Finally, proof of who gave the order to switch Flint's water supply!

Problem was the mother truckers in Detroit screwed over Flint leaving them no option but to find an interim supplier.

That was Flint River. The issue is not the switch. The issue is that no one was properly treating the water.

The switch is significant Since the decision was made without input from the City council or the mayor. The responsibility for any issues coming out of that rested with the city manager and the Governor who sent him to Flint.
That includes the lead and anything else associated with the action..

Snyder said that Detroit, after being informed of the Flint council vote, sent a "letter of termination" of water service. Detroit sent a letter giving Flint one year on its existing contract, but that didn't mean Flint couldn't get water from Detroit after that date. In fact, there was a flurry of negotiations between Detroit and Flint to sign a new contract that would carry Flint through until it could connect to the under-construction pipeline. That new contract was going to cost Flint more money.
This distinction is important to note because merely stating that Flint received a "letter of termination" makes it sound as if a thirsty Flint had no choice but to stick a straw in the Flint River. Flint could have elected to sign a new contract with the the Detroit water system (in fact, Flint reconnected to Detroit water after the situation in the city became a full-fledged, hair-on-fire crisis). Flint disconnected from Detroit because it was cheaper to take water from the Flint River until the new pipeline was completed. Here's a letter from then-emergency manager Darnell Earley saying Flint was choosing to use Flint water instead of Detroit water.
Which brings us to the state's timeline statement: "June 2013: City of Flint decides to use the Flint River as a water source."
Flint officials didn't make that decision while under state emergency management. State-appointed emergency manager Ed Kurtz made that decision, which would have had to be approved by the state. Here's the document from June 2013 signed by Kurtz authorizing an engineering contract to figure out how to draw water from the river.

The call: Foul
It may seem like this is deep in the weeds, but this is why it's important: This is a major health crisis for the state, and it's a crisis that is man-made. There's no doubt that a series of actions all played a role in the elevated lead levels in the bloodstreams of some Flint children. When the governor's own timeline says the "City of Flint decides to use the Flint River," it can't be dismissed as shorthand for the truth. The wording conflates an earlier city vote to transition from Detroit to the KWA with that of a Snyder-appointed emergency manager to use the Flint River as an interim source of water. Truth Squad calls a foul.
Doesn't matter to me here. Part of switching to another water source and service required a NEW TREATMENT PLANT. Even had the waterline been completed from Lake Huron already, if they had pumped out lower ph water anyway the problem would be the same.

Who determined the final Standards of transmitted water? To me...........that is the CORE OF THE PROBLEM...........Had they raised the ph then using the Flint River wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

As I said above, the BUCK stops with the State. The Governor appointed a surrogagte to run the town and that surrogate made the decision to switch the water supply. Any issues with that decision cannot be laid on the doorstep of the city or the mayor who had no input on that decision.

When did the relevations come out that the water was corrosive and who was told? Who had that information and what did they do with it? Was it a matter of money that Flint River continued to be used for drinking water? Who made that decision? WHo had the responsibility to give Flint a proper water supply and did not?

I imagine there are going to be lawsuits.

Lawsuits already. In the beginning everyone and their mother was trying to make the decision to use Flint River was over finances but it wasn't. Flint Council got screwed by Detroit. KWA wasn't finished and Detroit Water and Sewage cut them off.

The city needed water. Here's where no one is talking. And why I am so interested in Eagle's posts concerning the water treatment. And who screwed up there.

I mean seriously D or R politician can't be expected to be touring the water plant and taking their own samples to be tested. I know I don't expect my Premier to be testing my water supply. You trust your city employees to be properly treating the water.

And you certainly expect your Department of Health not to lie about lead levels poisoning the good people of Flint. Let alone fudging data.

What a dog's breakfast!

I'm a conservative, but when it comes to public health and responsibility, politics have to be set aside. Thank you JQPublic and Tiny Dancer for your informative posts.

Can DHHS be found culpable?

When did the relevations come out that the water was corrosive and who was told? Who had that information and what did they do with it? Was it a matter of money that Flint River continued to be used for drinking water? Who made that decision? WHo had the responsibility to give Flint a proper water supply and did not?

I imagine there are going to be lawsuits.

Lawsuits already. In the beginning everyone and their mother was trying to make the decision to use Flint River was over finances but it wasn't. Flint Council got screwed by Detroit. KWA wasn't finished and Detroit Water and Sewage cut them off.

The city needed water. Here's where no one is talking. And why I am so interested in Eagle's posts concerning the water treatment. And who screwed up there.

I mean seriously D or R politician can't be expected to be touring the water plant and taking their own samples to be tested. I know I don't expect my Premier to be testing my water supply. You trust your city employees to be properly treating the water.

And you certainly expect your Department of Health not to lie about lead levels poisoning the good people of Flint. Let alone fudging data.

What a dog's breakfast!
Looks like it can be a Federal lawsuit for the Health Dept. Let's see if that goes anywhere. Thank you, Eagle.

