Foreign Travel Pre-GPS

lennypartiv

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2019
So who here ventured to a foreign country before GPS? Get lost much? Did you get frustrated with signs that were in a different format than American road signs?

452604_374dcc2c.jpg

So who here ventured to a foreign country before GPS? Get lost much? Did you get frustrated with signs that were in a different format than American road signs?

452604_374dcc2c.jpg
I did travel, but did not get lost. Of course most of that travel was in leadership positions and was done using military maps, that I was supposedly pretty good with and always with a compass.

452604_374dcc2c.jpg
I did and no. I still prefer maps when traveling though as opposed to GPS. I have a pretty good sense of direction so just as long as I know which direction to head and how far it is supposed to be, I can usually triangulate in on the place I want to go. The only place I still get turned around in sometimes in NYC and I used to live there. The walls of concrete and glass can sometimes throw you off because you cant readily see the sky or horizon from street level.

452604_374dcc2c.jpg
My second wife and I traveled through Greece in 1997. We used old-fashioned maps and travel guides to navigate our way accross the country. We rented a car as opposed to following the standard tourist script.

I have dirven in Europe quite a few times over the years, i usually plot my route with a map and write some key notes down on paper motorway junctions i need etc stick it on dashboard to look as and when, then if going to a town or City that;s when i activate the satnav to locate the AD in the town, i find it works quite well, just got back last month from driving in France got lost once or twice, one problem is when entering a village there are just too many signs.

french-road-signsle-gavre-loire-atlantique-2A91ED9.jpg

I did travel, but did not get lost. Of course most of that travel was in leadership positions and was done using military maps, that I was supposedly pretty good with and always with a compass.

I still use maps, of course I never leave the country. Never got to travel outside the nation. Always wanted to.

452604_374dcc2c.jpg

Traveled everywhere and never had a problem.

So, in other words, your sergeants navigated for you.

My second wife and I traveled through Greece in 1997. We used old-fashioned maps and travel guides to navigate our way accross the country. We rented a car as opposed to following the standard tourist script.

I love Greece. Especially the region around Delphi. Best pastitsio I've ever had!

I still use maps, of course I never leave the country. Never got to travel outside the nation. Always wanted to.
I use GPS a lot now, especially on vacation, though I always take a Rand McNally under the seat. I use maps more on rivers or back country. On roads, Garmin keeps me aware of hazards, quickest bypass routes, speed limits, fuel points, arrival times in route, not just for navigation anymore.

I use GPS a lot now, especially on vacation, though I always take a Rand McNally under the seat. I use maps more on rivers or back country. On roads, Garmin keeps me aware of hazards, quickest bypass routes, speed limits, fuel points, arrival times in route, not just for navigation anymore.

One time our navigator directed us to turn into a pasture, but we did use it sometimes. We never go anywhere we're not familiar with anymore. Not sure if it still works.

Forum List

Back