🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Feminist hysteria is causing the infantilization of women

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Article I found linked through Instapundit.

Feminist hysteria is causing the infantilization of women WashingtonExaminer.com

Some excerpts:

When did female empowerment become female infantilization?

Women once were encouraged to be strong and independent, to brush aside insensitive words and actions and to emerge stronger. But now, politicians, pundits, even celebrities are feeding an outrage machine by telling women they should be offended by anything and everything.

The latest example comes from actress Lena Dunham, famous not only for her HBO show “Girls” but also for a 2012 political ad comparing voting for the first time to losing one’s virginity. Last week, Dunham told NPR that the phrase “too much information” — “TMI” for short — is a sexist phrase that “trivializes female experiences.”

What Dunham doesn’t appear to realize is that by claiming common phrases are sexist, women are actually being told that they need to be protected from free speech and that they should be offended more often because they are somehow being oppressed by that speech. This reinforces the idea that women are overly fragile and sensitive — an image that feminists supposedly have been fighting for decades.

This need to protect women from even reading or hearing about the ills of society has become so pervasive that some colleges are including “trigger warnings” on class syllabi to caution students that they might be offended or feel uncomfortable about some of the subject matter.

Even more detrimental to women than telling them words can hurt is the recent feminist trend of giving them mixed signals about sexuality. Modern feminists are arguing that it is "slut-shaming" to suggest that women should avoid drunken sex, but they also are pushing colleges to adopt a definition of rape in which women under the heavy influence of alcohol cannot give consent.

and even republicans get in on it:

The perceived need to coddle women is not exclusive to liberals. In July, Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-N.C., told an audience of women that her male colleagues needed to bring the discussion “down to a woman’s level.” She meant that Republican men need to learn how to relate to women, but the implication was that women can’t understand things the way men can.

Is the current environment we are in show that the current position of feminism is currently at odds with itself? That is supports both empowerment (i.e. the whole anti-slut shaming thing) and yet see women as needing protection above and beyond that which is afforded to men (the whole college campus "assault" thing going on).

Is anyone surprised that RWs are this ignorant about "feminism"? They are calling it the opposite of what it is and the gullible are too dumb to know they've been had.

Kinda makes me think of the repeated and failed efforts to "rebrand" the Repub party.

Been writing about infantilization of Americans since college. Isn't just women. Way we censor tv being the most obvious way it happens.

Is anyone surprised that RWs are this ignorant about "feminism"? They are calling it the opposite of what it is and the gullible are too dumb to know they've been had.

Kinda makes me think of the repeated and failed efforts to "rebrand" the Repub party.

Typical Luddy Duddy drive by comment, all drivel, no content.

Been writing about infantilization of Americans since college. Isn't just women. Way we censor tv being the most obvious way it happens.

The difference is progressives use the government to help infantilize women more than they do with men.

I didn't get past the mischaracterization of what Dunham said.

From the link:

"The term "oversharing" is so complicated because I do think that it's really gendered. I think when men share their experiences, it's bravery and when women share their experiences, it's some sort of — people are like, "TMI." Too much information has always been my least favorite phrase because what exactly constitutes too much information? It seems like it has a lot to do with who is giving you the information, and I feel as though there's some sense that society trivializes female experiences. And so when you share them, they aren't considered as vital as their male counterparts' [experiences] and that's something that I've always roundly rejected."

She's not saying the phrase TMI is sexist. She's saying women's experiences aren't valued.

On the seeming subject of the OP, as far as I can see EVERY group of people whines about an ism and are being fed by the outrage machine that says they should be offended. This includes white males, Christians, etc.

Why the OP singled out woman is curious.

Yet another extremist right wing attack on women.

So a woman attacking women? Look at the picture in the bio there sport.

Simply because it was written by an extremist right wing female doesn't mean that it wasn't an attack on women.

Obviously you cannot refute the point if that is all you have in the way of a response.

No, its an attack on progressive women, which for some reason bigots like you tend to consider the only type of woman that exists, or is allowed to exist.

The difference is progressives use the government to help infantilize women more than they do with men.

:link:

Life of Julia. Let the big ol' goverment be yo daddy for ya.

lifeofjuliaspoof.05032012.jpg

This debate is essentially over. When November comes, it doesn't matter who votes, or how many people are represented where, the internet tells all. You want to gauge the answer to this debate, go to the video. I remember watching this video when it came out, the likes were the overwhelming majority. It was unanimously popular. Now? Well, go look at it. It is disproportionately reviled. 15 thousand likes to 20 thousand dislikes. Guess there is now a cultural backlash to the social irresponsibility promoted by this infantilism.

Really, I'm as surprised as anyone. It really does make me wonder how the next couple election will go. You have to click the video and go to the YOUTUBE to read the stats for meaningful info. ..

Last time I checked it was Republicans treating women like infants.

LOL. Again, will use a "life of julia" picture as an example, ol' government will take care of the womenfolk.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-07-at-10.16.48-AM.png

Forum List

Back