Far from the Myth of 'Overpopulation'

If you plan and commit a murder in MA you will not be put to death do the same in TX and you will be put to death.

In this case 2 states in the same country have taken 2 different moral stances. How is that an absolute?

You're comparing two different laws, not morality itself. Murder is wrong in Texas and Massachusetts. Punishing murder is accepted in Texas and Massachusetts.

Capital punishment is the planned killing of a person. So is first degree murder.

and MA punishes murderers with a life prison term so why not kill the guy in MA?

our own state populations and state government cannot agree that capital punishment is acceptable so there is no absolute morality.

How can there be some universal absolute moral code authored by man when in our history or even today we put different standards on killing another for no reason?

We are not talking about killing for no reason. Find a death penalty case where the convicted was charged with "just because."

So what of the wrongly convicted?

I have been raised in a society that has had a prohibition of murder so I find it reprehensible.

Had I been raised on a society that celebrated the murder of strangers entering the defined territory of my society then I would not find murder on an interloper reprehensible.

So, you do not have free will?

there really is no consensus among psychologists that free will exists or is an illusion.

Whether you like it or not we are conditioned from birth by our parents then society as a whole.

So the answer to the question is maybe.

But if I choose not to kill for any reason there is not necessarily some universal morality that is acting on me. It's more a result of societal influence IMO.

So let's not use the killing of a person.

If I am mowing a lawn and a flock of 100 baby chickens are in my way and I mow over them macerating them into pulp chances are people would be horrified to witness that and there's a good chance I would be arrested.

Now those people that were horrified by my killing those baby chickens all go out to breakfast for omelettes and all talk about what a vile person I am yet the egg industry macerates live male newly hatched chickens by the thousands on a daily basis.

Subjective morality. Cognitive dissonance. Call it what you will but we do the same thing with murder.

Morality is subjective ....

By definition, it is not.

and who made up the definition?

There are different words in different languages to describe things we experience in the course of living. The word "blue" does not make the sky blue. The word "time" did not 'invent' time just because the English language developed a word for it. If you suffered aphasia and forgot the word "mountain," would all mountains in the world suddenly vanish? Fish swim in the sea no matter what word in any language we use to describe it.

So once upon a time morals were called something else. That does not in any way mean that there is some moral absolute standard placed upon humans or inherent to human beings.

Do you breathe air?

Are you sitting in a chair?

No, I am not. Sitting in a chair is not an inescapable aspect of living as a sentient being in this plane of existence.
I can argue that you are not sitting on a chair even if you think you are.

There are different words in different languages to describe things we experience in the course of living. The word "blue" does not make the sky blue. The word "time" did not 'invent' time just because the English language developed a word for it. If you suffered aphasia and forgot the word "mountain," would all mountains in the world suddenly vanish? Fish swim in the sea no matter what word in any language we use to describe it.

So once upon a time morals were called something else. That does not in any way mean that there is some moral absolute standard placed upon humans or inherent to human beings.

Do you breathe air?

No, I am not. Sitting in a chair is not an inescapable aspect of living as a sentient being in this plane of existence.

I told you I was not.

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

If you were I could argue that you were not even though you might think you were.

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

If you were I could argue that you were not ......

For the third time, I was not. Let it go.

From 2019 to 2020 the US population grew at the smallest rate in 120 years.

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

so you don't understand the word if?

You asked if I breathed air

It can be argued that I'm not and it is just my perception.

I didn't think what I said would be so confusing to a person who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

ARe you always so literal? It would be nice to know for future reference?

With the population density of NYC you could fit the entire world inside Texas. Future infrastructure will no doubt make even more density sustainable. This planet could hold a lot more people than it currently does.

With the population density of NYC you could fit the entire world inside Texas. Future infrastructure will no doubt make even more density sustainable. This planet could hold a lot more people than it currently does.

It could but what's the upside of a densely populated planet?

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

It can be argued that I'm not and it is just my perception....

Yeah, yeah, I get that you are trying to be cute and cartesian. It is clumsy and amateurish, so I was magnanimously giving you a chance to let it go and save face. I guess you just can't help some people.

Right, but it won't need to. Still, some people just can't let go of a false crisis they were fed as children.

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

Yeah, yeah, I get that you are trying to be cute and cartesian. It is clumsy and amateurish, so I was magnanimously giving you a chance to let it go and save face. I guess you just can't help some people.
you asked me an irrelevant question about respiration.

you missed the point of my question

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

MY question was entirely relevant.

Do you breathe air?

I told you I was not.

MY question was entirely relevant.
no it wasn't.

My respiration has nothing to do with either the population density or the morals offshoot of the discussion

Forum List

Back