Federal workers get millions in student loan relief

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
....so, an employed work force with pay and benefits ( even aside from this and the incalculable benefit of job tenure ) on par with the private sector gets their student loans paid...at our expense?

Sorry, let hem take their chances like the rest of us.

Federal workers get millions in student loan relief

Congress may let student loan interest rates double July 1, but some federal workers and congressional staff likely are protected from the impact by a taxpayer-funded benefit that provided more than $20 million last year for them to pay down their college debts.

Congress created the benefit more than 10 years ago to make government jobs more appealing to job candidates who could get higher-paying jobs in the private sector. Meanwhile, a 2007 law that cut student loan interest rates in half will expire July 1, and Congress has been unable to reach a deal to extend it.

A review of congressional spending records by USA TODAY and the non-profit Sunlight Foundation, a watchdog group, showed that the House of Representatives spent almost $15 million last year to pay down staffers' student loans, while the Senate spent almost $6 million. Members of Congress are not eligible for the program.

Federal agencies — which provide more detailed information — spent about $72 million in 2011, the last year for which data are available, to pay down student loans for 10,134 federal workers.

more at
Taxpayers pay millions for fed workers' student loans

At the time this program was created, the Federal Government was struggling to recruit qualified college graduates. With the low pay that government was offering, it seemed like a good way to induce graduates into public service

It is a condition of employment negotiated when you are hired. I used it myself......We cannot offer you much in salary, but we can offer student loan repayment

you got it becasue it was offered and repeating what the article said doesn't mean anything. I think it sux.

you got it becasue it was offered and repeating what the article said doesn't mean anything. I think it sux.

Tuition reimbursement has been an effective tool for hiring college graduates at a time when federal salaries were being laughed at.

Tuition reimbursement has been an effective tool for hiring college graduates at a time when federal salaries were being laughed at.

in 1990? maybe...now or in the last 10-15 years? don't think so. let them take their chances, if they get a federal job they are tenured,what that worth?

in 1990? maybe...now or in the last 10-15 years? don't think so. let them take their chances, if they get a federal job they are tenured,what that worth?

Been there done that trying to get college graduates with above a C average to accept a federal job that pays 10-15K less than the private sector

Same Federal Workers that are taking a 20% reduction in pay because Congress looks at them as whipping boys

Been there done that trying to get college graduates with above a C average to accept a federal job that pays 10-15K less than the private sector

Same Federal Workers that are taking a 20% reduction in pay because Congress looks at them as whipping boys

uhm no, federal jobs T-Comp is at par with the private sector and has been for a while, in addition to the job security and influence for featherbedding.

uhm no, federal jobs T-Comp is at par with the private sector and has been for a while, in addition to the job security and influence for featherbedding.

If it makes you feel any better, the Federal Government is not hiring any more College Graduates just like the Conservatives wanted

Those who are hired are getting sent home one day a week without pay because Congress can't do its fucking job

Great time to start a fucking thread about how great Federal Workers have it

If it makes you feel any better, the Federal Government is not hiring any more College Graduates just like the Conservatives wanted

Those who are hired are getting sent home one day a week without pay because Congress can't do its fucking job

Great time to start a fucking thread about how great Federal Workers have it

:eusa_boohoo:boo fucking hoo ......the private sector has been getting it up the wazoo for 5 years, so you're all pissy now about the Feds not hiring? tough shit.

and at least they HAVE A JOB.....kind of my point?

At the time this program was created, the Federal Government was struggling to recruit qualified college graduates. With the low pay that government was offering, it seemed like a good way to induce graduates into public service

Soon we will all work for the government or have no job and have walls built around us to hide us from the rest of the word. It will be a great era, never done before... a utopia I tell you!

Forum List

Back