For those praising Wal-Mart pay raises

They claim it's to make needed plumbing repairs.
But they have yet to pull a single permit.

2,000 employees making $15k/yr = a savings of 3million bucks.......hmmmm
FYI
Walmart raised the pay of employees to $9 an hour this month (I think?), NOT $15 an hour! ;)

Walmarts close for repairs idiot republican thinks they are closing for good.....ahhh the mind of a simpleton.
Unlike you I read the story, saw it on my local news, and I even live it.
6 months......minimum.
How many can last six months on UEI?

They claim it's to make needed plumbing repairs.
But they have yet to pull a single permit.

2,000 employees making $15k/yr = a savings of 3million bucks.......hmmmm
FYI
Walmart raised the pay of employees to $9 an hour this month (I think?), NOT $15 an hour! ;)
Yes.
That's K/yr, tho.
Unless you mean where I linked back here, I was asking if people will be picketing to get $15/hr at these closed storea

How many believe the cover story...... Plumbing.......no permits ........6 months?
I don't think it sounds realistic, at least from what has been reported in this one article....it just doesn't make sense that no one knew that this would be taking place....and if this is how they operate, where the employee goes to work that day and finds out that same day the store is closing is a real crappy way to handle it with their employees.

Also makes me think they are trying to get around the laws of the state that say they MUST notify the State if they plan on closing and offer some kind of severance to their employees if it is a planned "shutting down".

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Walmart employee hourly wage going to $9 an hour this month, though.

How many believe the cover story...... Plumbing.......no permits ........6 months?
I explained earlier how that this isn't unreasonable. It can easily take six months to make repairs depending on the extent of thee project, the permit process and the engineering needed. It certainly doesn't sound like they had a clogged drain something was pretty wrong there. And the fact they had five in one day tells me they had a suspected problem and went with site visits to assess that problem. What that was we may never know for sure. System design issues at those five stores? Were all five locations designed by the same engineers and had something in common that was wrong? Who knows.

I don't think it sounds realistic, at least from what has been reported in this one article....it just doesn't make sense that no one knew that this would be taking place....and if this is how they operate, where the employee goes to work that day and finds out that same day the store is closing is a real crappy way to handle it with their employees.

Also makes me think they are trying to get around the laws of the state that say they MUST notify the State if they plan on closing and offer some kind of severance to their employees if it is a planned "shutting down".

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Walmart employee hourly wage going to $9 an hour this month, though.
When stores close they don't announce ahead of time due to theft and vandalism among other reasons. They do however bring the employees in and give them options to go to other locations. This of course is a planned closing so an emergency closing may take a few days to get employees put elsewhere if they choose to take that position. I've never seen a store close and all the employees were just fired on the spot.

When stores close they don't announce ahead of time due to theft and vandalism among other reasons. They do however bring the employees in and give them options to go to other locations. This of course is a planned closing so an emergency closing may take a few days to get employees put elsewhere if they choose to take that position. I've never seen a store close and all the employees were just fired on the spot.
Actually, they DO ANNOUNCE it ahead of time and employees ARE given notice....we in Corporate may know a few months ahead of the Store but employees were ALWAYS given notice....and offered a severance package, and bonus if they stayed until the doors actually closed. A month or two was needed to liquidate as many of the store goods as possible and we needed help/ workers to do such, and then after closing a few employees are kept to help pack up the furnishings and ship them out.... I've been through closing many individual department stores including an entire 20 store chain all at once...

So maybe there truly is some sort of plumbing problem because it makes no sense that the store is closing permanently, especially the way this has been handled so far...?

The stores may reopen.

They may not reopen.

The choice belongs only to the owners though inordinate delays in granting permits could add weight to the "never" side of the equation. Show me a liberal "local agency" that doesn't come down on the side of discouraging private employment.

If you can.