Problem was the mother truckers in Detroit screwed over Flint leaving them no option but to find an interim supplier.

That was Flint River. The issue is not the switch. The issue is that no one was properly treating the water.

The switch is significant Since the decision was made without input from the City council or the mayor. The responsibility for any issues coming out of that rested with the city manager and the Governor who sent him to Flint.

Snyder said that Detroit, after being informed of the Flint council vote, sent a "letter of termination" of water service. Detroit sent a letter giving Flint one year on its existing contract, but that didn't mean Flint couldn't get water from Detroit after that date. In fact, there was a flurry of negotiations between Detroit and Flint to sign a new contract that would carry Flint through until it could connect to the under-construction pipeline. That new contract was going to cost Flint more money.
This distinction is important to note because merely stating that Flint received a "letter of termination" makes it sound as if a thirsty Flint had no choice but to stick a straw in the Flint River. Flint could have elected to sign a new contract with the the Detroit water system (in fact, Flint reconnected to Detroit water after the situation in the city became a full-fledged, hair-on-fire crisis). Flint disconnected from Detroit because it was cheaper to take water from the Flint River until the new pipeline was completed. Here's a letter from then-emergency manager Darnell Earley saying Flint was choosing to use Flint water instead of Detroit water.
Which brings us to the state's timeline statement: "June 2013: City of Flint decides to use the Flint River as a water source."
Flint officials didn't make that decision while under state emergency management. State-appointed emergency manager Ed Kurtz made that decision, which would have had to be approved by the state. Here's the document from June 2013 signed by Kurtz authorizing an engineering contract to figure out how to draw water from the river.

It may seem like this is deep in the weeds, but this is why it's important: This is a major health crisis for the state, and it's a crisis that is man-made. There's no doubt that a series of actions all played a role in the elevated lead levels in the bloodstreams of some Flint children. When the governor's own timeline says the "City of Flint decides to use the Flint River," it can't be dismissed as shorthand for the truth. The wording conflates an earlier city vote to transition from Detroit to the KWA with that of a Snyder-appointed emergency manager to use the Flint River as an interim source of water. Truth Squad calls a foul.
Doesn't matter to me here. Part of switching to another water source and service required a NEW TREATMENT PLANT. Even had the waterline been completed from Lake Huron already, if they had pumped out lower ph water anyway the problem would be the same.

Who determined the final Standards of transmitted water? To me...........that is the CORE OF THE PROBLEM...........Had they raised the ph then using the Flint River wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

As I said above, the BUCK stops with the State. The Governor appointed a surrogagte to run the town and that surrogate made the decision to switch the water supply. Any issues with that decision cannot be laid on the doorstep of the city or the mayor who had no input on that decision.

I've not seen the Governor accuse anyone involved in this fiasco. And up until today I haven't seen anyone else take responsibility for the failures in this situation until the EPA resigned.

Seriously. How on earth could anyone expect the Mayor or the Council to do anything else but to trust the word of the DHHS that continually lied and said the water was safe. I just find that so crazy that your very own health department would let this go on.

It's unreal. I get a brain cramp every time I really think about it.

The smoking gun to me is who determined the final product chemical treatment for the city?

Whoever made the call for the final product obviously didn't take into consideration the old pipes. The water being produced was safe drinking water if taken directly out of the treatment facility. Yet it didn't consider the old pipes to change to MINIMIZE the OLD lead pipes that would transmit the problem.

Finally, once it was known that it was a problem who stalled on bringing it to the people's attention and to the Politician's attention, and then who stalled on taking action on the problem? Any of them there are subject to getting raked over the coals and fired and/or sued. They WILL BE SUED and will end up paying A LOT OF MONEY.

Right now, they are all trying to avoid being the one's having to pay out in the final Law suit.

And to top it off, the Governors request for Federal Assistance was a decent move considering that everyone in the city would basically need a small Filtering system in their home to stop the lead content in their home. Because.........if I've read it correctly.........that once the inside of the pipes are damaged it will take TIME to stop the lead from bleeding into the water supply. So home filters would be the only way to immediately deal with it.

Bottom line. The City, as do many cities...........NEED NEW WATER MAINS.................If they are made out of LEAD then they WILL ALWAYS EMIT LEAD TO SOME EXTENT. It is a part of our aging Infrastructure that SOONER OR LATER will have to be addressed. And the costs of doing so will be high.

I've not seen the Governor accuse anyone involved in this fiasco. And up until today I haven't seen anyone else take responsibility for the failures in this situation until the EPA resigned.

Seriously. How on earth could anyone expect the Mayor or the Council to do anything else but to trust the word of the DHHS that continually lied and said the water was safe. I just find that so crazy that your very own health department would let this go on.

It's unreal. I get a brain cramp every time I really think about it.
Really, you're right. I commend you on your knowledge about this tragic situation. I learned a lot tonight.

I'm a conservative, but when it comes to public health and responsibility, politics have to be set aside. Thank you JQPublic and Tiny Dancer for your informative posts.

