Freedom of Religion? Christian Artists Face Jail Time For Not Making Same-Sex Wedding Invitations

Google this.....only on far right sites, doesn't list the ordinance (people don't get arrested for ordinances, btw, only fined) and some sources state that it is THEM who is suing the state.....not the other way around.
Jail time or financial penalties / fines - shouldn't happen as religious freedom and the freedom to exercise that religion is Constitutionally protected.

What it boils down to is that the gays simply must shove their depraved lifestyle down everyone's throats. They seek an acceptance which they will never obtain freely therefore they must resort to the Liberal courts to force it upon society.

I somewhat agree, but it doesn't have to be about homosexuality. Again, if it involved bestiality, should such become legally acceptable in the future and Christians refused to enable such behavior - despite it being legal - they should not be forced by a government to do so.

It's about religious freedom.
Deflection noted. Perhaps you might consider that in a same sex marriage, the old rules of two consenting adults is honored. Only those lacking intellectual curiousity would suggest something as far afield as bestiality to be comparable.

Eerily reminiscent of all other repressed groups in this nation's history. That's why that big statue of Justice wears a blindfold. Society's hatred, fears and predjudices get checked at the door to the courthouse.
It USED to wear a blindfold...that hasn't been for quite a while as Justice in this nation has been corrupted - the blindfold has been replaced with 'liberal-colored' glasses.

Eerily reminiscent of all other repressed groups in this nation's history. That's why that big statue of Justice wears a blindfold. Society's hatred, fears and predjudices get checked at the door to the courthouse.
It USED to wear a blindfold...that hasn't been for quite a while as Justice in this nation has been corrupted - the blindfold has been replaced with 'liberal-colored' glasses.
Spoken like someone who would be comfortable with Jim Crow laws.

Deflection noted. Perhaps you might consider that in a same sex marriage, the old rules of two consenting adults is honored. Only those lacking intellectual curiousity would suggest something as far afield as bestiality to be comparable.
So you are saying that the Bible supports same-sex-marriage? of course you are not because THAT IS NOT TRUE.

What it boils down to is that the gays simply must shove their depraved lifestyle down everyone's throats. They seek an acceptance which they will never obtain freely therefore they must resort to the Liberal courts to force it upon society.

I somewhat agree, but it doesn't have to be about homosexuality. Again, if it involved bestiality, should such become legally acceptable in the future and Christians refused to enable such behavior - despite it being legal - they should not be forced by a government to do so.

Indeed. The federal government should stay out of it since they are actually violating the Constitution by interfering with the free exercise of religion.

Whatever lie makes you feel good, man....

Google this.....only on far right sites, doesn't list the ordinance (people don't get arrested for ordinances, btw, only fined) and some sources state that it is THEM who is suing the state.....not the other way around.
Jail time or financial penalties / fines - shouldn't happen as religious freedom and the freedom to exercise that religion is Constitutionally protected.
Am I the only one who actually googled this?

Whatever lie makes you feel good, man....
It's not about me and feeling good. It's about justice.

I thought they were running a business, open to the public, in Phoenix.
Wherever, but doing so does not mean they must forfeit their Constitutionally protected rights.

The City of Phoenix, or any other city, or state, has the right to protect it citizens from unconstitutional discrimination by religious zealots pretending to hide behind the same constitution.

"The City of Phoenix, or any other city or State, has the right to protect its citizens by nullifying 4th amendment search rights, and speedy trial rights.."

Why not go with that Statement as well?

If you're in business, refusing to do business with someone based on their sexual orientation is not a protected constitutional right. (And at least in certain areas, that type of discrimination is illegal.)

I want my wedding invitations sporting two gays dressed in white KKK robes, sporting Nazi Tatoos and breasts. According to the liberal you must comply.

NO. I said the basic tenets of my faith are the Golden Rule and to not judge lest I be judged. I further believe that those are the basic tenets of all Christianity. Do you know of any true Christians who eschew the Golden Rule? Any Christians out there who believe that fear and hatred should underpin their faith? Any Christians who would argue that God is not love?

If so, I suggest you are dealing with another faith, not Christianity.
You continue to suggest that the bible teaching Christians should not encourage, enable, and/or facilitate sin is somehow teaching hate. You and I seriously disagree...and again, thank God the Constitution protects all person's freedom of religion and how they exercise their own personal freedom of religion.

If you're in business, refusing to do business with someone based on their sexual orientation is not a protected constitutional right. (And at least in certain areas, that type of discrimination is illegal.)
It is not their sexual orientation but the practice of homosexuality, which is a sin, as per the bible.

The government placed a health warning on packs of smokes to warn people of the hazards of smoking. Since the medical field and the insurance underwriters have revised the life expectancy of gay men downward, should not the government require gay males to wear signs indicating that engaging in sex with them is hazardous to one's health as well?

So you are saying that the Bible supports same-sex-marriage? of course you are not because THAT IS NOT TRUE.
All the religions on this planet ar freely prescribes in this nation. Christians do not hold a monopoly. It's not even required to be married by a clergyman, priest, rabbi or imam. You can be married by an Elvis impersonator.

If some so-called Christian churches want to ban same sex couples from their ceremonies and rituals, fine. Marriage is a legal contract. Marriages may be sanctified in a church. But it is not required.

The state provides the license, the church sanctifies the marriage if the couple wishes.

That extends to goods and services. A merchant does no trust apply a merchantile impermatur to the couple. They merely provide the goods and services they are open to the public to provide.

The idea that artists should be compelled to create art with a preselected political message is odious. It's what Castro did, Il Duce had artists put his portrait all over Italy. Every totalitarian despot compels artists to create political art whether or not they agree.

Aside from freedom of religion, if that did not exist, artists have their own artistic freedom.

NO. I said the basic tenets of my faith are the Golden Rule and to not judge lest I be judged. I further believe that those are the basic tenets of all Christianity. Do you know of any true Christians who eschew the Golden Rule? Any Christians out there who believe that fear and hatred should underpin their faith? Any Christians who would argue that God is not love?

If so, I suggest you are dealing with another faith, not Christianity.
You continue to suggest that the bible teaching Christians should not encourage, enable, and/or facilitate sin is somehow teaching hate. You and I seriously disagree...and again, thank God the Constitution protects all person's freedom of religion and how they exercise their own personal freedom of religion.
Your freedom of religion does not provide for legal COVER to break other laws.

Actually, both are forms of moral depravity as well as being a health issue where the consenting adults are male homosexuals.

All the religions on this planet ar freely prescribes in this nation. Christians do not hold a monopoly. It's not even required to be married by a clergyman, priest, rabbi or imam. You can be married by an Elvis impersonator. ......
...and that has no impact on the fact that the Constitution protects the right of freedom of religion and the exercise thereof....

Your freedom of religion does not provide for legal COVER to break other laws.
Laws are required to be Constitutional. The Constitution states that we have the freedom of religion and the EXERCISE THEREOF....

I thought they were running a business, open to the public, in Phoenix.
Wherever, but doing so does not mean they must forfeit their Constitutionally protected rights.

The City of Phoenix, or any other city, or state, has the right to protect it citizens from unconstitutional discrimination by religious zealots pretending to hide behind the same constitution.

"The City of Phoenix, or any other city or State, has the right to protect its citizens by nullifying 4th amendment search rights, and speedy trial rights.."

Why not go with that Statement as well?

States and localities don't get to decide what is a constitutionally protected right or not (unless it is a right listed in the State's constitution, and even then it's subject to the federal constitution).

Just like NYC should not be able to infringe on my right to own a handgun without going through 3-6 months of hoops.

Forum List

Back