🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Federal Government: Are We Getting Our Money's Worth?

Are we getting our money's worth from the federal government?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, mostly.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Yes, somewhat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, more often than not.

• Not anywhere nearly as much as we should.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • I don't care.

• Total voters
My experience in working over 35 years with the federal government is you get what you pay for

I saw 25 years of government on the cheap. I worked mostly with engineers. We were trying to hire engineers out of college at $10k a year less than the private sector was paying. The government ended up with engineers with C averages from non-major universities. They didn't care as long as they had a degree

These engineers were specifying and buying military equipment from Defense Contractors who had engineers with PhDs from top universities. Tough to defend your case

Same went for government lawyers. We would have GS-12 lawyers trying to declare a contract invalid for noncompliance going against top defense teams for the defense contractors

And if I had a problem like that I would solve it by appointing the best engineering mind I could find to head whatever department. And if the government absolutely had to do the project--it shouldn't be doing it otherwise--that person would put out bids to the private engineering firms who hired all those top notch engineers, tell them what you want to accomplish, and leave it to them to draw up the specs and offer you a price for the job. You take best proposal that falls within your budget along with solid recovery options for the taxpayer if the firm does not deliver as it contracts to deliver, plus it will show proof of adequate bonding and other insurance to cover any liability exposure should the firm create a dangerous situation.

I believe this method of doing necessary government business would save us billions of dollars and would produce a far more efficient and competent result than anything government is generally able to do.

Once again you get what you pay for and that goes top to bottom

You can't contract out everything and someone has to represent the government. Specs are written by what the soldier needs. We take those needs and generate requirements and then individual specifications. You can't contract that out, it would be one contractor awarding a contract to another on behalf of the taxpayer

What do you consider necessary government business?

I consider necessary government business to be that which is constitutionally mandated and that which cannot be done as effectively, efficiently, and/or economically by the private sector. If government would stick to that simple principle, it would be able to afford the best of the best to do what it absolutely had to do. And we would much more likely get our money's worth.

Last edited:
This year, the federal government will cost about $27,700 for every American household.

Why? Well here's just some recent expenditures that provide food for thought.

As a disclaimer, these things are usually presented in the worst possible light by spending and deficit hawks who often don't provide any mitigating circumstances that may exist. But remember that we have millions and millions of Americans out there who are unemployed or underemployed, millions who have lost money on their home values and millions more who are seeing declining net worth year by year. I can't imagine there being enough mitigating circumstances to justify tax payer money being used for the following, most especially at this time:

The Transportation Security Administration is paying $3.5 in warehouse rent annually to store 5,700 pieces of unused security equipment that cost us $184 million. Apparently the equipment is now obsolete.

The National Science Foundation used part of a half-million dollar grant to develop a video game that simulates a high school prom.

The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research spent $300,000 on a study that concluded the first bird on Earth probably had black feathers.

In 2012, taxpayer-funded Amtrak recovered only 44 cents of every dollar of its food and beverage costs on long-distance routes on which they lose money every year.

The Office of Naval Research spent $450,000 on a study that determined unintelligent robots do not have the ability to maintain a baby’s attention.

The Oval Office is getting a facelift. While it’s out of commission, the President will need a pseudo-Oval Office, right? $376 million will go to an Oval Office renovation and plans to construct a second office for the President to use during the renovation. Really, does this HAVE to be done now on borrowed money? It can't wait until the economy improves?

Did you know that golfers who imagine that the hole is bigger boost their confidence and accuracy? Thanks to the National Science Foundation, Purdue University, and $350,000 in taxpayer money, now you do.

The Internal Revenue Service spent $4.1 million on a lavish conference in 2010 for 2,609 of its employees in Anaheim, California. Expenses included $50,000 for line-dancing and “Star Trek” parody videos, $135,350 for outside speakers, $64,000 in conference “swag” for the employees, plus free meals, cocktails, and hotel suite upgrades.

Do you think this guy appears taller, stronger, and manlier? The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research spent $681,387 on a study to confirm that he does—when he’s carrying a firearm.

strongman.jpg

15 Pictures of Ridiculous Government Spending Guaranteed to Make You Mad

Does anybody really believe we're getting our money's worth?

Forum List

Back