Ford, Honda (etc) moving away from electric vehicles despite leftist administration

I hope that's not your truck! it looks like it's got a bad head gasket or something! All that black smoke. I know blue smoke means the rings are bad.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
There was already a bad head gasket in the designer. What an absurd monstrosity!

Meanwhile this idiot Potatohead is giving the Big Three billions in EV subsidies and spending our tax money to build stupid charging stations.

Why spend billions for crap like that when we are $33 trillion in debt?

There may be a time when electric vehicles are viable but it is not with L-I technology.

Many of the people that rushed out to buy L-I vehicles regret it now.

Biden's IQ is too low not to be enamored of Musk and his auto industry cronies.

'That a megalomaniacal promoter like Musk could walk off with half a billion in taxpayer money, blow it in less than four years, and make himself the toast of Hollywood in the process is powerful evidence that the putative conservative party has vacated the ramparts of the US Treasury Department.'
(Stockman, The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America, p. 607)

Meanwhile this idiot Potatohead is giving the Big Three billions in EV subsidies and spending our tax money to build stupid charging stations.

There may be a time when electric vehicles are viable but it is not with L-I technology.

If by 'L-I' you mean lithium technology, then you're spinning your wheels. There is plenty of EV tech going on behind the back of the auto industry's more bulemic, low-IQ EV approach.

If by 'L-I' you mean lithium technology, then you're spinning your wheels. There is plenty of EV tech going on behind the back of the auto industry's more bulemic, low-IQ EV approach.
Solid state shows promise. However, the present Lithium - Ion technology is terrible.

L-I batteries are fine for hand held power tools like a hand held power drill or weed trimmer but sucks for vehicles.

I have no problem with electric vehicles if they work. What we have now is shitty technology.

My son has a Tesla. He will not get another EV for several reasons which I have articulated in other threads.

Nothing wrong with hybrids. The car manufactures should have never produced L-I vehicles and concentrated on hybrids. That was the next logical step for commuter vehicles.

Did I read this right?

Ford is losing $62,000 per vehicle?

I didn't think EVs cost much more than that.

From this site:

Elon Musk is even considering putting off plans for a $1 billion plant in Mexico.

me:

In any case, many companies are not enthused.

The American people never were.
Actually it was $32,350 in the 2nd quarter. Ford said the loss is “attributable to continued investment in next-generation EVs. Investments in EVs do not perfectly track sales because there’s a huge lag time between investment and production for a company like Ford.

While EV sales are growing rapidly, up 36% in 3rd quarter compared last year and 18.9% for 2023, those rates are going to drop rapidly by the end of the decade. 25% of the country live in apartments or housing that does not lend itself to easy EV charging. Also, most sales today are to owners who live in single family dwelling where charging is relatively easier and they have a 2nd car. By the end of decade, the auto industry is going have a harder job selling EVs to single car families and owners who do not have access to easy charging.

Here is an interesting solution.

My daughter has had an EV for over five years. She plugs it in one night a week in the garage and never stops at a gas station. Other than an inspection at 30,000 miles, she has had no need for any service other than tire rotation. There is far less maintenance with EVs than their gas-burning counterparts. You don't need oil, transmission fluid, fuel filters, air filters, coolants, timing belts, spark plugs, catalytic converters, mufflers, or tail pipes, etc.

They are easy to drive, very quiet, and ideal for short trips. Those that take trips over 1,000 miles should probably not consider an EV at this time unless they are willing to keep their driving distance less than 300 miles a day or pay over $75,000 for EV which will have a range of 300 to 500 miles.

Very few Americans take road trips over a thousand. A research study for the Bureau of Transportation, revealed that 52% of all trips, were less than three miles, with 28% of trips less than one mile. Just 2% of all trips were greater than 50 miles. And 99.2% of daily trips trips are less than 100 miles. Only 7% of American say they are likely to ever take a road trip greater than a 1,000 miles.

My daughter has had an EV for over five years. She plugs it in one night a week in the garage and never stops at a gas station. Other than an inspection at 30,000 miles, she has had no need for any service other than tire rotation. There is far less maintenance with EVs than their gas-burning counterparts. You don't need oil, transmission fluid, fuel filters, air filters, coolants, timing belts, spark plugs, catalytic converters, mufflers, or tail pipes, etc.

They are easy to drive, very quiet, and ideal for short trips. Those that take trips over 1,000 miles should probably not consider an EV at this time unless they are willing to keep their driving distance less than 300 miles a day or pay over $75,000 for EV which will have a range of 300 to 500 miles.

Very few Americans take road trips over a thousand. A research study for the Bureau of Transportation, revealed that 52% of all trips, were less than three miles, with 28% of trips less than one mile. Just 2% of all trips were greater than 50 miles. And 99.2% of daily trips trips are less than 100 miles. Only 7% of American say they are likely to ever take a road trip greater than a 1,000 miles.
My son has a Tesla for three years now. It cost him $65K out the door.

He also has garage plug in charger. It is fine for his daily commute to work in Atlanta but little else.

He mostly bought it as investment but the value of it has decreased significantly. He will never take it on a trip outside of the Atlanta again. The cost and inconvenience of long trips is a deal breaker. It cost him more to charge it on the road than he would pay in gas.

He had a fender bender a month ago and the people at Tesla is dragging their feet on wanting to repair it. Nobody else will touch it and the insurance company doesn't want to total it because of the tremendous cost.

He will never buy another EV.

The bottom line is that if the filthy government has to subsidize something to get you to buy it then ain't worth having.

He also has garage plug in charger. It is fine for his daily commute to work in Atlanta but little else.

