General energy news

California Has Now Mandated (Some) Energy Storage

After two and half years of debate, the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has finalized a decision that the state’s investor-owned utilities must begin buying a combined 200 megawatts of energy storage technology by 2014 and reaching 1.3 gigawatts (1,325 megawatts) by the end of 2020.

All 5 CPUC Commissioners approved the landmark decision. In her introductory comments, Commissioner Carla Peterman stated, “I believe energy storage has great potential to help us address grid reliability and renewables integration issues. This decision is an important and appropriate step, especially considering the leadership role California has and continues to play in advancing progressive energy policy.”

PG&E, SCE and SDG&E will soon be directed to file a procurement application on or before March 1, 2014 that would contain a proposal for the first energy storage procurement cycle, including the first competitive solicitation.

Read more at California Has Now Mandated (Some) Energy Storage

The true costs of trying to integrate larger percentages of sketchy power onto the the grid are gonna astound and amaze the public. See the thread on "Renewables now more expensive in Cali" Literally Calis are looking at BILLIONS for building football field size storage barns all over the state.. Think these costsmare gonna be properly added to the renewable costs of operation? NAWWW.......

Go look at that thread and see what 500Mill dollar battery srorage facility looks like.. What an enviro nightmare that is gonna be....

California Has Now Mandated (Some) Energy Storage

After two and half years of debate, the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has finalized a decision that the state’s investor-owned utilities must begin buying a combined 200 megawatts of energy storage technology by 2014 and reaching 1.3 gigawatts (1,325 megawatts) by the end of 2020.

All 5 CPUC Commissioners approved the landmark decision. In her introductory comments, Commissioner Carla Peterman stated, “I believe energy storage has great potential to help us address grid reliability and renewables integration issues. This decision is an important and appropriate step, especially considering the leadership role California has and continues to play in advancing progressive energy policy.”

PG&E, SCE and SDG&E will soon be directed to file a procurement application on or before March 1, 2014 that would contain a proposal for the first energy storage procurement cycle, including the first competitive solicitation.

Read more at California Has Now Mandated (Some) Energy Storage

The true costs of trying to integrate larger percentages of sketchy power onto the the grid are gonna astound and amaze the public. See the thread on "Renewables now more expensive in Cali" Literally Calis are looking at BILLIONS for building football field size storage barns all over the state.. Think these costsmare gonna be properly added to the renewable costs of operation? NAWWW.......

Go look at that thread and see what 500Mill dollar battery srorage facility looks like.. What an enviro nightmare that is gonna be....

I suspect that we'll end up solving this problem with smart metering. High prices for zero flexibility and bargain prices when low cost power is available. No new technology.

Last edited:
Juwi to construct 86 MW solar PV plant in South Africa

Sonnedix BV (Amsterdam) has chosen Juwi AG (Wörrstadt, Germany) to provide engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services for an 86 MW solar photovoltaic (PV) plant in South Africa's Northern Cape province.

The Mulilo Sonnedix Prieska will be larger than any PV plant currently on line in the African continent, and was awarded through the third round of the South Africa's Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programme (REIPPP). Financial close on the project is targeted for July 2014, with commissioning planned for the second half of 2015.

“We are happy to be working with Juwi, one of the world’s most experienced EPC providers in the field of renewable energies to build our solar park,” states Sonnedix Solar President Franck Constant. “We feel confident that our project construction shall be in very good hands.”

KW48*|*Juwi to construct 86 MW solar PV plant in South Africa*-*SolarServer

It's good to see the black man investing in his country ;)

Here's the current largest solar farm in Africa.

Scatec Solar commissions Africa's largest solar plant, the 75 MW Kalkbult solar PV plant

http://www.solarserver.com/solar-ma...-plant-the-75-mw-kalkbult-solar-pv-plant.html
On September 13th, 2013 Scatec Solar AS (Oslo, Norway) connected a 75 MW solar photovoltaic (PV) plant in South Africa's Northern Cape region to the grid, as the first PV project to be completed under the nation's Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programme (REIPPP).

Construction on the Kalkbult PV plant began immediately after financial close in November 2012. The Kalkbult plant is also the largest solar plant in operation on the African continent, and five times larger than the next-largest PV plant in Mauritania.

