Cuba honors victims of 1976 jetliner bombing

Killed by CIA agent Luis Posada Carriles

imagen.aspx

Housing: There is virtually no homelessness in Cuba. Thanks to the 1960 Urban Reform law, 85% of Cubans own their own homes and pay no property taxes or interest on their mortgages. Mortgage payments can't exceed 10% of the combined household income.

Employment: Cuba's unemployment rate is only 1.8% according to CIA data, compared with 7.6% (and rising) in the United States. One factor contributing to Cuba's low unemployment is undoubtedly the 350,000 jobs that have been recently created by the burgeoning sustainable urban agriculture program, one of the most successful in the world, according to U.S.-based economist Sinan Koont.

Literacy: The adult literacy rate in Cuba (99.8%) is higher than the United States' rate (97%), according to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

Infant mortality: Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate (4.7 per 1000 live births) than the United States' (6.0).

Prisons: Cuba even does better on prisons. Its rate of incarceration-estimated at around 487 per 100,000 by the UNDP-is among the highest in the world, yet it is considerably lower than the U.S. rate of 738 per 100,000.
The Costs of the Embargo [Cuba] by Margot Pepper www.dollarsandsense.org/, March/April 2009

ball.red.gif
La Demanda: The People of Cuba vs. the U.S. Government

In Cuba, it is known simply as la demanda-the legal complaint.

On May 31, 1999, a lawsuit for $181 billion in wrongful death and personal injury damages was filed in Havana Provincial Civil Court against the government of the United States. The plaintiffs are eight national organizations, on behalf of their members, representing nearly the entire population of the island.

The complaint describes, in considerable detail, forty years of U.S. acts of aggression against Cuba, and specifies, often by name, date, and particular circumstances, each person known to have been killed or grievously wounded as a direct victim of this campaign. In all, 3,478 people were killed and an additional 2,099 seriously injured. (These figures do not include any indirect victims of the economic pressures, the blockade, the difficulties in obtaining medicine and food, all due to deliberate U.S. policy)

The complaint was served upon the United States through the appropriate diplomatic channels: from the Court, to the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to the United States Department of State. As expected, the U.S. chose not to respond, and twenty days later was declared by the Court to be in default, in accordance with Cuban law.

Nevertheless, under Cuban law, as in most jurisdictions, a default by the defendant does not, by itself, authorize a judgment in the amount of damages requested. The plaintiff must still prove the two elements of such an action, that the defendant caused the damages and that the damages were in the amount claimed. Consequently, on July 5, 1999, what was ultimately to be a 13-day trial with testimony from 196 witnesses commenced in the large, elegantly marbled chamber where the Supreme Court of Cuba once sat. The trial ended on July 21, 1999

ball.red.gif
La Demanda: The People of Cuba vs. the U.S. Government

In Cuba, it is known simply as la demanda-the legal complaint.

On May 31, 1999, a lawsuit for $181 billion in wrongful death and personal injury damages was filed in Havana Provincial Civil Court against the government of the United States. The plaintiffs are eight national organizations, on behalf of their members, representing nearly the entire population of the island.

The complaint describes, in considerable detail, forty years of U.S. acts of aggression against Cuba, and specifies, often by name, date, and particular circumstances, each person known to have been killed or grievously wounded as a direct victim of this campaign. In all, 3,478 people were killed and an additional 2,099 seriously injured. (These figures do not include any indirect victims of the economic pressures, the blockade, the difficulties in obtaining medicine and food, all due to deliberate U.S. policy)

The complaint was served upon the United States through the appropriate diplomatic channels: from the Court, to the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to the United States Department of State. As expected, the U.S. chose not to respond, and twenty days later was declared by the Court to be in default, in accordance with Cuban law.

Nevertheless, under Cuban law, as in most jurisdictions, a default by the defendant does not, by itself, authorize a judgment in the amount of damages requested. The plaintiff must still prove the two elements of such an action, that the defendant caused the damages and that the damages were in the amount claimed. Consequently, on July 5, 1999, what was ultimately to be a 13-day trial with testimony from 196 witnesses commenced in the large, elegantly marbled chamber where the Supreme Court of Cuba once sat. The trial ended on July 21, 1999

So this was you fleeing Florida to Cuba?

Amazing.

CubaTruckBoaters-500x262.jpg

Why do you hate high paying union jobs, why do you hate freedom comrade?

I thought unions were evil commies and the freedom loving US has the most people in jail on this planet and spends $billions to spy on it's own citizens. Allthough I guess it absolutely loves the freedom of banks and corporations to commit fraud and dodge taxes

:banana:

I thought unions were evil commies and the freedom loving US has the most people in jail on this planet and spends $billions to spy on it's own citizens. Allthough I guess it absolutely loves the freedom of banks and corporations to commit fraud and dodge taxes

I need a translation on that one

Have you made progress on my political asylum in Rotterdam...? Hurry bro

Forum List

Back