Florida: tree cactus becomes first local species killed off by sea-level rise

This is Florida, where the previous Governor, who is now a U.S. Senator, would not allow the words "climate change" to be spoken in an official capacity.

I have no idea if his replacement, Trump-lite, is following the same policy, but I'm sure the mindset that remains is the same, if not worse.

Man is ignorant, but Republicans double down.

It is a false claim since the species still exist on a few other places, besides that it may have been a recent visitor in Florida hence the tiny population base:

"The Key Largo tree cactus (Pilosocereus millspaughii) still grows on a few scattered islands in the Caribbean, including northern Cuba and parts of the Bahamas. In the United States, it was restricted to a single population in the Florida Keys, first discovered in 1992 and monitored intermittently since."

LINK

Sea level was higher there a few centuries ago when it was commonly higher then around the world:

The Holocene Sea Level Highstand​

LINK

Who cares

This plant was listed as endangered in 1984, long before a 1/4" of impossible to measure sea level rise

Habitat loss because man built bridges, roads, gas stations, homes, and great places to visit.

Some things must die so I can enjoy the beach
I was in Florida and did not see Cactus. Florida seems to be thriving even with little or no Cactus. And if it has a lot of Cactus, as some posters will tell us, nothing to worry about anyway.

I was in Florida and did not see Cactus. Florida seems to be thriving even with little or no Cactus. And if it has a lot of Cactus, as some posters will tell us, nothing to worry about anyway.

My hair grows down to my butt ... so I'm not welcome in Florida, especially Orlando ... totally prejudiced ... just a hateful people ... but not as many sea snakes ... just hungry sharks ...

Very sad. RIP
Killed by mans stupidity and ignorance..
What will be next on conservatisms death list ? Gods will I suppose ?
You don't live in Florida, you have little grounds for whining

Come on Tommy, practice the bullshit that you preach

When I was in Florida, damned if I recall seeing any Cactus there. To see Cactus head over to Arizona. They have plenty of them.
Well that's you, when I was in Florida, I was running along the beach and found a cactus with pomegranate-ish fruit on it.

That's really a Prickly Pear, not the cactus in the OP.

Like this:

images

But I'm sure the cactus in the OP is in this link.

This is all the cacti I've ever seen and more:

Well that's you, when I was in Florida, I was running along the beach and found a cactus with pomegranate-ish fruit on it.

That's really a Prickly Pear, not the cactus in the OP.

Like this:

images

But I'm sure the cactus in the OP is in this link.

This is all the cacti I've ever seen and more:

I have owned homes that had Cacti in the past. I did not run on the Florida beach though I went there at South Beach. The white sand is pretty good.

I have owned homes that had Cacti in the past. I did not run on the Florida beach though I went there at South Beach. The white sand is pretty good.
Actually South Beach is crushed shells. From the tides. Daytona is the same.

If you want white sand, it's Pensacola or Sarasota. Some could argue Clearwater, I suppose.

And I'm leaving out the best beach in the country because I'm keeping that to myself and those I know.

If you ain't from heanh, you don't need to be knowing 'bout dat dere.

We wanna keep that on the DL.

Seriously though, South Beach is crushed shells from the tides.

The 1st time I went to South Beach, A Man O' War wrapped around my leg. Not a good day.

Last edited:
Actually South Beach is crushed shells. From the tides. Daytona is the same.

If you want white sand, it's Pensacola or Sarasota. Some could argue Clearwater, I suppose.

And I'm leaving out the best beach in the country because I'm keeping that to myself and those I know.

If you ain't from heanh, you don't need to be knowing 'bout dat dere.

We wanna keep that on the DL.

Seriously though, South Beach is crushed shells from the tides.

The 1st time I went to South Beach, A Man O' War wrapped around my leg. Not a good day.
It felt like sand. But Crushed shells are like that too. I believe you know more than I do about this. Frankly I heard that the women on the beach went topless. None of them when I was there were topless.

It felt like sand. But Crushed shells are like that too. I believe you know more than I do about this. Frankly I heard that the women on the beach went topless. None of them when I was there were topless.
That's uh..Bear Beach, AFAIK. It's ..not too far from South Beach.

Topless hell, they all go buck naked there. Most of which you would rather not see. When they're 67 and have a saggy ass, that's not hot. They do it, and I guess it's legal, but uh..meh.
Aw! I forgot about Haulover. Not that there ain't old tanned people there. Old people you don't wanna see nekkid, I'm
tellin' ya. There's nekkidity, but you gotta ask yourself if that's really something you want to see.
Personally, I'll pass. :dunno:

Last edited:
That's uh..Bear Beach, AFAIK. It's ..not too far from South Beach.

Topless hell, they all go buck naked there. Most of which you would rather not see. When they're 67 and have a saggy ass, that's not hot. They do it, and I guess it's legal, but uh..meh.
Aw! I forgot about Haulover. Not that there ain't old tanned people there. Old people you don't wanna see nekkid, I'm
tellin' ya. There's nekkidity, but you gotta ask yourself if that's really something you want to see.
Personally, I'll pass. :dunno:
Well I had driven there down the road next to the ocean from Ft. Lauderdale and am not familiar with those beaches. So no nudity at South Beach? I know it was that beach. I really don't need to see naked humans. But if a foxy woman was nude, it would be a story.

Very sad. RIP
Killed by mans stupidity and ignorance..
What will be next on conservatisms death list ? Gods will I suppose ?
The sea has been rising since the last glacial maximum (+20,000 years) and this is the first local species killed off by sea-level rise? Sounds like a win to me.

1720723466936.png

It took simple effort to research this catus to discover it was already on its way out back in....... 1917 as shown here:

No, USA Today, Rising Seas Aren’t to Blame for ‘disappearance of rare cactus in Florida’​

Excerpt:

A recent article in USA TODAY claims that a rare cactus in the Florida Keys has gone extinct due to sea level rise. This is false. Many factors have contributed to the decline of this cactus and much of it began over 100 years ago. USA TODAY and many other news outlets are misleading their readers into believing climate change is at fault by not reporting the full set of facts.

LINK

=============

MSM sucks as usual.

Forum List

Back