Future Generations

How Much Do You Care About Future Generations?

• Very Much

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Much

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Some

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Very Little

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
How much are you concerned with future generations? Do you think we are doing a good job in the US or is this no longer necessary?

i'd like to see young Americans of future generation have things as good as i had things Bonzi .

How much are you concerned with future generations? Do you think we are doing a good job in the US or is this no longer necessary?
--------------------------------------- i see the USA going third world as far as 'rule of law' is concerned . I also don't like the USA kissing foreign azz as the USA loses its sovereigny and self respect Bonzi .

I think we're doing a terrible job of governance, we're leaving them a host of very serious problems and a gargantuan debt that will limit somewhat their ability to deal with those problems. And we are also not providing them the blueprint for how to deal with those problems either.

--------------------------------------- i see the USA going third world as far as 'rule of law' is concerned . I also don't like the USA kissing foreign azz as the USA loses its sovereigny and self respect Bonzi .
Do you think the US citizens focusing more on building and working (sacrificing) for future generations will help? Is our selfishness hurting our future?

I think we're doing a terrible job of governance, we're leaving them a host of very serious problems and a gargantuan debt that will limit somewhat their ability to deal with those problems. And we are also not providing them the blueprint for how to deal with those problems either.
Why do you think we have stopped caring or sacrificing for our future families?

I grew up in the '50s and '60s, making me a Boomer.

We had (and still have) the best of everything. It's almost as if the whole purpose of the human experiment was to make sure that the Boomer Generation was well taken care of.

Growing up, we didn't give much thought to getting a job, having a career, getting married and having a family, and buying a house; we just knew it would happen. And we knew we'd have it better than our parents.

It seems that every generation since has had worse than we had.

I feel bad for the youngsters. They're pretty much screwed.

Why do you think we have stopped caring or sacrificing for our future families?

As individuals and families I don't think we stopped caring for or sacrificing for our future families, but our political leadership is too consumed with NOW to be concerned about the future and we're letting them get away with it. It's easier and safer for our pols to kick that can down the road than it is to make the tough decisions and actions that could be politically painful. IOW, they don't have the balls.

We had (and still have) the best of everything. It's almost as if the whole purpose of the human experiment was to make sure that the Boomer Generation was well taken care of.

Growing up, we didn't give much thought to getting a job, having a career, getting married and having a family, and buying a house; we just knew it would happen. And we knew we'd have it better than our parents.

Financially they seem to have it fi
Don't care.
I don't have kids and I really don't care about other peoples' kids
How about the human race?

How about it?

Look we are going to go extinct one day. it is inevitable barring the discovery of faster than light travel that is.
I have kids but am conflicted on the issue. They are both going to be well taken care of via their jobs, but there seems to be such a general feeling in the world that we are near the end or past the pinnacle

My husband had an interesting take related to this. In the boomer years, most women were not working so the job market was more open....when women started working, they took many jobs and, households had more income so, guess what? Higher prices for homes etc.

Expectations and requirements are hard. I could have never made it in this generations world.

My husband had an interesting take related to this. In the boomer years, most women were not working so the job market was more open....when women started working, they took many jobs and, households had more income so, guess what? Higher prices for homes etc.

Expectations and requirements are hard. I could have never made it in this generations world.

Yep... consider these prices.
HOME PRICING...actual value and in parenthesis (what that is in today's dollar)
In 1940, the average home price was just under $3,000. ($30,600)
By 1960 it was $12,000 ($58,600)
By 1980 it was $48,000. ($93,400)
By 2000 it was $119,600
Today it is just under $200,000!

This is insane. Add to this chart, car prices, healthcare insurance cost....etc. etc.
At 52 years old, coming to age in the 1980's, we dealt with this by turning debt into income.
My generation was the first generation that owed far more than they were worth, and spent more than we made.
What is this generation going to do to deal with ever rising cost of basic necessities and then add in disappearing employment benefits such as the near extinct pension plans, evaporating employer sponsored health plans - and this generation is becoming virtual slaves to the system.

i'd like to see young Americans of future generation have things as good as i had things Bonzi .
Do you think they will?
-------------------------------- I do not think so , I see big differences in what I had and what the youngers have Bonzi . Good job and cash flow was pretty easy for me after I got serious and went to work plus I had personal freedom at a very early age . Plus there were far fewer laws , restrictions , people minded their own business and Americans pretty much thought the same things .

