Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

If have a strong response team in our nation, then we shouldn't be hindered long. The show has now started.
The ship channel should be cleared within thirty days of the crane barges arriving. Rebuilding the bridge will take years; if the environmentalists play their usual tricks. a decade or more.

The ship channel should be cleared within thirty days of the crane barges arriving. Rebuilding the bridge will take years; if the environmentalists play their usual tricks. a decade or more.
Actually no.
If Biden meant what he said that the WH will appoint an expediter to facilitate the new bridge there will be no delays.
The I-35 bridge showed that the WH can in-fact cut thru the red tape,

No, it needs laminar flow of water. That's all.

A vessel under tow still has steerage. Sailboats steer just fine under sail. You can take a power boat out of gear and still control it when it's "coasting". Even the lower unit of an outboard motor affords some steerage when the motor is taken out of gear as long as you are still moving.

The propwash can give you a little help kicking the stern around when you are stopped, but as soon as you have any headway, it's the laminar flow of water over the rudder that is doing the work.

Think of single-screw west-coast style fishing boats like trollers or seiners. They have big "barn door" rudders (needed to prevent broaching in heavy following seas). The prop wash only covers a small area of the rudder. If rudder authority was dependent on prop wash, the rudder would not be so large- it would just be extra drag.

The ship was going 7 kts when it lost power. If it had kept the hydraulics, it would have had steerage and also the bow thruster, and it could have avoided the bridge.
Notice I did not say that there is no effect without propulsion. I said it is minimal and it is.

If Trump gets in there, we won't have to worry about the double throated whooping cough birds nest being on a bridge pillar holding up a new bridge... That ain't happening. Let's hope it all changes in 2025.

Still haven't given the names of the pilots. A basic piece of the story.
What would that accomplish, other than putting their lives in danger by the dipshit brigade who believes it's false flag/terrorist attack/inside job/distraction for P. Diddy?

As I told Admiral what’s-His-Name, I am a mariner and a captain and my experience goes back forty years. I know from experience that rudder effect is minimal without propulsion.
There is an effect if moving by current, but it depends on how strong the current and the direction of the ship while in that current.

If you think a container ship can maintain the ability to steer and maneuver with dead engines, you're not nearly as knowledgeable as you think. Actually you sound like a clown.
As I have said, I have driven fucking aircraft carriers with no engines, based on momentum alone. The fact you don't understand that after several people have tried to explain it to you is indicative of an extremely low IQ. I don't really want to insult you, but the facts are clear! You are simply fucking stupid!

One of the fastest ways to stop a ship's momentum is to shift the rudder from hard left to right and back again, repeatedly. It acts like a brake when the rudder is off centerline because of the massive drag it puts on the ship!

Well, that’s my mistake for the minute. But it still serves to make my point that the Engineers could bridge the harbor very quickly. I never built a ribbon bridge, but the old M4T6 floating bridge had ten meter floats (if my memory is correct) that could be assembled in about a half hour by one twelve man squad. The ribbon bridge is much faster. The truck carrying the folded section backs up to the river, the driver pulls a lever that drops the bridge into the water and it unfolds by itself. A soldier then walks out and lifts the folded handrail into position and a boat pushes it into position while two more soldiers install the pins that connect it to the bridge. Total time is under ten minutes, most of which is the boat positioning the section.
Now do that for 1.6 miles, which still closes the harbor to ship traffic. Why would you want to do that?

Notice I did not say that there is no effect without propulsion. I said it is minimal and it is.
It depends entirely on the design. Planing and semi-planing hulls have small rudders designed for low drag, and the rudder is barely larger than the prop. That rudder doesn't have a lot of surface area and it doesn't give you much turning power at low speeds.

Sailboats with high-aspect fin and spade and small 2-blade props don't much care if the prop is spinning or not.

And there is everything in between. It's all about creating a high-pressure area on one side, and different boats do it differently based on their operational reqs.

Engine restart undoubtedly took place via the smoke coming from the stack, but was it in time to correct course ? It appears not if were the case. However, it could be something else, but the intense investigation will have to reveal it.

If politics get involved or they are involved, then we may never know the answers.

The emergency diesel generators also use that same stack for exhaust.

An alternative route can be established via large ferry vessels or even large landing craft vessels that are part of our beach landing ship's for military use (once a clearing is established by removal of a section of the damaged bridge). If we were at war and the bridge was taken out, then an alternate route would be established immediately. Maybe look for crossings where a pontoon bridge could be established at a closer land to land crossing. Just thinking in a war like senario I guess.
What beach landing ships? We use landing craft, air cushioned now. LSTs are long gone!

As I have said, I have driven fucking aircraft carriers with no engines, based on momentum alone. The fact you don't understand that after several people have tried to explain it to you is indicative of an extremely low IQ. I don't really want to insult you, but the facts are clear! You are simply fucking stupid!

One of the fastest ways to stop a ship's momentum is to shift the rudder from hard left to right and back again, repeatedly. It acts like a brake when the rudder is off centerline because of the massive drag it puts on the ship!
You’re lying.

Forum List

Back