Geroge Will

explains his position cogently. I do not understand tariffs well, so I like this:
George F. Will: When protectionism is rampant, no bad deed goes unrewarded
I do not understand tariffs well

unit-4-international-economics_12.png

DWL stands for "deadweight loss," aka inefficiency. That inefficiency manifests itself in a variety of ways, not the least of which are the one's Will identified in relation to Bush's tariffs.

explains his position cogently. I do not understand tariffs well, so I like this:

DWL stands for "deadweight loss," aka inefficiency. That inefficiency manifests itself in a variety of ways, not the least of which are the one's Will identified in relation to Bush's tariffs.
Thanks, Xelor, it does help

Thanks, Xelor, it does help
You're welcome.

A key point to keep in mind when considering the graph:
  • Despite the placement of price on the y-axis, Q (quantity demanded, aka quantity actually purchased) is a function of actual selling price (P), not the other way round. (One can Google for why it is that way. Suffice to say Alfred Marshall presented some ideas that way, and among economists, that presentation layout stuck.)

i think that will is a 'bush' style conservative and thats not worth very much . As far as tariffs , at one time i think that tariff was used to run the USA . That was changed years ago . I don't mind a return to tariffs on 'washing machines' and 'chinese' solar panels that is lately in the news Bullwinkle .

I'm going to go out on a limb here and opine that you should care what Will thinks because..he thinks.

So does a chimpanzee (both thinks and goes out on limbs), but I don't value his opinions either. At least the chimp has an agreeable disposition and not full of ass-clenched tight bitter bile and pompous self-arrogance like ol' George.

Last edited:
The tariffs are limited to 3 years which gives domestic producers a chance to catch up on the market-share due only to the slants dumping their product below cost to kill industries. They can still sell here at the same price if they relocate here....the democrap version of free trade is dead as a doornail with DJT in the Oval Office.

George will used to be considered relevant until he ran into Donald trump, and wills bona fides were found to be 1000% establishment, 1000% intellectual, and 1000% clueless about what was going on in the country. He is definitely the one who has the highest opinion of himself, and yes he got everything wrong in 2016 to such a point hat he was indignant about people ignoring him. This is somewhat a case of sour grapes.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

In this article it quotes Donald trump as saying he steel considerations are not about China, that the us imports 26% of its steel, and that China owns half the steel making capacity in the world. Will, in his distaste for trump, never talks about how trumps actions have been a lot more tame than his rhetoric. The tariffs on solar panels and washing machines are of short duration and shrinking effect. As a person who uses a lot of steel products(cable, blocks, stainless) here’s what has happened. Cheap Asian products, all of which are inferior to American made, are half the cost. So most fishermen go with the cheaper stuff. I will be the first to say American products are too expensive and prices need to come down but I would also like to buy American. But from a business standpoint, as long as you are safe, are you going to spend 2000 For an American block or 1000 for a half ass block.

So what is happening in China is all these steelworkers have jobs which the state must keep even if there is no market, the country moves to manufacture steel products which are below cost in order to keep everyone working and peddles them overseas destroying the industries in foreign countries. For all his academic background, will has oversimplified the situation in his haste to demean trump. Get regulations and other costs out of steel making and we can compete without any tariffs in the real world.

As I said at the outset, George will is irrelevant.

Forum List

Back