First Amendment for ALL religions?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Okla. Satanists seek monument by Statehouse steps

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including Satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument outside the Statehouse.

The Republican-controlled Legislature in this state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009, and it was placed on the Capitol grounds last year despite criticism from legal experts who questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit seeking its removal.

But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

1456648_687693671252501_1305761567_n.jpg

Since I don't believe in satan any more than I believe in the various other gods, I don't have a problem with this. Except, of course, that just as the Christians should have to pay for own idols, so should any and all other religions.

Satanic Monument Proposed for Oklahoma Capitol Grounds | This Land Press

... The Satanic Temple made its proposal to the state’s Capitol Preservation Commission, then announced it publicly via press release. In the release, Lucien Greaves, the temple’s spokesman, said:

“y accepting our offer, the good people of Oklahoma City will have the opportunity to show that they espouse the basic freedoms spelled out in the Constitution. We imagine that the ACLU would also embrace such a response. Allowing us to donate a monument would show that the Oklahoma City Council does not discriminate, and both the religious and non-religious should be happy with such an outcome. Our mission is to bring people together by finding common sentiments that create solutions that everyone can appreciate and enjoy.”

The release described the proposed monument as an “homage to the historic/literary Satan” and said its purpose is “to complement and contrast the Ten Commandments monument that already resides on the North side of the building.”

The temple is still awaiting the commission’s response.

Addicting Info contends the state must accept the temple’s donation, estimated at $20,000. “Okla., thanks to its argument for religious monuments on public display, now must accept the Satanic Temple and their memorial,” the site reported. “The law allows them to put it right next to the 10 Commandments, if they so desire. Next week, who knows, perhaps the Satanic Temple will get the opportunity to name a new public school. It’s not like the state would be hypocrites who would only accept their own narrow religious views in direct violation of the US Constitution after all.”

Republicans should do us all a favor and just keep out of issues that are over their head:

Rep. Bobby Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, who recently announced plans to propose a bill that would prevent litigation against teachers who say “Merry Christmas” in schools, told the AP “many Christians feel they are under attack as a result of political correctness” and dismissed the Temple’s proposal. “I think these Satanists are a different group,” he said. “You put them under the nut category.” - See more at: Satanic Monument Proposed for Oklahoma Capitol Grounds | This Land Press

Hey, I'm impressed.

More than 20 views and so far, no one is against the First Amendment for all religions.

Cool.

Calling Satanism a religion is like calling shit pie a dessert...while technically correct, what respectable human being wants to partake in either one. It's nothing more than a manipulative ploy by people who embrace and worship evil.

Hey, I'm impressed.

More than 20 views and so far, no one is against the First Amendment for all religions.

Cool.

I should have known this thread was a waste of time when I saw that you posted it, you really need to learn to search before you start a thread.

Forum List

Back