What a joke. Declaring war against the government is treason. You will end up dead or spending the rest of your life in prison. Better come up with another plan.

Yea right.. That's why we have open carry and there's not a damn thing you leftists can do about it. LMAO If you hadn't noticed Tokyo Rose, we're winning the battle on the right to keep and bear arms.. < winks > Don't take that as flirting.. I like women soft and sensual.

As I have often said, I'm in favor of open carry.

If you live in the US, the war to keep and bear arms was fought and won a long tine ago and not by whiny little conservatives. They were busy turning progressives over to the king of England.

I don't really care how you like women but the ones I call my friends would react the same way I do at all this silly posturing and swagger. Grow up and live in the real world.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

you're a damn liar. you are not in favor of open carry.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/362006-4-honest-gun-nutters.html

Yea right.. That's why we have open carry and there's not a damn thing you leftists can do about it. LMAO If you hadn't noticed Tokyo Rose, we're winning the battle on the right to keep and bear arms.. < winks > Don't take that as flirting.. I like women soft and sensual.

Oh, so you are actually a man....that adds up. Or possibly bi, or gay, or trans? :D

Apparently he/she is confused by a lot things. In other threads, it says it's a Christian but later said it isn't.

Whut

Ever.

Maybe tomorrow it will be something else.

Or maybe it will be fighting the Revolution and winning us our right to keep and bear arms.

Or not.

Frankly, I thing some of these folks are posting from a padded room.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Once more Nutty, show everyone where I have ever said I am a Christian?? You can't.. Because I haven't and that's because I'm not.

Like I said -

I really wish the nutters would think about what comes after. You write as though you think killing a "bad guy" makes you some kind of hero, that it makes you special and that you get to celebrate that and others celebrate it.

You just could not be more wrong.

Yet you routinely label cops as heroes because they kill bad guys.

Interesting.

Another tangent.

You're not reading what I write. Here it is again:

I really wish the nutters would think about what comes after. You write as though you think killing a "bad guy" makes you some kind of hero, that it makes you special and that you get to celebrate that and others celebrate it.

You just could not be more wrong.

If he had stopped the killings Obama would have called him a hero, does that make him a nutter, or does it make you wrong?

In the US, we have more guns per capita than any country on Earth, nearly twice as many per capita as Yemen or Serbia. Doesn't that say anything to anyone? Don't the right wing gun enthusiasts get it at all? This is a very, very violent country. For private citizens to own so many guns is sick; it's a sickness.

Guns per 100 people: US = 97, Serbia = 58.2, and Yemen = 54.8

actually with all those guns and only .00003 of them ever killing someone it tells me we are a very nonviolent country. the number of guns that actually ever kills someone is an incredibly small percentage. in fact with that percentage, any other item would be labeled as no risk. imagine a medication that only had a negative impact on .00003 of the people who took it. it would be a total homerun.

another fact is, while the number of guns continues to increase rapidly, 66,000,000 more in the last 5 years, the number of deaths continues to decrease. more guns = less deaths.

High gun ownership makes countries less safe, US study finds

American journal expedites publication of study in wake of navy yard shooting that debunks belief guns make a nation safer

The US, with the most guns per head in the world, has the highest rate of deaths from firearms.

Guns do not make a nation safer, say US doctors who have compared the rate of firearms-related deaths in countries where many people own guns with the death rate in countries where gun ownership is rare.

Their findings, published Wednesday in the prestigious American Journal of Medicine, debunk the historic belief among many people in the United States that guns make a country safer, they say. On the contrary, the US, with the most guns per head in the world, has the highest rate of deaths from firearms, while Japan, which has the lowest rate of gun ownership, has the least.

The journal has fast-tracked publication of the study because of the shootings at the Washington navy yard. It was originally scheduled for later this week.

It follows an emotional appeal from a doctor at the trauma center in Washington where the victims of Aaron Alexis' random violence were taken. "I would like you to put my trauma center out of business," Janis Orlowski, chief medical officer at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, told reporters in the aftermath of the massacre. "I would like to not be an expert on gunshots. Let's get rid of this. This is not America."

The fraught question of whether gun ownership protects populations from crime or makes them less likely to be killed has been debated for 200 years, say the authors, Sripal Bangalore of NYU Langone Medical Center, and Franz H Messerli of St Luke's Roosevelt hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York. They say the arguments began as soon as the second amendment stating "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" was passed in 1791.

At one end is the argument that gun control laws are an infringement on the right to self-defense and on constitutional rights, and that there is no evidence that banning assault weapons would reduce crime. At the other end is the view that fewer firearms would reduce crime rates and overall lead to greater safety, they say.

In some of the recent mass shootings – for instance those in Aurora, Tucson, Oak Creek, Virginia Tech – it has been suggested that the killer was mentally ill and that lack of treatment was a bigger issue than gun ownership. With this in mind, the New York-based doctors looked in their study not only at the relationship of gun ownership to firearms deaths but also mental illness.

They examined data from 27 developed countries, using gun ownership figures from the Small Arms Survey and deaths from the World Health Organisation, the National Center for Health Statistics and others. They also looked at crime rates compiled by the United Nations for an indication of the safety of each country.

