Free Speech vs. Hate Speech

Persuader

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2020
Back in the fifties there was a big push for Free Speech at Berkeley.....their main concern being that they be able to cuss and swear.....and I agree in principle with that though I would restrict profane speech in public venues where children are present as in Walmart....i see profanity used there very often and in front of children.

Our forefathers understood the necessity and value of 'free speech' as in being most essential to a free republic.

Yet over time strange things have happened .....aka Liberals seeking to control our speech more and more via such methods as labelling some speech......hate speech.... and most especially speech that might go against the democratic party propaganda and deviant practices.

Though I would not approve harassing or attacking anyone personally .....using speech in a personal negative manner aka going up to them in a public venue and calling them names etc. but they should not be charged with using hate speech but something more like assault....loosely defined as dis-respecing someone in any manner and if they have children present then make it a felony.

Back in the fifties there was a big push for Free Speech at Berkeley.....their main concern being that they be able to cuss and swear.....and I agree in principle with that though I would restrict profane speech in public venues where children are present as in Walmart....i see profanity used there very often and in front of children.

Our forefathers understood the necessity and value of 'free speech' as in being most essential to a free republic.

Yet over time strange things have happened .....aka Liberals seeking to control our speech more and more via such methods as labelling some speech......hate speech.... and most especially speech that might go against the democratic party propaganda and deviant practices.

Though I would not approve harassing or attacking anyone personally .....using speech in a personal negative manner aka going up to them in a public venue and calling them names etc. but they should not be charged with using hate speech but something more like assault....loosely defined as dis-respecing someone in any manner and if they have children present then make it a felony;
Could you provide some examples, and not mere generalization? Links, sources.

I would restrict profane speech in public venues where children are present as in Walmart....i see profanity used there very often and in front of children.

Either you have Free Speech, or you don't. You can't restrict speech you don't like or you find offensive and claim to have "Free Speech." If it doesn't threaten the health and safety of others, everything is on deck.

Last edited:
Either you have Free Speech, or you don't. You can't restrict speech you don't like or you find offensive and claim to have "Free Speech." If it doesn't threaten the health and safety of others, everything on deck.

Free speech means leftists get to say anything they like.

The left used to be liberal. Now, it is almost the very antithesis of liberal.

That is why I never use the term liberal to describe the authoritarian identity politics being played here on a daily basis.

Nor are Progressives very "progressive." They can't seem to grow beyond the "Tax and Spend" stage. Authoritarian "liberals" and Progressives would like nothing more than to legislate politeness for others, yet they're the most ill-mannered and rudest people on this planet.

Either you have Free Speech, or you don't. You can't restrict speech you don't like or you find offensive and claim to have "Free Speech." If it doesn't threaten the health and safety of others, everything is on deck.
And now Cancel Culture has consumed both ends of our political spectrum. Say the wrong thing, and we come after you.

This is a sociological problem. Too many of us just can't handle hearing things we don't like.

9ccIZvp.gif

You morons don’t fucking get it…

Freedom of speech only refers to government limits on speech.

Start there

And now Cancel Culture has consumed both ends of our political spectrum. Say the wrong thing, and we come after you.

This is a sociological problem. Too many of us just can't handle hearing things we don't like.

9ccIZvp.gif

Cool meme. Looks like you are finally grasping reality.

There is no law against hate speech. Free people have the right to hate whatever they want and talk about it. Democrats call anything they don't agree with hate speech. They need some instruction on the first amendment.

Who defines what is "hate speech?" How do you determine when something is considered "hate speech?"

I completely disagree with the concept of hate speech -- free speech is often offensive to some, and that is a beautiful thing. All hate speech leads to is subjective rules with punitive measures, and will most likely target specific groups of individuals such as whites -- just like the Houston congressman, Sheila Jackson sponsored.

There is no law against hate speech. Free people have the right to hate whatever they want and talk about it. Democrats call anything they don't agree with hate speech. They need some instruction on the first amendment.
And in doing so they are expressing THEIR free speech rights

No?

Forum List

Back