Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

Just like a Repuglicant to not want to pay for county services.

What ever happened to getting what you pay for? Choice of what, as a home owner, protection you carry?

The problem is the one that happened here. Let's say you choose not to have fire protection and your home burns. That's fine. But then your neighbor, who did pay for fire protection, has to wait and watch his own house catch fire before the flames are put out. That second house never had to be damaged.

Take it a step further. Let's say the first neighbor's home is also not covered. So the fire department sits and waits for another home to catch. And then maybe another. At some point fires become too large to contain without extreme measures. Then what?

It's a big issue in towns like mine, full of 100-year old frame buildings built either as rowhomes or with very little space in between structures. Last year around this time we lost most of a block of the business district to a fire and had several small fires kindle downwind from smoldering debris carried on the breeze. And that was with firefighters able to respond and act immediately.

Which is why it's a public safety issue, not a personal property issue. You can lose a hell of a big chunk of a town to a single fire if it spreads too far before firefighters can get to work.

Lots of what if? What if everyone sues the homeowner who's fire it was in the first place for NOT buying coverage?

fringe what?

fringe left side of the bell curve?

Fringe today is best described by the rug being rolled into a tube. The far left and the far right meet at the fringe, and the loudest voices today are from the finge which before the move was on the far right edge.
So Del, respond to the analogy of healthcare. If he had chosen not to pay for a required public option and went to the local hospital for treatment of a serious infectious disease, should he be treated or sent away. Not a perfect example, but one which deserves consideration, imo.

You're using a ridiculous analogy.

In your comparison, there is a distinction between lives at stake, and no lives at stake.

Use a better analogy and we'll talk.

Lives at stake in a house fire, which has the potential to spread, explode or put toxic chemicals in the air and disease which is infectious not ridiculous comparisons. I suspect knowning I was running errands you felt the power to respond with an arrogant idiotgram.
Thanks for sharing.

My bet: the property insurance carriers in the county coverage area will require that homeowners pay the $75 fee.

My bet is that their home owners insurance is already through the roof, especially if they aren't paying for the service.

As an insurer..... i would not cover any property owner that did not pay the $75 dollar opt in for fire service.

Why should an insurer cover property you are unwilling to have the fire department come an put out a fire in your home?
As I wrote previously, insurers know the ratings. If a municipality had an 'option' of fire protection that would be one of the questions on the application to answer yes or no, regarding your payment of such. If the owner said 'yes' he paid, then failed to do so, that would nullify the coverage.

You're exactly what is wrong with America. If you woulda read the fucking article, you would see he offered to pay if they would put the fire out.. But they basically said tough luck, and it wasn't until it spread to the neighbours (who has the "coverage") that they put it out.
What happened to helping people, and not worrying about cost or profit? Imagine if this had been the mayor of this town.. Gu-ran-tee they woulda put that fire out, regardless if he'd have payed the fee.

At a minute after midnight. Ive seen the light. I will pay now. :lol:

Glad to see you agree with the decision to let the house burn to the ground. My point is proven.

The only thing you have proven is you live up to your name.

Young Naive and Liberal.

Fringe today is best described by the rug being rolled into a tube. The far left and the far right meet at the fringe, and the loudest voices today are from the finge which before the move was on the far right edge.
So Del, respond to the analogy of healthcare. If he had chosen not to pay for a required public option and went to the local hospital for treatment of a serious infectious disease, should he be treated or sent away. Not a perfect example, but one which deserves consideration, imo.

In your comparison, there is a distinction between lives at stake, and no lives at stake.

Lives at stake in a house fire, which has the potential to spread, explode or put toxic chemicals in the air and disease which is infectious not ridiculous comparisons. I suspect knowning I was running errands you felt the power to respond with an arrogant idiotgram.
Thanks for sharing.
Idiot.

Just like a Repuglicant to not want to pay for county services.

What ever happened to getting what you pay for? Choice of what, as a home owner, protection you carry?

The problem is the one that happened here. Let's say you choose not to have fire protection and your home burns. That's fine. But then your neighbor, who did pay for fire protection, has to wait and watch his own house catch fire before the flames are put out. That second house never had to be damaged.

Take it a step further. Let's say the first neighbor's home is also not covered. So the fire department sits and waits for another home to catch. And then maybe another. At some point fires become too large to contain without extreme measures. Then what?

It's a big issue in towns like mine, full of 100-year old frame buildings built either as rowhomes or with very little space in between structures. Last year around this time we lost most of a block of the business district to a fire and had several small fires kindle downwind from smoldering debris carried on the breeze. And that was with firefighters able to respond and act immediately.

Which is why it's a public safety issue, not a personal property issue. You can lose a hell of a big chunk of a town to a single fire if it spreads too far before firefighters can get to work.
Not to mention with one or more burnt out homes property values would tend to go down.

Lots of what if? What if everyone sues the homeowner who's fire it was in the first place for NOT buying coverage?

Not really a what if, a perfectly plausible scenario in a setting where there are people who choose not to pay for services they don't want to believe they will need. It happened in this case, if you go back and read the story at the link. A second home never had to be involved if the fire was put out immediately.

