Favorite Religious Quotes

Grace is but Glory begun, and Glory is but Grace perfected.
-Jonathan Edwards

In efficacious grace we are not merely passive, nor yet does God do some and we do the rest. But God does all, and we do all. God produces all, we act all. For that is what produces, viz. our own acts. God is the only proper author and fountain; we only are the proper actors. We are in different respects, wholly passive and wholly active.
-Jonathan Edwards

As grace is first from God, so it is continually from him, as much as light is all day long from the sun, as well as at first dawn or at sun-rising.
- Jonathan Edwards

To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here.
-Jonathan Edwards

Every saint in heaven is as a flower in the garden of God, and holy love is the fragrance and sweet odor that they all send forth, and with which they fill the bowers of that paradise above. Every soul there is as a note in some concert of delightful music, that sweetly harmonizes with every other note, and all together blend in the most rapturous strains in praising God and the Lamb forever.
-Jonathan Edwards

Nobody else can give you a clean heart but God.
-Leonard Ravenhill

There's one thing we need above everything else; it's something we don't talk about these days. We need a mighty avalanche of conviction of sin.
-Leonard Ravenhill

We're living in an unprecedented day (when) evil is no longer evil. We've changed the terminology-- iniquity is now infirmity; wickedness is now weakness; devilry is now deficiency.
-Leonard Ravenhill

A Roman Catholic priest startled us not very long ago by saying that for 25 years he had been sitting in the confessional, listening to the confessions of men and women. He said he heard (of) murders, rapes, adultery, and fornication. He met men and women who have broken every law of God and man with repetition. But never in 25 years had anyone ever confessed to be covetous. Covetousness! We wrap it up and call it ambition. We may call it business or something, but right down in the middle of those things is a rotten word called "covetousness." Paul called it idolatry!
- Leonard Ravenhill

David had one of the most blessed experiences in the world, and the blessedness was that he was miserable about his sin.
- Leonard Ravenhill

Are we sorry for grieving the heart of God... for denying God the right to own our personality... to own our mind... to own our thoughts... to own our emotions? (If not) we're robbing God.
-Leonard Ravenhill

Jesus did not come into the world to make bad men good. He came into the world to make dead men live!
-Leonard Ravenhill

I'm concerned in my spirit (that) the reason the world goes to hell-fire tonight is because we've (the church) lost Holy Ghost fire.
-Leonard Ravenhill

I'm sick and tired of (only) reading about church history; let's make (some) by the grace of God!
-Leonard Ravenhill

Someone asked me, "Do you pray for the dead?" I said, "No, I preach to them!" I think every pew in every church is death row. Think about that! They're dead! They sing about God; they talk about God, but they're dead! They have no living relationship (with God).
-Leonard Ravenhill

We've got people today that are very happy to celebrate Christmas or Easter or even Pentecost Sunday as long as nothing happens.
-Leonard Ravenhill

There's cancer in the church tonight!
-Leonard Ravenhill

One said, "If I lead somebody to Christ on the street, which church should I send him to?" (Sending someone to church today is) like taking a newborn baby and putting it in a refrigerator. I want a place that vibrates with God, vibrates with eternity.
-Leonard Ravenhill

"The Force will be with you, always."
-Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Blood of the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!"
-Battle cry of the legions of Khorne

Last edited:

Pope Urban ll at Council of Clermont in France, on November 27, 1095 calling for Crusaders to free the Holy Land from infidels;

"God himself will lead them, for they will be doing His work. There will be absolution and remission of sins for all who die in the service of Christ. Here they are poor and miserable sinners; there they will be rich and happy. Let none hesitate; they must march next summer. God wills it!"

Contemporary Historian Raymond of Agiles describing the capture of Jerusalem by the Crusaders in 1099:

"Some of our men cut off the heads of their enemies; others shot them with arrows, so that they fell from the towers; others tortured them longer by casting them into the flames. Piles of heads, hands and feet were to be seen in the streets of the city. It was necessary to pick one's way over the bodies of men and horses. But these were small matters compared to what happened at the temple of Solomon, a place where religious services ware ordinarily chanted. What happened there? If I tell the truth, it will exceed your powers of belief. So let it suffice to say this much at least, that in the temple and portico of Solomon, men rode in blood up to their knees and bridle reins".

You are what you are because that is what you really want to be!

We make decisions and those decisions make us who we are!

You can judge anything in the world by this. God builds up and the Devil tears down.

― Lester Sumrall

this quote below is interesting in my opinion ...I kind of like it :)

“Many people think excitement is happiness.... But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.”

― Thích Nhất Hạnh, The Art of Power

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.
- George Mueller

“Supplicate at the throne of grace, that the Spirit of the Lord may always rest upon you. Remember that without asking we can receive nothing; therefore, ask in faith, and ye shall receive such blessings as God sees fit to bestow upon you. Pray not with covetous hearts that ye may consume it upon your lusts, but pray earnestly for the best gifts" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Faith has nothing to do with feelings or with impressions, with improbabilities or with outward experiences. If we desire to couple such things with faith, then we are no longer resting on the Word of God, because faith needs nothing of the kind. Faith rests on the naked Word of God. When we take Him at His Word, the heart is at peace.
- George Mueller

The neglected heart will soon be a heart overrun with worldly thoughts, the neglected life will soon become a moral chaos.
- A.W. Tozer

Some from one I love, St Francis of Assisi

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love.

Made an inspirational poster using one from St. Francis:

Attachments

• $20120509205093515726.jpg
    $20120509205093515726.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 71

Forum List

Back