“I am very proud of our staff and contractors who have been able to complete this substantial project three months ahead of schedule, demonstrating how swiftly utility-scale solar energy plants could be built and put in operation,” said Scatec Solar CEO Raymond Carlsen.

“South African authorities are committed to implementing an ambitious renewable energy program, and we find great satisfaction in being able to contribute to its success through our own projects which we have actively been developing in South Africa over the last four years.”

Enel to build 314 MW of solar PV projects in South Africa

South Africa's Department of Energy (DoE) has awarded Enel Green Power SpA (Rome) four solar photovoltaic (PV) projects totaling 314 MW through the third round of the nation's Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programme (REIPPP), as well as 199 MW of wind projects.

This represents 70% of the 450 MW of PV projects awarded in the third round, however DoE has stated that it may award additional PV projects to bidders. Per the rules of the REIPP, Enel is partnering with South African organizations that hold a 60% stake in the projects.

http://www.solarserver.com/solar-ma...-mw-of-solar-pv-projects-in-south-africa.html

Ethiopia plans 300MW of solar

http://www.rechargenews.com/solar/europe_africa/article1345203.ece
Updated: Friday, November 29 2013

US headquartered Global Trade and Development Consulting and project development partner Energy Ventures have been awarded a contract by the Ethiopian Ministry of Energy and state utility EEPCO to build a trio of 100MW solar farms in the eastern region of the country.

A feasibility study completed earlier this year has received both technical and financial approval from the government.

No date for groundbreaking on the projects was given.

“This project represents a significant advance in our Ethiopian energy initiative and is now part of our comprehensive Energy Plan," says energy minister Alemayehu Tegenu.

Last edited:
China became the world's largest solar PV market in Q3; nation is poised to additional multi-GW deployment

Solar Report*|*China became the world's largest solar PV market in Q3; nation is poised to additional multi-GW deployment*-*SolarServer
In October 2013 NPD Solarbuzz Inc. (Santa Clara, California, U.S.) published a new analysis which estimates that China represented 25% of the 9 GW of solar photovoltaic (PV) demand in the third quarter of 2013.

“The emergence of China in driving PV demand is impacting both global end-market figures and is also having a profound impact on the financial health of the remaining domestic suppliers,” Solarbuzz Senior Analyst Michael Barker comments. Solarbuzz estimates that China's share of global demand will more than double in 2013 as compared to 2011, when it was 10%.

Plans for 12 GW of new solar PV in 2014

In November 2013 China's Bureau of Energy has released a draft plan for 12 GW of solar photovoltaic (PV) deployment in 2014, according to NPD Solarbuzz. This includes 8 GW of distributed generation. Jiangsu will be the leading province, with 1.3 GW of PV in its pipeline, followed by Shandong Province at 1.2 GW and Zhejiang Province at 1.1 GW. These plans show a shift in emphasis towards rooftop PV and to densely populated Eastern China from the far Western regions.

12gw in one fucking year. America has around 8 gw as of 2012 in total!

Last edited:
Global Renewable Energy Charts & Facts

Here’s an estimate of renewable energy’s share of electricity production at the end of 2012:

renewable-energy-split-2012.png

Non-hydro renewable being at 5.2% can be seen in a positive or a negative way. It’s much higher than it was just a few years ago, but it’s still a relatively small percentage. However you look at it, though, definitely realize that it is growing fast and will for years to come. We’re just getting started!

Here’s an even closer look at global renewable energy capacity, showing the totals by country at the end of the past 3 years:

renewable-energy-facts.png

Here’s a look at the world’s non-hydro renewable energy capacity leaders (again, in terms of total not relative capacity):

renewable-energy-capacity-leaders-2012.png

18 Renewable Energy Charts, Fun Renewable Energy Facts

China became the world's largest solar PV market in Q3; nation is poised to additional multi-GW deployment

Solar Report*|*China became the world's largest solar PV market in Q3; nation is poised to additional multi-GW deployment*-*SolarServer
In October 2013 NPD Solarbuzz Inc. (Santa Clara, California, U.S.) published a new analysis which estimates that China represented 25% of the 9 GW of solar photovoltaic (PV) demand in the third quarter of 2013.

