Freedom of speech? Not for our police officers

A police officer eventually lost his job because he said "I'm surprised that nobody offed him yet" in reference to Calypso Louie on Facebook. He never said he'd like to.....or that somebody should.......just the he was surprised nobody hasn't.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a First Amendment violation lawsuit?

Akron police officer relieved of duty after Facebook post about Farrakhan

While I will have to agree that this could

be interpreted as a threat……………….

Just look at what the left has said and called

for in regards to trump…..

From plays about killing him to actors calling for it……

The double standard is apparent………..

A police officer eventually lost his job because he said "I'm surprised that nobody offed him yet" in reference to Calypso Louie on Facebook. He never said he'd like to.....or that somebody should.......just the he was surprised nobody hasn't.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a First Amendment violation lawsuit?

Police officers are held to a higher standard than entertainers

If you want to exercise your rights, you are free to do so on your own time. In this case, what's being said here is that this officer is never allowed to exercise his rights on the job or off. So there is a big difference there.

I have the right as an American citizen to vote. I cannot stop at the polling place on company time and vote. I can vote before I go to work or after, therefore the company is not interfering in my right to vote, just not on their time.

what you do not have the right to is a job, so if the people paying you have the right to fire you if they do not like the way you exercised your rights.

This has nothing to do with rights to have a job. It has to do with rights to free speech.
But his free speech was not violated. The first amendment guarantee for free speech is that no LAW shall infringe it. And even that’s not without limits (threats, incitement to riot, perjury, plagiarism slander, fraud).

The officer was not imprisoned or arrested. No violation of his free speech rights. He was fired, which is the right his employer, even if the employer is the government.

Again: the right to free speech is the right not to be fined, arrested, imprisoned, or otherwise found in violaion of the law. It is not a guarantee that you can’t be fired, or denied a platform for your speech

Police officers are held to a higher standard than entertainers

I will give you that...

If you read racism no matter what somebody says, of course you think people spew racism every day. I could print Mary Had a Little Lamb, and the way your mind works, you would find racism in the poem.

You compare blacks to feral animals and applaud the murder of their children... the only thing you don't have is the balls to show up in a white sheet.

He was suspended several months ago and now our local Fox affiliate claims he was recently fired for the comment. So that begs the questions: if this officer made a similar comment about a white radical, would he still be on the job today? Does this officer have a case for a Fourth Amendment violation lawsuit?

Nope.

We are all held accountable for what we say on social media under our own names... It's why we all use aliases here.

Isn't a first amendment issue.

Of course it isn't a First Amendment issue. No one has a right to a government job, and everyone risks to get fired if public statements contradict the employer's policies, particularly in realms scrambling to appear equitable and race-blind, such as law enforcement. However, being white and all, there is always a victim card to be had for those made to face consequences for their stupidity. That's just an entitlement of long standing.

Imagine a black police officer publicly wondering why "nobody offed him yet" - with respect to Trump. The good Ray would still insist on First Amendment protections. Sure he would.

Suggesting a citizen be assassinated

To be a little more precise, he suggested there would be good grounds for a citizen to be assassinated. That's the only explanation why he had to wonder why no one pulled an MLK on him.

You have to be monumentally stupid, or feign being that, not to understand precisely what was suggested there.

Last edited:

To be a little more precise, he suggested there would be good grounds for a citizen to be assassinated. That's the only explanation why he had to wonder why no one pull an MLK on him.

You have to be monumentally stupid, or feign being that, not to understand precisely what was suggested there.

He expressed an observation of a public hate monger.

If you read racism no matter what somebody says, of course you think people spew racism every day. I could print Mary Had a Little Lamb, and the way your mind works, you would find racism in the poem.

You compare blacks to feral animals and applaud the murder of their children... the only thing you don't have is the balls to show up in a white sheet.

Says a guy who supports a party that now kills black children even after they are born.

If you want to exercise your rights, you are free to do so on your own time. In this case, what's being said here is that this officer is never allowed to exercise his rights on the job or off. So there is a big difference there.

I have the right as an American citizen to vote. I cannot stop at the polling place on company time and vote. I can vote before I go to work or after, therefore the company is not interfering in my right to vote, just not on their time.

what you do not have the right to is a job, so if the people paying you have the right to fire you if they do not like the way you exercised your rights.

This has nothing to do with rights to have a job. It has to do with rights to free speech.
But his free speech was not violated. The first amendment guarantee for free speech is that no LAW shall infringe it. And even that’s not without limits (threats, incitement to riot, perjury, plagiarism slander, fraud).

The officer was not imprisoned or arrested. No violation of his free speech rights. He was fired, which is the right his employer, even if the employer is the government.

Again: the right to free speech is the right not to be fined, arrested, imprisoned, or otherwise found in violaion of the law. It is not a guarantee that you can’t be fired, or denied a platform for your speech

Okay, so what if all government workers were not allowed to vote? If they are found voting, they lose their job. Would you be okay with that?

He still has his freedom of speech, he can say whatever wants.

He did, and he got fired for it. I hardly call that freedom of speech.

Can he say whatever he wants now?

Sure he can. The government retaliated against him for exercising his rights. They can't do anything more to him.

What makes you think that Police Officers were ever able to say any shit they think?

Everyone is accountable for what they say

What does he have to be accountable for?

Comprehension problems or something Winger? Nowhere did he suggest anything.

Afraid he did
Hypothetical is still suggesting it

There was nothing hypothetical about it. Apparently you don't know what that even means.

And the Federal government (which is what the Constitution is about) had nothing to do with it

You mean like the federal government has nothing to do with schools, yet a local school funded by local taxpayers are forbidden from even mentioning the word God?

Sure he can. The government retaliated against him for exercising his rights. They can't do anything more to him.

He choose to violate the departments code of conduct that he agreed to when he accepted a paycheck from them.

When the government is your employer the government has all the rights of any other employer.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

And the Federal government (which is what the Constitution is about) had nothing to do with it

You mean like the federal government has nothing to do with schools, yet a local school funded by local taxpayers are forbidden from even mentioning the word God?

Why do you lie?

To be a little more precise, he suggested there would be good grounds for a citizen to be assassinated. That's the only explanation why he had to wonder why no one pull an MLK on him.

He expressed an observation of a public hate monger.
And he was fired for it

Why do you lie?

What am I lying about?

He choose to violate the departments code of conduct that he agreed to when he accepted a paycheck from them.

When the government is your employer the government has all the rights of any other employer.

My employer doesn't have the right to tell me what I can or cannot do on my free time, especially when it comes to exercising my constitutional rights.

Why do you lie?

What am I lying about?

"are forbidden from even mentioning the word God?"

Forum List

Back