He mostly bought it as investment but the value of it has decreased significantly. He will never take it on a trip outside of the Atlanta again. The cost and inconvenience of long trips is a deal breaker. It cost him more to charge it on the road than he would pay in gas.

He had a fender bender a month ago and the people at Tesla is dragging their feet on wanting to repair it. Nobody else will touch it and the insurance company doesn't want to total it because of the tremendous cost.

The bottom line is that if the filthy government has to subsidize something to get you to buy it then ain't worthhaving.No,thebottomlineistheinternalcombustionengine,relictofpastthatisuncreditable

The bottom line is that if the filthy government has to subsidize something to get you to buy it then ain't worth having.
No, the bottom line is that the internal combustion engine is a relict of the past whose place should be in a museum not in the family car. Only about 40% of the energy from gasoline produces motion. The remaining energy produces heat and gases poisonous to humans and the planet. By comparison the electric motor has an efficiency of about 95% with no harmful byproducts.

If government subsidies can help put an end to these Rub Goldberg machines, I am all for it.

No, the bottom line is that the internal combustion engine is a relict of the past whose place should be in a museum not in the family car. Only about 40% of the energy from gasoline produces motion. The remaining energy produces heat and gases poisonous to humans and the planet. By comparison the electric motor has an efficiency of about 95% with no harmful byproducts.

If government subsidies can help put an end to these Rub Goldberg machines, I am all for it.

Yeah, let's talk about relicts and Rub Goldberg machines.

:laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

No, the bottom line is that the internal combustion engine is a relict of the past
It may be but L-I batteries is terrible technology to replace it.

There may be a good battery technology to replace ICE one of these days but it is not the technology we have now. Solid State technology shows promise providing they can engineer the problems.

In the meantime a hybrid is a better choice than a stupid L-I battery for people doing daily commuting. ICE is still the best choice for any kind of work vehicle. Most of the people that bought one of the idiot L-I trucks like the Ford Lightning that moron President Potatohead was pushing regret doing it.

We are looking to soon get a new car for my wife to use. We will most likely get a new Honda CRV. For the millage she would put on it even a hybrid wouldn't make economic sense. The difference in cost between the hybrid CRV and the ICE CRV would not make up for lower cost of gas in the three or four years we normally keep a vehicle. Even with Potatohead's artificial elevated cost of gas at the pump. We will get the pretty efficient and very reliable ICE CRV. If we decide to keep the vehicle for longer than the three or years we normal do we don't have to worry about replacing the hybrid battery.

It may be but L-I batteries is terrible technology to replace it.

There may be a good battery technology to replace ICE one of these days but it is not the technology we have now. Solid State technology shows promise providing they can engineer the problems.

In the meantime a hybrid is a better choice than a stupid L-I battery for people doing daily commuting. ICE is still the best choice for any kind of work vehicle. Most of the people that bought one of the idiot L-I trucks like the Ford Lightning that moron President Potatohead was pushing regret doing it.

We are looking to soon get a new car for my wife to use. We will most likely get a new Honda CRV. For the millage she would put on it even a hybrid wouldn't make economic sense. The difference in cost between the hybrid CRV and the ICE CRV would not make up for lower cost of gas in the three or four years we normally keep a vehicle. Even with Potatohead's artificial elevated cost of gas at the pump. We will get the pretty efficient and very reliable ICE CRV. If we decide to keep the vehicle for longer than the three or years we normal do we don't have to worry about replacing the hybrid battery.
Subsidies are seen as necessary in order for auto makers to meet the greenhouse gas restrictions in the US. The average purchase price of an EV according Kelly's Blue Book in the US is $53,000, about $9,000 greater than the average gas powered vehicles so the $7500 subsidy certainly helps level the field.

I expect the protectionist policies that are keeping inexpensive mini EVs out of the US will disappear over the next ten years. For example the MG Comet is selling now in India for just under $10,000, a two passenger EV with a range of 140 miles.

New battery chemistries for electric vehicles are on their way thanks to government funding.

Last edited:
Solid state shows promise. However, the present Lithium - Ion technology is terrible.

L-I batteries are fine for hand held power tools like a hand held power drill or weed trimmer but sucks for vehicles.

I have no problem with electric vehicles if they work. What we have now is shitty technology.

My son has a Tesla. He will not get another EV for several reasons which I have articulated in other threads.

Nothing wrong with hybrids. The car manufactures should have never produced L-I vehicles and concentrated on hybrids. That was the next logical step for commuter vehicles.
Smaller EV transport is evolving nicely. During this winter, we'll be solar-recharging while the vehicle is in motion. The bulemics @ Cake-and-Eat-It-Too Ranch tried to accomplish everything in one fell swoop, ending up with a mess..

Smaller EV transport is evolving nicely. During this winter, we'll be solar-recharging while the vehicle is in motion. The bulemics @ Cake-and-Eat-It-Too Ranch tried to accomplish everything in one fell swoop, ending up with a mess..
A golf cart is about the biggest EV that is feasible with L-I and that is pushing it.

I guarantee you that your solar cell will not produce anywhere the power it will take to recharge a L-I battery while in use. Maybe 10% on a bright sunny day.

Everytime our lovely government does something to alter the market . there are consequences almost anyone can see, but them.......~S~
They know, exactly when to pull out, and let everyone else take the fall. Liberals never leave DC poorer than when they arrived. Not so for their constituents.

Food for thought.

Food for thought.

It is not surprising that there are more problems reported in EVs than gas models. There are 40 EVs on the US market of which nearly half have been introduced in last 3 years. EV like their gas counterpart have the most problems in first few years after introduction.

"This story is really one of growing pains," said Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at Consumer Reports. "It's a story of just working out the bugs and the kinks of new technology."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back