Go ahead and sue, but the homeowner without coverage had no legal or contractual obligation to purchase service. It was his private property to allow to burn, and so what if it endangered the neighbors? He had no obligation to them. That's the official policy of the municipality.

Even if there were a duty found in civil court regardless of the lack of any legal duty to protect the property, will payment ever be received? Will either party's homeowner's insurance pay for damage that was basically voluntary in nature - to both structures? Will property owners throughout the municipality now find steeper insurance rates or be denied coverage as a result of this event and the publicity surrounding it? How badly was the second home damaged, is there a family homeless because of this voluntary coverage policy who didn't have to be? There are lots of issues here that go far beyond private property rights.

I understand you're a conservative and prefer private responsibility and property rights over community protection, but there really are times when protecting your neighbor is the best way to protect yourself. Fire protection is one of them.

Thanks for sharing.
Idiot.

Stupid asshole.

Thanks for sharing.

Yep. The whole board cowers at your towering intellect so we all wait till you're out 'running errands' before we dare post.

*Sniggers*

Thanks for sharing.
Idiot.

Stupid asshole.

If that is true about SI, then at least only SI's asshole is stupid.

In your case, every fiber of your being is idiotic.

Thanks for sharing.

Yep. The whole board cowers at your towering intellect so we all wait till you're out 'running errands' before we dare post.

*Sniggers*
Careful. The delusional can become physically combative if you introduce reality into their delusions.

Just FYI.

Thanks for sharing.

*Sniggers*
Careful. The delusional can become physically combative if you introduce reality into their delusions.

Just FYI.

I ain't scared of no yellow bellied whining lefty. :lol::lol:

Thanks for sharing.

*Sniggers*

Point missed, big surprise. Point being, the response was an arrogant idiotgram and not worth a response. Much like those who express themselves with emoticons.
Oh, and thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.

Knowing you were running errands? :lol:

How long have you known I was telepathic? I thought I was hiding it pretty well.

I suspect knowing I was away from the computer cooking some eggs and potatoes, and then taking a shit afterwards, followed by a shower, you felt the power to respond back with an idiotgram of your own.

Wanna know what a conservative only world looks like? Look no further than Obion County, Tennessee:
Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won’t respond, then watches it burn. That’s exactly what happened to a local family tonight. A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn’t do anything to stop his house from burning. Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay. The mayor said if homeowners don’t pay, they’re out of luck. [...]

We asked the mayor of South Fulton if the chief could have made an exception. “Anybody that’s not in the city of South Fulton, it’s a service we offer, either they accept it or they don’t,” Mayor David Crocker said.
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

As ThinkProgress points out:
A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance

Just one prime example of the difference between the way conservatives govern and the way progressives govern.

As TP put it:
One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background.

Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

That's the choice we have this november- The conservative fend-for-yourself (besides the companies that ship jobs overseas) choice, or the liberal I-am-my-brothers-keeper choice.

Typical liberal democrat oral vomit...

Thanks for sharing.

*Sniggers*

Point missed, big surprise. Point being, the response was an arrogant idiotgram and not worth a response. Much like those who express themselves with emoticons.
Oh, and thanks so much for sharing.

and yet....

Wanna know what a conservative only world looks like? Look no further than Obion County, Tennessee:
Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won’t respond, then watches it burn. That’s exactly what happened to a local family tonight. A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn’t do anything to stop his house from burning. Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay. The mayor said if homeowners don’t pay, they’re out of luck. [...]

We asked the mayor of South Fulton if the chief could have made an exception. “Anybody that’s not in the city of South Fulton, it’s a service we offer, either they accept it or they don’t,” Mayor David Crocker said.
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance

Just one prime example of the difference between the way conservatives govern and the way progressives govern.

As TP put it:
One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background.

Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

That's the choice we have this november- The conservative fend-for-yourself (besides the companies that ship jobs overseas) choice, or the liberal I-am-my-brothers-keeper choice.

What a stupid dumb-ass policy. The guy is obviously is a moran for not paying the fee, and the fee itself is moranic. There's so much derp in this story.

This must have been in some rural 'burb. You couldn't get away with this policy in the city, where anything larger than a contained camp fire is a major public safety issue. If I was in this guy's shoes, I'd take it to court for no other reason than to get the policy eliminated. But before I took it to court I'd pay someone $75 to kick my ass for being a stupid shit.

As TP put it:

What a stupid dumb-ass policy. The guy is obviously is a moran for not paying the fee, and the fee itself is moranic. There's so much derp in this story.

This must have been in some rural 'burb. You couldn't get away with this policy in the city, where anything larger than a contained camp fire is a major public safety issue. If I was in this guy's shoes, I'd take it to court for no other reason than to get the policy eliminated. But before I took it to court I'd pay someone $75 to kick my ass for being a stupid shit.

Wow! Just wow. You do realize that a significant percentage of the US population still lives in rural zones? Indeed many suburbs have to parcel out fire/police/ambulance to other areas, even in metro areas? Making it optional is a weird point, granted. But it stood for 20 or more years.

Forum List

Back