Florida man accused of killing iguana uses “stand your ground” defense to try to get charge dropped

Iguanas are an invasive species....and do not belong in Florida.
South Americans and Haitians kill them all the time for food.
There is nothing good in having Iguanas in your neighborhood

So kill them. What the man did, in this case, was torture.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
What the man did, in this case, was torture.
I dont know what the video means by torture

Exactly how did he torture the iguana?

If so he should pay a fine or pick up trash on the weekend but not go to prison

Thats stupid

Thats stupid

From the linked article:
"According to the incident report, security video showed Patterson drag the 3-foot iguana by its tail before he tormented and stepped on it. The report said the iguana appeared to bite Patterson, who then kicked it and threw it around multiple times."

"The video showed the iguana tried to hide under a car but Patterson continued to attack it and throw it around. The iguana suffered a fractured liver and pelvis and died from its injuries. The cause of death turned out to be blunt force trauma."

That is far beyond killing an invasive species.

Thats stupid

From the linked article:
"According to the incident report, security video showed Patterson drag the 3-foot iguana by its tail before he tormented and stepped on it. The report said the iguana appeared to bite Patterson, who then kicked it and threw it around multiple times."

"The video showed the iguana tried to hide under a car but Patterson continued to attack it and throw it around. The iguana suffered a fractured liver and pelvis and died from its injuries. The cause of death turned out to be blunt force trauma."

Tormenting it in what way?

Thats stupid

From the linked article:

Tormenting it in what way?

Dragging it by the tail, stepping on it, and throwing it around? That doesn't sound like tormenting?

"The iguana suffered a fractured liver and pelvis and died from its injuries."

He had numerous opportunities to leave and pursued the animal nonetheless. Apparently the video of the incident did not sway the judge to his line of defense even though in Florida you are allowed to kill them so long as it is done in a swift and humane manner. This lasted for 30 minutes, so I am going with the animal cruelty charge being justified.

Dragging it by the tail, stepping on it, and throwing it around? That doesn't sound like tormenting?
I don't suppose he had an air rifle or crossbow to shoot it with

so swinging it with great force against a rock may have been his only option

But if we see the video I might change my mind and agree to some limited community service

But if we see the video I might change my mind and agree to some limited community service

I think that is a stretch, but it is possible. So why step on it, kick it, and throw it around? This was sadistic cruelty.

FYI, there are strong ties between animal cruelty and violent behavior towards humans, especially defenseless humans.

I think that is a stretch, but it is possible. So why step on it, kick it, and throw it around? This was sadistic cruelty.

FYI, there are strong ties between animal cruelty and violent behavior towards humans, especially defenseless humans.
can you post a link to the video?

Forum List

Back