More guns meant more deaths, they found. "The gun ownership rate was a strong and independent predictor of firearm-related death," says Bangalore. "Private gun ownership was highest in the US. Japan, on the other end, had an extremely low gun ownership rate. Similarly, South Africa (9.4 per 100,000) and the US (10.2 per 100,000) had extremely high firearm-related deaths, whereas the United Kingdom (0.25 per 100,000) had an extremely low rate of firearm-related deaths.

"There was a significant correlation between guns per head per country and the rate of firearm-related deaths with Japan being on one end of the spectrum and the US being on the other. This argues against the notion of more guns translating into less crime. South Africa was the only outlier in that the observed firearms-related death rate was several times higher than expected from gun ownership."

High rates of mental illness in any country, on the other hand, did not predict more gun deaths.

"Although correlation is not the same as causation, it seems conceivable that abundant gun availability facilitates firearm-related deaths. Conversely, high crime rates may instigate widespread anxiety and fear, thereby motivating people to arm themselves and give rise to increased gun ownership, which, in turn, increases availability. The resulting vicious cycle could, bit by bit, lead to the polarized status that is now the case with the US," the doctors write.

"Regardless of exact cause and effect, the current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that countries with higher gun ownership are safer than those with low gun ownership."
High gun ownership makes countries less safe, US study finds | World news | theguardian.com

Yeah, I know, I know. The people doing the study have an agenda. They are doctors. Their agenda is to keep people healthy and alive.

You should do a search of the forum, that study has been thoroughly debunked.

He likes women 'soft and sensual.' I wonder what that means....having no opinion? Or only expressing her opinion in a gentle whisper, hesitantly, to avoid offense? LOL Those days are long gone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFvbOwToxA]'Women know your limits' Harry Enfield and chums BBC sketch - YouTube[/ame]

He may not have been trying to 'play the hero.' His only thought may have been to stop the shooting. However, it didn't work, and, to me, this is a salient point. The pro-gun people are always saying that if people were armed, they could stop things like mass shootings. Obviously, as we can see from this incident, that isn't true.

So you use one example and it is now the standard?

So policemen get killed in the line of duty, should we disarm them?

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

And you choose to overlook the obvious fact that it is far more common and far more likely for an untrained, private citizen to be injured or killed when using a firearm.

Far more common than what? Automobile accidents? Accidents in general? Your imagination?

In the US, we have more guns per capita than any country on Earth, nearly twice as many per capita as Yemen or Serbia. Doesn't that say anything to anyone? Don't the right wing gun enthusiasts get it at all? This is a very, very violent country. For private citizens to own so many guns is sick; it's a sickness.

actually with all those guns and only .00003 of them ever killing someone it tells me we are a very nonviolent country. the number of guns that actually ever kills someone is an incredibly small percentage. in fact with that percentage, any other item would be labeled as no risk. imagine a medication that only had a negative impact on .00003 of the people who took it. it would be a total homerun.

another fact is, while the number of guns continues to increase rapidly, 66,000,000 more in the last 5 years, the number of deaths continues to decrease. more guns = less deaths.

That's patently ridiculous.

More Guns always equals more deaths by guns.

That explains why murders always go up when states loosen gun control laws, except for the fact that FBI says it doesn't actually work that way.

My guess is that 99.9 percent of those who think they are prepared to defend themselves by killing someone have never killed a human being and have no idea what it's like. Also, same statistic, they have never been in a situation where there was gunfire and they have no idea how they would react. Also, same statistic, they have never been in a situation where their life was threatened with violence, and even if they were carrying a gun, they don't know at all how they'd react or if the gun would actually protect them. That situation usually backfires (pun intended). They are all hot air. Windbags. Blustering little beings thinking the gun makes them tough.

That applies to everyone on Earth, even the police. what's your point? Should we get rid of the police because they can't know how they will react until they are in that situation? Does that make them a bunch of windbags? Most gun owners don't want to shoot people, they just want to be left alone. The only windbags in this situation are the idiots that insist that they know everything, like Duddly and you.

Yeah we get it, YOU don't. What idiots such as yourself don't get is that the problem is NOT the guns. The problem is our culture combined with mental health. Until you lefties quit standing on the dead bodies of victims, trying to take the rights away from the law-abiding, we will continue to have a problem.

YOU are the problem asshole.

i tried to sell more guns? can you for once be honest luddly?

you shit on this guys life in order to pursue your rabid anti gun crusade. if he used a knife or a car you would never have posted this story. you are a sick individual.

No he can't.

His honesty is exactly what you dislike about him most. He's got a different point of view than you....and he states it. You'd prefer that he wouldn't.

The dishonesty here comes from Yurt....who knows that Luddy wasn't referring to Yurt personally selling guns. Why is it that Yurt keyed in on that? Is it because he's so honest?

Never have ever said people shouldn't voice their opinions. Just pointed out it's really about hating guns. So..epic fail.

Yeah we get it, YOU don't. What idiots such as yourself don't get is that the problem is NOT the guns. The problem is our culture combined with mental health. Until you lefties quit standing on the dead bodies of victims, trying to take the rights away from the law-abiding, we will continue to have a problem.

The study I posted confirms that it is not mental health that is the problem: it is the quantity and availability of guns.

The study I posted confirms that it is not mental health that is the problem: it is the quantity and availability of guns.

You have a study that proves something that is demonstrably false?

Idiot

Forum List

Back