“The emergence of China in driving PV demand is impacting both global end-market figures and is also having a profound impact on the financial health of the remaining domestic suppliers,” Solarbuzz Senior Analyst Michael Barker comments. Solarbuzz estimates that China's share of global demand will more than double in 2013 as compared to 2011, when it was 10%.

In November 2013 China's Bureau of Energy has released a draft plan for 12 GW of solar photovoltaic (PV) deployment in 2014, according to NPD Solarbuzz. This includes 8 GW of distributed generation. Jiangsu will be the leading province, with 1.3 GW of PV in its pipeline, followed by Shandong Province at 1.2 GW and Zhejiang Province at 1.1 GW. These plans show a shift in emphasis towards rooftop PV and to densely populated Eastern China from the far Western regions.

As I explained before -- that 8GW USA total DELIVERS under 2GW of average power.. ((That's GENEROUS and it's probably much closer to 1.5 GW))

If it was all about marketing hype --- we'd have to include LIGHTNING on the list of Renewables. Because it's installed RATINGS would be fantastic..

Last edited:

As I explained before -- that 8GW USA total DELIVERS under 2GW of average power.. ((That's GENEROUS and it's probably much closer to 1.5 GW))

If it was all about marketing hype --- we'd have to include LIGHTNING on the list of Renewables. Because it's installed RATINGS would be fantastic..

8GW is just that. What the average is, is of little concern. You use whatever the full output is when it's available. It's not using fuel or making waste. If there are times when demand can be met without all sources you back off on the fuel users and waste producers. Or you incentivize demand to match supply.

Start thinking outside your little box.

The reality of china is coal is killing their people as it is shorting life spans by over 5 years. Cancer rates have want through the roof. They can't build more hydro as portions of their rivers are so low at times that it simply doesn't work...

So they're turning to wind, solar and solar water heaters(80% of all are in China) to power their country. This doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

This is the only way they see to improve life in China.

Last edited:
The reality of china is coal is killing their people as it is shorting life spans by over 5 years. Cancer rates have want through the roof.

Good enough for miners in Pennsylvania and West Virginia which made YOUR lifestyle possible, if that is the way the Chinese wish to proceed, your opinion on the topic is probably irrelevant. Unless you plan on relocating?

Matthew said:
So they're turning to wind, solar and solar water heaters(80% of all are in China) to power their country. This doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

This is the only way they see to improve life in China.

And full development of their unconventional shale oil and gas resources, if the last conference I was at where the Chinese were advocating exactly that, is any indication.

I have my doubt we could save our selves from a asteroid. Truly we can't do it over many decades against global warming.

Already have. Have profited from it quite handsomely, as a species. Without global warming we wouldn't have Canada, and without Canada, we wouldn't have Pamela Lee Anderson. Or any other Canadian.

Advocating fascism as a solution to how people generate their power doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Not burning dirty fuels is fascism????

No. Forcing people to do what you want without regard to what they want is.

Nobody is forced to live here. The world is pretty much an open market in terms of where you live.

If being an American is too responsible a position for you, bail out. Go where people don't care about the future.

Not burning dirty fuels is fascism????

Nobody is forced to live here. The world is pretty much an open market in terms of where you live.

Sure..which is why the WORLD is trying to force CO2 emissions as an issue, because they can thereafter regulate people, people being massive CO2 emitters. Our very exhalation is being labeled a pollutant!

Tricky little game they are putting into motion, don't you think?

PMZ said:
If being an American is too responsible a position for you, bail out. Go where people don't care about the future.

Are you KIDDING? One of the entire points of the "help stop human CO2 exhalation!" is that the thing is GLOBAL. It isn't as though California's hopes for less CO2 emissions means anything unless the folks to their west take up the same attitude.

As far as ME, I'm about as green a guy as you can find nowadays!! I make some of my own electricity, and also make some of my own fuel for the car. I insulate, live close to work, schools are all close enough for the kids to walk to, as are the movie theaters and grocery stores and most of everything else American suburbanites might need.

And my entire career has been spent in the procurement, quantification and study of, oil and natural gas. And I ADMIT that oil is obsolete. Why would I want to live somewhere else?

My objection has to do with idiots who don't know diddly about any of these issues FORCING me to do things. Us Americans aren't required to be happy about being FORCED to do stuff we don't want to.

