The Problem of Refusing to Admit that the Other Party's President Has Done Anything Good

Our politics have become so polarized and divisive that many Republicans refuse to admit that Biden has done anything good, and many Democrats refuse to admit that Trump did anything good. This is a troubling sign. Part of the problem is that many Republicans only get their news from conservative news outlets, and many Democrats only get their news from liberal news outlets.

Just because I am not voting for Biden does not mean I cannot acknowledge that he has done many good things. He has also done many bad things, and I think the bad things outweigh the good things. But when we go to the extreme of pretending that a President has done nothing good because he belongs to a different party, we are not being objective or factual.

Many Republicans--and many Democrats--do not know that Biden has left about 90-95% of the Trump tax cuts intact. He deserves credit for this. But many Republicans and Democrats do not even know he's done this. As someone whose net pay increased by over $200 per month thanks to the Trump tax cuts, I am grateful that Biden has left most of those tax cuts intact.

Many Democrats--and many Republicans--do not know that Trump's USMCA trade deal, which was passed by Congress with huge bipartisan majorities in 2020, is substantially protectionist and includes provisions to protect American industries and workers against competition from foreign dirt-wage industries and workers. Even devout liberals Elizabeth Warren and Patrick Leahy voted for it, as did staunch conservatives Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz. It passed the Senate 89-10. It passed the House 385-41.

Republicans ardently defended and praised Trump's imposition of stiff tariffs on Chinese imports in response to China's long history of unfair and predatory trade practices. Yet, when Biden recently extended and expanded Trump's China tariffs, few Republicans praised him for it, and many Republicans accused him of "protectionism," ignoring the fact that these are Trump's tariffs and acting as though there's something wrong with protecting American jobs, workers, and industry from unfair trade practices.
Very good!

Forum List

Back