Fedgov vs Apple : In re Iphone "backdoor"

Let's put more emphasis on stopping the bad guys, the hackers, the dark web, the exploiters. Not stopping law enforcement. I say yes to a backdoor key for law enforcement. Not a 1st Amendment Get out of jail free card Apple is endorsing.
Apple is not endorsing anything. Just tring to protect users.

Let's put more emphasis on stopping the bad guys, the hackers, the dark web, the exploiters. Not stopping law enforcement. I say yes to a backdoor key for law enforcement. Not a 1st Amendment Get out of jail free card Apple is endorsing.
Hmm, protecting them from what? getting caught? What scares you people the most?

Apple needs to co-operate with the justice department.

No.

Hackers will find a back door

Both false, and irrelevant even if true.

and the authorities have a Warrant for the front door.

So use the front door. If authorities have a warrant to search my house, they can search my house. If they can't get past the lock on the front door, the manufacturer is under no obligation to break the lock for the police.

First the force you to buy health insurance. Now they want to force you to work for them. What is next? Arranged marriages and forced pregnancies?

Hmm, protecting them from what? Getting caught? What scares you people the most?

Hmm, protecting them from what? getting caught? What scares you people the most?
Both relevant and to the point.

Apple needs to co-operate with the justice department.

No.

Hackers will find a back door

Both false, and irrelevant even if true.

and the authorities have a Warrant for the front door.

So use the front door. If authorities have a warrant to search my house, they can search my house. If they can't get past the lock on the front door, the manufacturer is under no obligation to break the lock for the police.

First the force you to buy health insurance. Now they want to force you to work for them. What is next? Arranged marriages and forced pregnancies?
Dictatorship with eyes and ears on you 24/7

If the Feds had access to my phone, I have nothing to hide. I understand the privacy issue. All the crying and whining makes me wonder if freedom of speech and privacy isn't being abused by ignoramuses with a persecution complex.

what do you have on your phone that you wouldn't want hackers to get

Privacy is an illusion, you know. I am not seeing that it's a guaranteed right in the constitution. Search my cell if you have a warrant. No problem.

Privacy is an illusion, you know. I am not seeing that it's a guaranteed right in the constitution. Search my cell if you have a warrant. No problem.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

No, they really do not. They know that they can try - that does not mean they are going to be able to or know how much resource it will take in order to do so.

That's ridiculous. They are only going to be able to break the code if they designed the code so that they knew how to break it. If they didn't design the code with a back door, then they can't break it, period.

Encryption codes are mathematical algorithms. How do they not know if they put in a back door or not?
You do not need to purposely put in a back door in order to find a hole in the code to exploit.

Do some research on public/private key encryption. If it's encrypted, the code has nothing to do with it, you can't decrypt it
Tell that to the thousands of previous hackers and code breakers that have done so when there was no back door built into the encryption.

Breaking encryption is nothing new and no, it has never required that a back door be built in. In this case Apple is being asked to develop a workaround to the pass code limit that is built into the phone and wipes it after so many times an incorrect code is put in so the FBI can brute force hack phones. A brute force hack will be very easy to accomplish without a limit on the number of times you can input the pass code. IOW, a work around of the software is exactly what they are asking for.

Again, read up on public key/private key encryption. The key to the back door isn't the code, it's putting in a back door in the algorithm. The code is easy
*sigh*

You are blatantly ignoring what the FBI is asking Apple to do. If you are going to ignore the entire center of the subject then there is no way to talk to you about it.

If the Feds had access to my phone, I have nothing to hide. I understand the privacy issue. All the crying and whining makes me wonder if freedom of speech and privacy isn't being abused by ignoramuses with a persecution complex.
Sure you don't - that is what most people who are ignorant of why and how governments abuse powers operate.

I don't see where in the constitution that the government has been given the power to force anyone to create a product or key for it. The constitution is not a list of rights that are protected and/or rights that are granted. It is a document that outlines governments powers with a few caveats on areas those powers may not intrude.

The day that you start looking for your rights to be defined in the Constitution and allowing the government the ability to do anything that is not listed as your right rather than looking at the constitution as limiting government instead is the day that we lose rights in general.

That's ridiculous. They are only going to be able to break the code if they designed the code so that they knew how to break it. If they didn't design the code with a back door, then they can't break it, period.

Encryption codes are mathematical algorithms. How do they not know if they put in a back door or not?
You do not need to purposely put in a back door in order to find a hole in the code to exploit.

Do some research on public/private key encryption. If it's encrypted, the code has nothing to do with it, you can't decrypt it
Tell that to the thousands of previous hackers and code breakers that have done so when there was no back door built into the encryption.

Breaking encryption is nothing new and no, it has never required that a back door be built in. In this case Apple is being asked to develop a workaround to the pass code limit that is built into the phone and wipes it after so many times an incorrect code is put in so the FBI can brute force hack phones. A brute force hack will be very easy to accomplish without a limit on the number of times you can input the pass code. IOW, a work around of the software is exactly what they are asking for.

Again, read up on public key/private key encryption. The key to the back door isn't the code, it's putting in a back door in the algorithm. The code is easy
*sigh*

You are blatantly ignoring what the FBI is asking Apple to do. If you are going to ignore the entire center of the subject then there is no way to talk to you about it.

I'm responding to the point you keep making that Apple can't break the code, which if true, would be what they would have argued in the first place. If you want me to stop addressing that point, stop making it.

I already addressed the central point. If Apple can help them decrypt this phone, they should do that. I don't support Apple being forced to give the government a permanent back door to any apple phone

I have an Apple product. I mainly use Samsung and Android. No Matter. Apple needs to co-operate with the justice department. Hackers will find a back door, and the authorities have a Warrant for the front door.

Hackers probably won't find a back door. The key is the encryption algorithm, not the "code"

*sigh*

I'm responding to the point you keep making that Apple can't break the code, which if true, would be what they would have argued in the first place. If you want me to stop addressing that point, stop making it.

I already addressed the central point. If Apple can help them decrypt this phone, they should do that. I don't support Apple being forced to give the government a permanent back door to any apple phone
Apple told them they would have helped them if they had brought the phone to them first before trying to get in it themself

*sigh*

Apple told them they would have helped them if they had brought the phone to them first before trying to get in it themself

I'm not sure how that makes sense

*sigh*

I'm not sure how that makes sense

that is because that is not exactly what they said

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
when you try to use a code to get in one after so many times it locks down permanently

Forum List

Back