Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

Still haven't given the names of the pilots. A basic piece of the story.
What would their names being public do? The investigation is ongoing and I'm sure there are things (like the crew's names) that don't need to be made public information. Not only that, but someone's name has no bearing on the outcome.

What would their names being public do? The investigation is ongoing and I'm sure there are things (like the crew's names) that don't need to be made public information. Not only that, but someone's name has no bearing on the outcome.
Basic reporting. Used to be commonplace.

Basic reporting. Used to be commonplace.
The investigation isn't complete yet, so there's no reason to release their names. When NTSB has their final report ready, they'll release it here:

Look at the right side and you'll find "Docket." Click that link. That's where they'll have the report.

Oh...then they faked the entire thing using a movie set in Pasadena.
Conspiracy theorists are like magicians: they expertly distract you from reality with their grand illusions. Meanwhile, the truth is backstage, rolling its eyes and wondering how it got roped into this show.

Yea, what would releasing the names accomplish? Who cares who was in control of the boat when it had a mechanical failure and hit a bridge? It would have happened to ANYONE at the helm.

Conspiracy theorists are like magicians: they expertly distract you from reality with their grand illusions. Meanwhile, the truth is backstage, rolling its eyes and wondering how it got roped into this show.
First time I saw the video clip, it was quite obvious to me that they had a power problem. Nothing else. My how this has gone forward.

Not talking about carrying cargo, but only transports carrying human and needed supplies for those that need to work and be supplied from an opened supply line. If an opening such as the main 400' wide opening can be cleared quickly, then the cargo transports can resume through that opening.

Land alternate routes should be assessed and established for those needing to travel from area to area if no longer have the bridge to accommodate them. Two separate things going on here.

Correct. No disagreement here.

Alternate land routes already exist. HAZMAT trucks will have to take the long way round.

This conversation started with the idea of a floating bridge which would have sealed the port from any traffic.

WW

The channel for the shipping lanes is 700' wide. I haven't heard of any plans for ferries. I seriously doubt anything like that will be used. We have 2 tunnels crossing the harbor in downtown Baltimore that most vehicles that used the bridge will divert to. Hazmat's will have to use the northern arc of I-695 to get to and from the port; they aren't allowed in the tunnels. This is how it was done before the bridge was built.
Sounds like a new or old game plan, so let's get to it. 👍

The name(s) might give possible implications if the background or history of these individuals and/or individual were to be specifically investigated by neutral parties, and were to be found to have failures in their backgrounds regarding this sort of thing. Sometimes corporations look to shield themselves from liability by trying to get investigators to conseal the information that may implicate their people in a serious situation, otherwise if former problems had existed and were covered up in the past.

We see it all the time right ???

I always called it blowboaters and stinkpotters, lol. I'm both. I don't really care, I never met a boat I didn't like.

I think there are a couple stinkpotters on this thread that think their boat is the only kind of boat ever built...

But I've always considered "sailboat racing" an oxymoron. I have a hard time calling 8 knots in anything "racing"... :D
Then you've never been on a sailboat in a race. It's far more intense than powerboat racing.

Well said!
It's not my responsibility to educate people who pose as being knowledgable on the topics being discussed. What am I supposed to do with an idiot who claims that waves don't begin to break at 12?

I only have patience for those who can admit that they can learn, and then I'll answer their questions.
As in many cases, your attitude doesn't help the cases you are trying to make.

The name(s) might give possible implications if the background or history of these individuals and/or individual were to be specifically investigated by neutral parties, and were to be found to have failures in their backgrounds regarding this sort of thing. Sometimes corporations look to shield themselves from liability by trying to get investigators to conseal the information that may implicate their people in a serious situation, otherwise if former problems had existed and were covered up in the past.

We see it all the time right ???
The two pilots that were navigating the ship are with the Port of Baltimore. They have well over a decade of experience each. They are the best of the best.

By state law, every ship that enters Maryland waters must have a state-licensed pilot at its helm, steering massive ships from the sea into port. That means that every vessel bound for Baltimore must be met by a pilot at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, where she or he takes command of the ship.
  • Pilots must serve a five-year apprenticeship before they become fully licensed. This is in addition to other training and education they must complete, including earning a bachelor’s degree from the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy or the other state maritime academies and experience on ships in other positions. Only a few of the hundreds of applicants for these apprenticeships are selected to participate in this five-year program.

The two pilots that were navigating the ship are with the Port of Baltimore. They have well over a decade of experience each. They are the best of the best.

By state law, every ship that enters Maryland waters must have a state-licensed pilot at its helm, steering massive ships from the sea into port. That means that every vessel bound for Baltimore must be met by a pilot at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, where she or he takes command of the ship.
  • Pilots must serve a five-year apprenticeship before they become fully licensed. This is in addition to other training and education they must complete, including earning a bachelor’s degree from the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy or the other state maritime academies and experience on ships in other positions. Only a few of the hundreds of applicants for these apprenticeships are selected to participate in this five-year program.
Pilot's, but what about Captain's ?

Now you are talking about ferries (multiple) capable of carrying over 30,000 vehicles a day. Not cars, vehicles meaning tractor trailers included.

Very different the sealing the harbor with a floating bridge across the harbor blocking ship traffic to the ports.

So how many ferries at what capacity? How many "runs" per day per ferry?

WW
No matter what temporary choice you make, it will move substantially less traffic than the original bridge.

Forum List

Back