Last edited:

Sure..which is why the WORLD is trying to force CO2 emissions as an issue, because they can thereafter regulate people, people being massive CO2 emitters. Our very exhalation is being labeled a pollutant!

Tricky little game they are putting into motion, don't you think?

PMZ said:

Are you KIDDING? One of the entire points of the "help stop human CO2 exhalation!" is that the thing is GLOBAL. It isn't as though California's hopes for less CO2 emissions means anything unless the folks to their west take up the same attitude.

As far as ME, I'm about as green a guy as you can find nowadays!! I make some of my own electricity, and also make some of my own fuel for the car. I insulate, live close to work, schools are all close enough for the kids to walk to, as are the movie theaters and grocery stores and most of everything else American suburbanites might need.

And my entire career has been spent in the procurement, quantification and study of, oil and natural gas. And I ADMIT that oil is obsolete. Why would I want to live somewhere else?

My objection has to do with idiots who don't know diddly about any of these issues FORCING me two do things. Us Americans aren't required to be happy about being FORCED to do stuff we don't want to.

It's typically conservative to demand irresponsibility as a right, and to try to patriotize ignoring critical problems.

AGW fueled extreme weather is unaffordable. The downside of the global fossil fuel supply curve, up against the rising developing world demand curve is unaffordable. Yet your recommendation is if we buck up, and give up enough other things, we can keep your career going.

No thanks.

What conservatives don't seem to get is the fact that renewables will always be here for humanity. No pollution, no health effects from that pollution, little environmental damage comparably and cheaper.

20 years from now solar will be seen as the conservative energy as it will be common sense. Simply economic.

A long and complete look at the energy strategy choices for the US. Generally comparing the Republican do nothing strategy, with a well thought out transition to sustainable energy integration into the present structure.

www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52409-3.pdf

From
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...KbJD5q5SMB6wtix7Q&sig2=qSM8nL9zhqf5kY_Wbc1y2Q
"Abstract "

"The electric power system in the US developed with the assumption of exogenous, inelastic demand. The resulting evolution of the power system reinforced this assumption as nearly all controls, monitors, and feedbacks were implemented on the supply side. Time invariant, averaged retail pricing was a natural extension of the assumption of exogenous demand and also reinforced this condition. As a result, the market designs and physical control of the system exclude active participation by consumers. Advances in information and communications technologies enable cost effective integration of demand response. Integrating demand into the US electricity system will allow the development of a more complete market and has the potential for large efficiency gains. Without feedbacks between supply and demand, attempts to develop competitive markets for electricity will suffer from a greater potential for market power and system failure. This thesis provides an analysis of the technical, regulatory, and market issues to determine a system structure that provides incentives for demand response. An integrated, dynamic simulation model is utilized to demonstrate the effects of large scale adoption of demand response technologies. The model includes distributed decision making by both consumers and investors in generation capacity, the effects of their decisions on market prices, and the feedbacks between them. Large scale adoption of demand response technology is simulated to quantify the potential benefits of responsive demand. The effects of technology improvement via learning, long term demand elasticity, and policies to promote adoption are considered. The simulations show that diminishing returns for adopters and free rider effects limit the attractiveness of individual adoption. A subsidy to alleviate the costs to adopters can be justified by the significant system level savings from widespread participation. Several pernicious effects can emerge from large scale demand response, however, including increased price volatility due to reductions in generation capacity reserve margin, increases in long term demand, and increased emissions from the substitution of peak generation capacity, such as natural gas and renewables by intermediate capacity. Significant rent transfers will also occur, and stakeholder analysis is conducted to determine interests and distributional effects of large scale demand response. "

The simple fact the cost of solar is close to purity with the grid and going down = big trouble for the fossil fuel industry.

Last year alone doubled the rate of growth in America, japan and a few other European countries. Won't need much more of this to start kicking total ass.

The simple fact the cost of solar is close to purity with the grid and going down = big trouble for the fossil fuel industry.

Last year alone doubled the rate of growth in America, japan and a few other European countries. Won't need much more of this to start kicking total ass.

As EVs and charging stations are so synergistic with PV energy, that has to be the next thing that we have to inventize.

Forum List

Back