Fareed: Trump is right. China cheats on trade.

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018

Very interesting video. I suggest watching it in it's entirety.

Normally, I am NOT a fan of Larry Summers...but generally I agree with him here.

So you’re actually advocating this trade war that everyone in Trump’s cabinet told him not to do it?

Normally, I am NOT a fan of Larry Summers...but generally I agree with him here.

Yes, China cheats on trade.

The problem is Trump is supposed to be a guy good at deals. He hasn't exactly succeeded has he?

There are much better ways to deal with China than to go into a war with them.

The problem is Trump is supposed to be a guy good at deals. He hasn't exactly succeeded has he?

Oh yeah? What? Let them keep robbing us blind?

• Banned

'Robbery
The taking of money or goods in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence, by force or intimidation.'

robbery

Care to tell us all EXACTLY how what China is doing is 'robbery'?

• Banned
So you’re actually advocating this trade war that everyone in Trump’s cabinet told him not to do it?
No.

Obviously you did not watch the entire video (as I suggested).

I said I agreed with what Summers said....which was that what Trump is doing is wrong.

'Robbery
The taking of money or goods in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence, by force or intimidation.'

robbery

What China does is demand that companies have a Chinese partner in order to be able to work in China.

For example Ford is Changan Ford Mazda. It produces US and Japanese cars inside of China. This makes them cheaper than importing them.

However Changan gets to know all of Ford's and Mazda's secrets that they'll use.

It happens a lot.

• Banned

'Robbery

robbery

What China does is demand that companies have a Chinese partner in order to be able to work in China.

For example Ford is Changan Ford Mazda. It produces US and Japanese cars inside of China. This makes them cheaper than importing them.

However Changan gets to know all of Ford's and Mazda's secrets that they'll use.

It happens a lot.

I realize that...but it is common knowledge PLUS is not done through 'force or intimidation' and thus does not fall under the definition of 'robbery'. Ford knows what will happen when they go to China. But they obviously feel it is worth it or they would not bother doing it.

What China does is wrong...but it is not robbery.

And Trump's way of trying to stop it - as Larry Summers said in the video - is NOT the way to do it. Trump is just shooting America in the foot by attacking EVERYONE with tariffs...instead of just focusing on China.

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

I realize that...but it is common knowledge PLUS is not done through 'force or intimidation' and thus does not fall under the definition of 'robbery'. Ford knows what will happen when they go to China. But they obviously feel it is worth it or they would not bother doing it.

And Trump's way of trying to stop it - as Larry Summers said in the video - is NOT the way to do it. Trump is just shooting America in the foot by attacking EVERYONE with tariffs...instead of just focusing on China.

Ok, so our traitorous CEO's here are the real culprits, and China is being used by them in order to screw the Americans over ???? Are we being robbed by our own, and we are blaming China by making them the fall guy who of course will take advantage of the situation in which they have no respect for, and all because they see us crapping over on our own in the ways that we do ???

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

I would think that most Americans are for free trade between nations. The thing is, is it free when many of our trading partners impose stiff rules, regulations, and tariffs on American products, but our corrupt government allows them free access to the US market?

I can recall reading in the WSJ back in the late 80s, that Japan put very tough rules and tariffs on US made cars. As a result, GM sold a hand full of cars in Japan. Yet, Japan sold a shit load of cars in the US, which had no tariffs. This has been going on for decades.

How is this fair?

It is refreshing to hear a talking head on CNN actually make sense, rather than SCREAM Trump Trump Trump.

I would guess his days are numbered at CNN. CNN knows what their audience demands and how their money is made.

Last edited:

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

The problem is that China is a large market. Companies feel they have to get into the Chinese market or forever be outside of the Chinese market.

So they go in because they're capitalists, and China has made a system that exploits that.

These capitalists will sell their secrets to the Chinese because they want more money.

Robbery it's not. Just as it's not slavery when people get paid very little money. What is happening is people using terms to mean something akin to that.

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

I would think that most Americans are for free trade between nations. The thing is, is it free when many of our trading partners impose stiff rules, regulations, and tariffs on American products, but our corrupt government allows them free access to the US market?

I can recall reading in the WSJ back in the late 80s, that Japan put very tough rules and tariffs on US made cars. As a result, GM sold a hand full of cars in Japan. Yet, Japan sold a shit load of cars in the US, which had no tariffs. This has been going on for decades.

How is this fair?

I totally agree.

However I don't think Trump's way of dealing with it is the right way.

China isn't going to be bullied. You tell China "we're going to beat you" China will do everything it can to save face.

America has the ability to understand China, but chooses not to.

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

How is this fair?

I totally agree.

China isn't going to be bullied. You tell China "we're going to beat you" China will do everything it can to save face.

The thing is, what is the right way?

Prior administrations have tried various methods of dealing with China, without success. I suspect China did not think any American POTUS would do what Trump is doing. I do not see another way of resolving the issue. In the short term, it could be painful.

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

How is this fair?

I totally agree.

Prior administrations have tried various methods of dealing with China, without success. I suspect China did not think any American POTUS would do what Trump is doing. I do not see another way of resolving the issue. In the short term, it could be painful.

Well, first you have to understand China.

China is two things.

1) They love money.
2) They will do everything possible not to lose face.

Now, imagine the US did to China, what China does to the US. That'd be a lot harder for the Chinese to fight back at.

Make all Chinese companies in the US have a partner, a US company that'll leech off the Chinese companies.

'Robbery

robbery

It happens a lot.

How is this fair?

I totally agree.

China is two things.

1) They love money.

Now, imagine the US did to China, what China does to the US. That'd be a lot harder for the Chinese to fight back at.

Make all Chinese companies in the US have a partner, a US company that'll leech off the Chinese companies.
If that is your solution, it isn't much of one. All it will do is enrich a few connected firms and individuals, as it does in China.

If the US market is entirely open to Chinese goods, than why would the Chinese not reciprocate? You seem to think that our government should treat them as they treat our companies. Why would the Chinese government not treat US goods as the US treats Chinese goods?

It happens a lot.

How is this fair?

I totally agree.

China is two things.

1) They love money.

If that is your solution, it isn't much of one. All it will do is enrich a few connected firms and individuals, as it does in China.

If the US market is entirely open to Chinese goods, than why would the Chinese not reciprocate? You seem to think that our government should treat them as they treat our companies. Why would the Chinese government not treat US goods as the US treats Chinese goods?

Well there's a problem right.

You either swallow your pride and deal with the situation that will cause problems, or you cause problems.

The Chinese love to make problems. It's in the DNA.

You can either accept that, or not. But understanding the Chinese is the ONLY way you're going to solve this.

Why would the Chinese govt not treat US goods as the US treats Chinese goods?

Because it doesn't have to.

Forum List

Back