Can DHHS be found culpable?

You're welcome and I'm with you. Politcs to me shouldn't be a factor in this because all these politicians were relying on professionals to advise them.

This is where I think we will witness the DHHS have its back up against the wall. Because they knew in 2014 not sure if I gave you that link. They knew as soon as the taps were turned on that there was a problem.

Seriously it just jaw drops me. This just makes me want to scream.

"The DHHS team immediately found evidence of a problem. Specifically, in the summer months of July, August and September of 2014 immediately after the switch, blood lead levels in Flint had been much higher than normal."

It leaves me breathless.

Michigan Health Department Hid Evidence of Health Harm Due to Lead Contaminated Water: Allowed False Public Assurances by MDEQ and Stonewalled Outside Researchers

The smoking gun to me is who determined the final product chemical treatment for the city?

Whoever made the call for the final product obviously didn't take into consideration the old pipes. The water being produced was safe drinking water if taken directly out of the treatment facility. Yet it didn't consider the old pipes to change to MINIMIZE the OLD lead pipes that would transmit the problem.

Finally, once it was known that it was a problem who stalled on bringing it to the people's attention and to the Politician's attention, and then who stalled on taking action on the problem? Any of them there are subject to getting raked over the coals and fired and/or sued. They WILL BE SUED and will end up paying A LOT OF MONEY.

Right now, they are all trying to avoid being the one's having to pay out in the final Law suit.

And to top it off, the Governors request for Federal Assistance was a decent move considering that everyone in the city would basically need a small Filtering system in their home to stop the lead content in their home. Because.........if I've read it correctly.........that once the inside of the pipes are damaged it will take TIME to stop the lead from bleeding into the water supply. So home filters would be the only way to immediately deal with it.

Bottom line. The City, as do many cities...........NEED NEW WATER MAINS.................If they are made out of LEAD then they WILL ALWAYS EMIT LEAD TO SOME EXTENT. It is a part of our aging Infrastructure that SOONER OR LATER will have to be addressed. And the costs of doing so will be high.
And think of the children being affected! :(

Democrat fingerprints will be all over any proof but only Republicans will be blamed.

Wasting trillions on bullshit wars halfway round the world while "we the people" are drinking sub standard water here at home.

Yup

Wasn't replacing the infrastructure (I.e. lead water pipes) with "shovel ready jobs" something Obama said he was going to use the stimulus money for? Instead that money was diverted to the Democrat Party, didn't it?

Wasn't replacing the infrastructure (I.e. lead water pipes) with "shovel ready jobs" something Obama said he was going to use the stimulus money for? Instead that money was diverted to the Democrat Party, didn't it?
Democratic party...

Its the water plants fault, not the epa's. Snyder ignored the problem until he couldn't anymore, that was his crime.

The water plant's been in taking 12 million gallons of river water a day. The plant has been filtering, softening and testing to make sure the water meets the Department of Environmental Quality standards as well as the water department's standards.

"We've got the best technology for treating river water. It was there as a back-up, now we'll be able to use for a period of time as a primary supply," says Flint Mayor Dayne Walling. "This is a historic step for us. It's the day where we actually turn off the Detroit system and turn on the treated Flint River water going into our drinking water supply."

The change from the Detroit pipeline is one that city leaders have been working toward for a while.

It's just one of the steps the city hopes will lead them out of emergency manager control.

"This is something that we have done, quarterly, over the last decade or so. We do not intend to stop drawing that water in until the Karagondi reaches our plant with the raw water," says Howard Croft, Director of Public Works for the city of Flint.

City officials say for nearly 50 years Detroit has raised water rates on the city at will. Now with the river supplying water, customers wonder if they'll see a change.

"No. Average residents won't notice any difference. The system, as it's designed, has very complex treatment standards and systems built into it. As we've talked before, the plant went through an extensive upgrade in the early 2000s," says Flint Utilities Administrator Daugherty Johnson.

The city will start processing Flint river water and officials hope it will be the source of water for the entire city. The Karegnondi water pipeline is scheduled to be completed in 2016.

Now with the switch officially being flipped and the city getting it's water from the river the D.E.Q. says that they'll remain in contact with the folks at the plant to make sure that the quality remains high.

Read more: http://www.wnem.com/story/25341227/flint-begins-using-own-water-supply#ixzz3xyqhKj4S

FLINT, MI -- Workers at the city's water treatment plant have bumped up their use of lime in an effort to cut down on both water hardness and rising customer complaints.

Daugherty Johnson, utilities administrator at Flint's water treatment plant, said today, June 12, that 75 percent of raw water is now being treated with lime compared to 25 percent treatment when the city made the initial switch from using Lake Huron to using the Flint River as a drinking water source on April 25.

"We know there's a hardness issue ... We're working through that," Johnson said during a press briefing by emergency manager Darnell Earley today, June 12.

City adding more lime to Flint River water as resident complaints pour in

Forum List

Back