Actually, they DO ANNOUNCE it ahead of time and employees ARE given notice....we in Corporate may know a few months ahead of the Store but employees were ALWAYS given notice....and offered a severance package, and bonus if they stayed until the doors actually closed. A month or two was needed to liquidate as many of the store goods as possible and we needed help/ workers to do such, and then after closing a few employees are kept to help pack up the furnishings and ship them out.... I've been through closing many individual department stores including an entire 20 store chain all at once...

So maybe there truly is some sort of plumbing problem because it makes no sense that the store is closing permanently, especially the way this has been handled so far...?
You may know two months ahead but the employees don't. I've never seen more than 48 hours notice. 24 is more like it. They get brought in to a meeting the day before and are told what is happening. Some quit, others stay to load trucks instead of unload and stock and they are offered their new assignments if they choose to accept. Corporate knows, managers know and us that take care of their computer files know. Everyone else is left hanging until the last minute. Oh, and the pharmacy knows, those special snow flakes are treated pretty good. And they act like it.

You may know two months ahead but the employees don't. I've never seen more than 48 hours notice. 24 is more like it. They get brought in to a meeting the day before and are told what is happening. Some quit, others stay to load trucks instead of unload and stock and they are offered their new assignments if they choose to accept. Corporate knows, managers know and us that take care of their computer files know. Everyone else is left hanging until the last minute. Oh, and the pharmacy knows, those special snow flakes are treated pretty good. And they act like it.
See, I've only shut down Department Stores, once an entire chain because it had been bought out by another chain...it was one chain of the 6 or so chains that were part of the Corporation....and the new Department Store owners had another 40-50 or so more stores within the State, and did NOT buy out our inventory with the purchase, but two months was given in the Contract for the Sale for us to liquidate our merchandise. The buyer, with other Stores within the State with the same Department Store Name and lots of Direct Mail Advertising that needed the same product in all of their Stores, they didn't want to buy our inventory.... so we gave employees in all the stores notice, and an incentive to stay until closure or until we needed them no longer and the weak ones were let go within a couple of weeks when first told....and reliable ones kept... and little by little, as merchandise sold down, employees were leaving as they found other jobs, but we needed fewer of them as time went on....

And I have closed individual stores too and employees had at least a week or two notice, and we tried to liquidate as much as we could before shipping the remaining back to our warehouse...these were remote stores, that never met our expectations in sales.

Sounds like you were in the small item business, easier for employees to steal perhaps?

See, I've only shut down Department Stores, once an entire chain because it had been bought out by another chain...it was one chain of the 6 or so chains that were part of the Corporation....and the new Department Store owners had another 40-50 or so more stores within the State, and did NOT buy out our inventory with the purchase, but two months was given in the Contract for the Sale for us to liquidate our merchandise. The buyer, with other Stores within the State with the same Department Store Name and lots of Direct Mail Advertising that needed the same product in all of their Stores, they didn't want to buy our inventory.... so we gave employees in all the stores notice, and an incentive to stay until closure or until we needed them no longer and the weak ones were let go within a couple of weeks when first told....and reliable ones kept... and little by little, as merchandise sold down, employees were leaving as they found other jobs, but we needed fewer of them as time went on....

And I have closed individual stores too and employees had at least a week or two notice, and we tried to liquidate as much as we could before shipping the remaining back to our warehouse...these were remote stores, that never met our expectations in sales.

Sounds like you were in the small item business, easier for employees to steal perhaps?

I deal with grocery stores. In major markets. Time dated product. They don't have the time to try and sell a pair of jeans and re-warehouse them. Much like Walmart I'm thinking. The first item they lose is liquor, which just happens to be the only product that can not be purchased on credit it has to be paid for in cash upon delivery. The next biggest issue is the pharmacy. So many records and medications that have to be controlled down to the last second.

I can see why there would be a huge difference in how retail and groceries need to operate during a shutdown. That's why I'm giving Walmart the benefit of the doubt here. Closing a grocery store and a pharmacy is a big deal and not usually done at the spur of the moment because it costs so much. It has to be pretty serious for them to do that.

Forum List

Back