Automation is going to gradually render a large number of normal jobs a thing of the past. Not just this society but all societies are going to have to come to grips with some kind of guaranteed yearly wage for every adult. Otherwise unemployment is going to cause the collapse of modern civilization when tens of millions can't feed themselves. The hard numbers cannot be brushed away or dismissed. Something is going to have to change on a societal level.

---------------------------------------------- agree MrClean , but seems to me that my parents , both born poor but well fed and healthy in the 20s had it good as they both survived ww2 and Korea . All they had to do was get a job in my Dads case and get married in Moms case and Women having kids [optional] but everyone had kids . Mine for example had 5 kids and my Uncle had 11 . Anyway , everything was wide open in the USA , fewer laws , restrictions and better more homogenous population but fewer people or population density . Fewer laws Example , if you wanted to build a house on your land and if you had or could get the money , well just build that house and its no one elses business . And funny , but no one like an inspector [that didn't exist] or cop would dare enter your Private property uninvited to see what you were doing . It was also good for me born in 1949 but things started changing in the mid 60s when i saw more laws that were no ones business but my business started to be made MrClean .

Automation is going to gradually render a large number of normal jobs a thing of the past. Not just this society but all societies are going to have to come to grips with some kind of guaranteed yearly wage for every adult. Otherwise unemployment is going to cause the collapse of modern civilization when tens of millions can't feed themselves. The hard numbers cannot be brushed away or dismissed. Something is going to have to change on a societal level.

In an interview a couple years ago with China's top economic planner, when asked what is the greatest challenge to not just China, but the world. His answer was not what anyone expected - (paraphrase) "Solving the problem of excess/uneeded population".
For the sake of argument, lets say that 20 years ago it took 350 people to provide the products and services to support every 1000 people. Today that number may be 275, 5 years from now 225 etc. etc.
This is an enormous problem that no one is talking about.
Automation is already taking jobs, has been for 30 years. Mergers and acquisitions take at least as many as automation. Outsourcing labor to the cheapest anyone can find takes more.

But more than anything else - the continental shift that began in the late 1970's and really forced it's ugly head into the economic matrix in the 80's - was when the shift of attention for businesses went from the consumer, to the shareholder.
This changed everything. On numerous levels. And the general effect of this shift was it made the rich much richer, and diminishing opportunity and less total compensation for everyone else. It is called corporatism. Every single American, liberal or conservative is greatly affected by it - and no one is even talking about it.
We're too busy arguing over statues and any other divisive, meaningless issues.

In an interview a couple years ago with China's top economic planner, when asked what is the greatest challenge to not just China, but the world. His answer was not what anyone expected - (paraphrase) "Solving the problem of excess/uneeded population".
For the sake of argument, lets say that 20 years ago it took 350 people to provide the products and services to support every 1000 people. Today that number may be 275, 5 years from now 225 etc. etc.
This is an enormous problem that no one is talking about.
Automation is already taking jobs, has been for 30 years. Mergers and acquisitions take at least as many as automation. Outsourcing labor to the cheapest anyone can find takes more.

But more than anything else - the continental shift that began in the late 1970's and really forced it's ugly head into the economic matrix in the 80's - was when the shift of attention for businesses went from the consumer, to the shareholder.
This changed everything. On numerous levels. And the general effect of this shift was it made the rich much richer, and diminishing opportunity and less total compensation for everyone else. It is called corporatism. Every single American, liberal or conservative is greatly affected by it - and no one is even talking about it.
We're too busy arguing over statues and any other divisive, meaningless issues.

It is one of those things that is being ignored but will show up at the door like a rabid wolf in due time. Just as the shortage of fresh water around the world is becoming a pressing concern.

Do people think these things are just going to go away? Or get worse.

Forum List

Back