🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Feds Send Man to Jail for Overfishing as 6,000 Drug Convicts are Freed

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
GFBF_Flathead-284x165.jpg

The idiocy continues.

These are embarrassing times for the nation’s criminal justice system; as the Obama administration executes the nation’s largest mass release of federal prisoners, it’s sending a Long Island fisherman to jail for reeling in too many.

And, it's not just 6,000! In 2010, Obama signed a measure relaxing drug-crime sentences that will result in the eventual release of 50,000 prisoners. Meanwhile, a New York fisherman gets 7 month in the slammer, a $603k fine, and 3 years of supervised release for catching too many flake.

Read more @ Feds Send Man to Jail for Overfishing as 6,000 Drug Convicts are Freed - Judicial Watch

Yet he broke the law and you want him free? The others about to be released had a reduction in sentencing, after they served their min. time..See how that works?
As far as the fisherman, is it his first conviction?

This was a commercial fisherman who falsified 158 documents to steal 302,000 pounds of fish worth approximately $626,000 dollars. These fish came from publicly owned fisheries, i.e., American taxpayers who own and pay to maintain the fisheries. Probably didn't help at the sentencing time that it was revealed he bragged about getting away with his crimes.

This is not a current event. It is a typical Judicial Watch regurgitated old story. In this case, April of 2014, over a year and a half old. For certain it is not about some guy catching a few fish.

justice.gov/enrd/long-island-fisherman-pleads-guilty-mail-fraud-wire-fraud-and-records-falsification-friday

Last edited:
These are embarrassing times for the nation’s criminal justice system; as the Obama administration executes the nation’s largest mass release of federal prisoners, it’s sending a Long Island fisherman to jail for reeling in too many.

One has nothing to do with the other. You people are idiots. They are sending people to jail for unpaid parking tickets too.

"We should stand against all people going to jail who committed less than drug crimes!" Its a contest

Yet he broke the law and you want him free? The others about to be released had a reduction in sentencing, after they served their min. time..See how that works?
As far as the fisherman, is it his first conviction?

Doubt it considering the sentence and fine. Sounds like an industrial scale op.

Full press release here,
Long Island Fisherman Sentenced to Prison Time and Pay More Than $600,000 for Fisheries Fraud | OPA | Department of Justice

"Anthony Joseph, a commercial fisherman from Levittown, New York, was sentenced today in federal court in Central Islip, New York, to seven months in prison for federal violations stemming from his role in systematically underreporting fluke (summer flounder) that was being harvested as part of the federal Research Set-Aside (RSA) Program, the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division announced.

Joseph was also sentenced to three years of supervised release following his incarceration and to pay $603,000 in restitution.

Joseph, the former operator of the dragger F/V Stirs One, pleaded guilty on April 11, 2014, to one count of mail fraud, two counts of wire fraud and one count of falsification of federal records for knowingly submitting 158 falsified fishing logs, known as fishing vessel trip reports (FVTRs) and aiding and abetting the submission of 167 falsified dealer reports from June 2009 through December 2011, as part of a scheme to defraud the United States of overharvested and underreported fluke.

Under the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) regulations, all of the Stirs One’s catch had to be reported to NOAA on FVTRs. During the years 2009, 2010 and 2011, the Stirs One principally targeted fluke. However, under the captaincy and with the knowledge of Joseph, the vessel exceeded its relevant federal and New York State quotas for fluke for at least 158 trips. These illegal overages totaled 302,000 pounds of fluke worth approximately $626,000."

Ya this wasn't Uncle Joe down at the local pond. This was major league.

Joseph was also sentenced to three years of supervised release following his incarceration and to pay $603,000 in restitution.

And to think the OP said this guy "reeled in one too many". Thats how he refers to over a half a million dollar restitution.

I readily admit posting it to show the absurdity of our legal system.

Believe it or now, I think the guy SHOULD go to jail. I also think that far too many non-violent people have been incarcerated. Jails and prisons should be only for those who present a clear and present danger to society.

Believe it or now, I think the guy SHOULD go to jail. I also think that far too many non-violent people have been incarcerated. Jails and prisons should be only for those who present a clear and present danger to society.

Question: What do you believe longknife?

Longknife: Yes

Question: What do you believe longknife?

Longknife: Yes

about what?

Forum List

Back