Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

I watched a video clip early this morning from the port authority starting from a couple minutes before the ship hit until just after the collapse. I zoomed in the second time I watched it and saw several vehicles sliding down into the river. I've crossed that bridge over a thousand times. The side railing is high and the angle of the cameras that monitor the bridge make it hard to see vehicles unless it's a semi.

In the clip below, you'll see the top half of semi's cross. What you can't see very well are private vehicles.

I don’t think so. The last moving cars were at 1:28 (two of them), and then traffic stopped. The cars that went into the water were stationary and likely the construction workers’ cars, sitting empty. That sadly does not mean the workers themselves survived, as they were probably out on the bridge itself.

There is a radio recording of a traffic officer reporting the ship coming toward the bridge perhaps a minute before it hit, telling someone to halt traffic. That’s why I think there were no moving cars at the time.

Unless you make the piers out of solid concrete and larger than the ships themselves (defeating the purpose of a bridge in the first place) you aren't making them large ship-proof.

Hell the ship probably weighed more fully loaded than the bridge did.
Yep, and kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared. No way to design a bridge to take this type of hit. The amout of force this bridge got hit by is enormous. Most likely the ship lost power. A ship that size has almost no control with out the screws turning. I run a 100 ton boat at times. I have a bridge right by its port. My worst nightmare is losing my screws at or near that bridge.

That’s a different Key Bridge….that one goes from Georgetown into Rosslyn.

But cute joke.
That’s the Key Bridge in the post I responded to. At first, by the thread title, I thought it was the Georgetown Key Bridge.
When you exit on the Georgetown side, you’re looking at The Exorcist stairs.

So if the boat hits one support the rest can hold the bridge, is that what you are telling us from your vast knowledge of bridge building 👷‍♀️.
Maybe....I don't know....Xiden was suppose to be giving 1 trillion dollars in build back better money to find out....where did the money go?

There's so much fraud these days that it's difficult to get at the truth.

Trans Secretary Pete Buttigieg Holds Emergency Press Conference To Announce He Is Taking 3 More Months Maternity Leave

WASHINGTON, D.C. In the morning after a tragic cargo ship accident and bridge collapse in Baltimore, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg called an emergency press conference to announce he is taking three more months of maternity leave.

"It has come to my attention that the twin babies I purchased at the baby store require more undivided attention," said Buttigieg. "I will be taking some much-needed time off to care for my children, and that is in no way related to the tragic bridge collapse that apparently happened somewhere. Right now, I need to be a mother to my children. Please respect my family's privacy during this time."
Buttigieg then refused to take questions before jumping into a waiting helicopter and flying out of sight.
This guy is a weirdo. Liberal love boat

The immediate decision to block traffic saved lives.
In the video you can see traffic a minute before the ship took down the bridge. No cars are seen when the ship hit.

Not a moment to spare
That part went really well. You can see in the video that about every 10-15 seconds a car did go by so some would have likely fallen in

Forum List

Back