Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Funny. Why meet with him? He wants $5 billion for wall - Nancy says NO. Go Nancy! Trump shut the government down.
Why? If they want to govt shut down to end, they will. They won’t, they don’t. Plain and simple.

And give in to blackmail? Never.
If it was a Democrat President, you'd accuse Republicans of playing partisan politics and demanding they be bipartisan. We've become very familiar with the game y'all play.

You mean like the Rs did for the entire 8 years of our last presidents terms?
No, I mean like when republicans tried to get some of their ideas into Obamacare and Obama and democrats told them to go pound sand. If you want to go down this road you better have some arrows in your quiver or you're gonna look even dumber than you already are.

Are you kidding? Republicans in the house and the senate had already vowed to keep any bill for healthcare from reaching the president's desk, no matter what was in it. They didn't want to have input on the bill. They wanted to stop it.

That's just plain idiocy. Taxpayers are more than willing to pay for the wall. You know that. Chuck and Nancy can end this today.

They were given their chance with the gofundme page...it seems to be dying a slow death. At the current rate they will have their 5 billion by the year 2030

MSNBC smeared him an vetren who lost three limbs.

and? you people attack veterans on this board daily.

Bill Clinton, Hillary and obama never serverd

View attachment 237843

Neither did Trump...what is your point?
But he got himself a Purple Heart, remember? And he went thru his own personal Viet Nam fighting against STDs.

What right are you referring to?

The right to get paid for your labor
They aren't being denied that right. In fact, they're getting a paid vacation.

What about the 400,000 who are being forced to work without pay?
They're gonna get paid eventually, so in reality they're getting a paid vacation. Tell Chuck and Nancy to get back to Washington and work out a deal. Trump is in the White House while they're off laying around drinking martinis.

So you call going to work a "vacation'...you must have a pretty cushy job.
Job? :71: Wait til his welfare check doesn't come.

Why? If they want to govt shut down to end, they will. They won’t, they don’t. Plain and simple.

And give in to blackmail? Never.
If it was a Democrat President, you'd accuse Republicans of playing partisan politics and demanding they be bipartisan. We've become very familiar with the game y'all play.

You mean like the Rs did for the entire 8 years of our last presidents terms?
No, I mean like when republicans tried to get some of their ideas into Obamacare and Obama and democrats told them to go pound sand. If you want to go down this road you better have some arrows in your quiver or you're gonna look even dumber than you already are.

Are you kidding? Republicans in the house and the senate had already vowed to keep any bill for healthcare from reaching the president's desk, no matter what was in it. They didn't want to have input on the bill. They wanted to stop it.
You're gonna have to give me a source for that fairy tale.

I don't really care about these federal workers. They are parasites off those of us who work in the private sector and don't have all the protections they do.

Yes, clearly a govt of, by, for the people is parasitic, while a govt of, by, for concentrated corporate state wealth and power is fweedumb.
----------------------------- Americans don't care about these 'fed' people . Let them sue , let them cry , maybe the TRUMP can feck them up Lowrie .
They all vote...their adult family members vote. tiny trump said they were all Democrats. Well, they are now.

Takes a long time to get a lawsuit through the courts...........good luck. Your going to need it.

They know that already. The union is just pissed they are not getting their cut for a while. Unions don't care about people, unions care about money. That's why outside of government, they are pretty much a thing of the past.
Yeah...bad unions...bad bad unions. Let's all go back to the days of child labor, 6 day weeks, 60+ hours a week, no health care, no safety rules, etc. Yay for the Right!

Unions are pure evil

Imagine expecting workers to be paid
More working people without unions than with. You think people without a union don't work for a living?
Very true

That is why wages and benefits have declined

Blame the Democrats, if they had helped pass a 2019 budget, none of this would be happening.

It was passed. Trump childishly refused to sign it.

Really?
One resolution passed the House and a different one passed the Senate. The way things work, the two were supposed to be worked out in conference to then face the requirement that the resulting resolution was to be passed by a 2/3 majority in both houses.
That 2/3 majority was a pipe dream.

Nothing was sent to the president for his signature!

No dumb ass. The 2/3 is only required when the orange fool refuses to sign it.

I don't really care about these federal workers. They are parasites off those of us who work in the private sector and don't have all the protections they do.

Yes, clearly a govt of, by, for the people is parasitic, while a govt of, by, for concentrated corporate state wealth and power is fweedumb.
----------------------------- Americans don't care about these 'fed' people . Let them sue , let them cry , maybe the TRUMP can feck them up Lowrie .
They all vote...their adult family members vote. tiny trump said they were all Democrats. Well, they are now.
It is more than just federal employees but contractors and businesses that rely on a functioning government

Blame the Democrats, if they had helped pass a 2019 budget, none of this would be happening.
Nope...tiny trump owns this....in his own words...he owns this.

He owns standing up to the Democrats lack of concern over border security.
Yea...that is about right

We have many, many better things we could spend our money on

Could retire debt like I have personally. It gives you a much more secure economic future.

The union said employees can’t be forced to work without pay.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?
Lol, they will eventually get paid. But let them sit at home and not get paid.

The right to get paid for your labor
They aren't being denied that right. In fact, they're getting a paid vacation.

