Getting Closer to Being Honest About It

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011

The euphemism "internment camps" has always been a dodge of the truth about fdr's concentration camps. About time people started calling them what they really were.

"Internment. Incarceration. Not many people make a distinction between the two terms or understand why it’s so important to do so. But in a historic decision aimed at accuracy and reconciliation, the Los Angeles Times announced Thursday that it would drop the use of “internment” in most cases to describe the mass incarceration of 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry during World War II.

Instead, The Times will generally use “incarceration,” “imprisonment,” “detention” or their derivatives to describe this government action that shattered so many innocent lives."

The euphemism "internment camps" has always been a dodge of the truth about fdr's concentration camps. About time people started calling them what they really were.

"Internment. Incarceration. Not many people make a distinction between the two terms or understand why it’s so important to do so. But in a historic decision aimed at accuracy and reconciliation, the Los Angeles Times announced Thursday that it would drop the use of “internment” in most cases to describe the mass incarceration of 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry during World War II.

Instead, The Times will generally use “incarceration,” “imprisonment,” “detention” or their derivatives to describe this government action that shattered so many innocent lives."
Yeah..internment connotes the imprisonment of enemy aliens or combatants. The US used the term to demonize the American citizens of Japanese descent in the U.S. and making their imprisonment more palatable to the American public. The practice has been widely condemned as being racist..after all, were German-Americans 'interned'? Italian-Americans?
While at the same time, Japanese-Americans were serving as soldiers, fighting and dying for the country that had unjustly imprisoned their families.

It's great that the LA Times recognizes this...not so great that almost all History books use the term, 'interned' and probably will continue to do so~

My grandfather was my step grandfather and he was half Japanese... he and his brothers and father were sent to a camp in the Dakotas where they earned money harvesting sugar beats... it was very hard work but the facilities were clean and safe...
They never spoke badly about it at least not to me... after he and his brothers turned 17 they enlisted in the army and were sent to Europe... My Grandfather was sent to Germany to quell any resistance after the war... His father was allowed to return to his land after the war and he became a citrus farmer in California....
it was unsafe for them during the war to be in society... this is not an excuse for the camps but it is a fact....

My grandfather was my step grandfather and he was half Japanese... he and his brothers and father were sent to a camp in the Dakotas where they earned money harvesting sugar beats... it was very hard work but the facilities were clean and safe...
They never spoke badly about it at least not to me... after he and his brothers turned 17 they enlisted in the army and were sent to Europe... My Grandfather was sent to Germany to quell any resistance after the war... His father was allowed to return to his land after the war and he became a citrus farmer in California....
it was unsafe for them during the war to be in society... this is not an excuse for the camps but it is a fact....

On the west coast Japanese were being attacked by other Asians, especially Filippinos. And yes, it would have been dangerous for them. They weren't death camps, so most of the sniveling is just FDR bashing rubbish, largely from the same right wing who worshipped Mussolini and Hitler in the 1920's and 1930's. The OP is just all mad because the U.S. won the war, is all. Google its name; he's a sick little shit.

Forum List

Back