What about the 400,000 who are being forced to work without pay?
They're gonna get paid eventually, so in reality they're getting a paid vacation. Tell Chuck and Nancy to get back to Washington and work out a deal. Trump is in the White House while they're off laying around drinking martinis.

They're on a paid vacation. They're not working and they will receive back pay when this is all over. As for my cushy job, yes I do quite well on my Social Security that I paid for and my part-time job that I work at. I'm very comfortable, not that it's any of your damn business and isn't part of this discussion, you little snotty punk.
You think you're getting your SS check? :71:

They're on a paid vacation. They're not working and they will receive back pay when this is all over. As for my cushy job, yes I do quite well on my Social Security that I paid for and my part-time job that I work at. I'm very comfortable, not that it's any of your damn business and isn't part of this discussion, you little snotty punk.

Are you really this stupid or do you just pretend on the internet. The lawsuit is about those that are still going work and not being properly compensated for their work as was agreed upon in their employment contract.

Which is why we should get rid of unions in the government.

Because they are arguing that people should get paid for their work....how dare them.

I am anti-union as they come, but that is just stupid.

So who's not getting paid? They will all get paid; perhaps not timely, but will get paid.
I'm sure their debtors such as their landlords or mortgage companies have no problem with that.

Are you really this stupid or do you just pretend on the internet. The lawsuit is about those that are still going work and not being properly compensated for their work as was agreed upon in their employment contract.

Because they are arguing that people should get paid for their work....how dare them.

So who's not getting paid? They will all get paid; perhaps not timely, but will get paid.

Once again...The lawsuit is about those that are still going work and not being properly compensated for their work as was agreed upon in their employment contract.
They want to ignore that fact, you know.

If Mexico is going to pay for it, why does he want our tax money?

Mexico funds it indirectly, for example:

While Trump’s team has not reached a consensus, leading proposals include adding a small percentage fee on money sent by individuals in the United States to recipients in Mexico.

Another is directing a surplus in revenue from a revised trade agreement with Mexico and Canada.

Great. Go do that and quit trying to take my tax money.

Why is it "your" tax money when spent on things you disapprove of, but not "our" tax money when it's spent on things we disapprove of?

It is our money, but it is specifically part MINE too.

Takes a long time to get a lawsuit through the courts...........good luck. Your going to need it.

They know that already. The union is just pissed they are not getting their cut for a while. Unions don't care about people, unions care about money. That's why outside of government, they are pretty much a thing of the past.
Yeah...bad unions...bad bad unions. Let's all go back to the days of child labor, 6 day weeks, 60+ hours a week, no health care, no safety rules, etc. Yay for the Right!

Unions are pure evil

Imagine expecting workers to be paid
More working people without unions than with. You think people without a union don't work for a living?
Very true

That is why wages and benefits have declined
Government has grown, huh. The bigger government gets and the more expensive government gets, the less our wages are. Think.

This is not correct, all of the "essential" people at the agencies with no funding are not being paid, even though they are working.

I don't think that's correct, got a cite?

1. Will excepted employees be paid for performing work during a shutdown furlough? If so, when will excepted employees receive such payments?

A. Agencies will incur obligations to pay for services performed by excepted employees during a lapse in appropriations, and those employees will be paid after Congress passes and the President signs a new appropriation or continuing resolution.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf

Yes we are paid after the funding is passed.

However the people that don’t work usually get paid too and basically get a free vacation without taking leave.

Which is one of the reasons a shutdown is so fucking stupid. It just waste more money...
All Dems have to do is throw the GOP $5B and it’s over, but Dems aren’t very smart.
Why would they, when Mexico's paying the $5B?

They were given their chance with the gofundme page...it seems to be dying a slow death. At the current rate they will have their 5 billion by the year 2030
That is outside of the government. We're talking about government funding here. Trump is in the White House and ready to work out a deal. Chuck and Nancy are off on vacation. Nice.
Congress has not yet convened..Duh...
Neither have your brain cells. Idiot.
Then you have competition at long last.
You're about the dumbest ass on this forum.
Awwwwwwwww....a snowflake....:cryhug_1_:

Once again...The lawsuit is about those that are still going work and not being properly compensated for their work as was agreed upon in their employment contract.
They want to ignore that fact, you know.
Write Chuck and Nancy and tell them to make a deal so people can get back to work, pus nose.

This is not correct, all of the "essential" people at the agencies with no funding are not being paid, even though they are working.

I don't think that's correct, got a cite?

1. Will excepted employees be paid for performing work during a shutdown furlough? If so, when will excepted employees receive such payments?

A. Agencies will incur obligations to pay for services performed by excepted employees during a lapse in appropriations, and those employees will be paid after Congress passes and the President signs a new appropriation or continuing resolution.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf

Yes we are paid after the funding is passed.

However the people that don’t work usually get paid too and basically get a free vacation without taking leave.

Which is one of the reasons a shutdown is so fucking stupid. It just waste more money...
Then the establishment can PONY THE FUCK UP..............

They spend money on BS every year............this is money the CBP has been asking for a long time......And these Career politicians CHAMPIONED for votes in 2006. pay up.............or it stays shut down.
Wait? Why? Mexico is ponying up, remember?

Forum List

Back