Give a man a fish.......

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

But what happens when there are no fish where you live?
What happens if you can't afford a pole, tackle and a license?
What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing
What a load of bullshit.

There is more opportunity in the GOUSA than anywhere else in the world.

The "pond" is not closed.

Reading apologists for people who refuse to get an education and prepare for life makes me sick.

Thank you!

..that's quite profound, little partisan. :salute:

You got it all figured out. :rolleyes:
If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

too bad our government as of late tends

to put up more barriers to fishing

rather then breaking them down

If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

Roadrunner I'm on your side.
I was replying to the OP.
I should have used the quote function. Sorry for my confusion. :)

RWs are against "free stuff" until they want it for themselves.

They're also in favor of a huge government, controlling the most personal and private aspects of our lives.

And, as we saw most recently in Texass, they're quick to call for government help.

10565925_10203616673729067_336403891_n_zps15722fce.jpg

Roadrunner I'm on your side.
I was replying to the OP.
I should have used the quote function. Sorry for my confusion. :)

I get confused by the format too.

I was replying to the apologists for the "disadvantaged".

I've seen too many dirt poor people pay attention in school, behave, and go on to become professionals to buy the bullshit that "the pond is posted".

RWs are against "free stuff" until they want it for themselves.

They're also in favor of a huge government, controlling the most personal and private aspects of our lives.

And, as we saw most recently in Texass, they're quick to call for government help.

10565925_10203616673729067_336403891_n_zps15722fce.jpg
The poorest counties in America are by and large the blackest counties.

This holds true in Red AND Blue states.

After 150 years as special wards of the Federal government, dating back to the Freedmen's Bureau, you'd think blacks would have a little more to show for generations of loyal dependency and Dem bloc voting.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone
Then move.

People aren't chained to a spot in this country you know.

You remind me of the dog on a nail story.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

“Auuuuuhhhh………. Aaaauhhhh……….”

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

But it didn’t. It continued howling.

“Auuuu…………auuuu………..Auuuhhhhh…….”

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

“Auuuhhh………….Oouuuuuhhhhh…….Au au auuhhhhh..”

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

“Auuuhhh…Ouuuhhh….Auuuuuuuuuuuuuu………Au au au auu au au auuuuhhhhh….”

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Wondering what was going on, Tom walked up to Mr Tan.

Tom: “Hi Mr Tan, is that your dog?”

Mr Tan: “Which dog?” He glanced around. “Oh that. Yep he’s mine.”

Tom: “Why does he keep howling?”

Mr Tan: “Oh, that’s cause he’s sitting on a nail.”

Tom: “Sitting on a nail?!?” Tom gave the dog a bewildered look.

“..Okay… so why doesn’t he just get away from the nail then??”

“Well, Tom………”, Mr Tan took a slow sip of his coffee before replying.

“…That’s because he doesn’t find it painful enough yet.”

It is not my fault the US public education system cannot turn out workers who can compete in a global economy.

That said, the same dependent class has existed long before globalization.

Ever think the factories leave because of the sorry ass workers they have to hire here?

Time for the dependent class to realize unskilled semi-literate workers will NEVER earn a "living wage".

Of course, breaking the cycle of poverty takes personal responsibility and a community effort and sense of citizenship and civic pride.

Take the famous "oppressed community" of Ferguson, for example.

11% of registered voters managed to vote in their last local election, yet, they bitch and riot because local police are not "sensitive to the needs of the community".

Fuck 'em and all others like them.

We've been waiting. Waiting for those 'job creators' to extend their largess to the working community. Waiting for the Trickle Down effect to start.

What we failed to take into account is how much of that largess, that advantage the 'job creators' hold has been sent to off shore accounts where it fails to circulate through our economy.

We've been waiting for more opportunity to earn a living wage. But a lot of that cash is on vacation in the Caymans.

We've been waiting for the laws of Free Market Capitalism to take effect. But apparently once the wealth has been so deeply concentrated among so very few, those laws no longer seem to apply.

Where did the jobs go and why?
What is your plan or idea on how to "solve" the "problem"?

I think a nuanced look at that saying implies that knowledge given as a gift is more valuable than any material thing. In America knowledge (education) comes at a very high price that almost negates the benefits that come from gaining an education. To return to the metaphor, we will teach you how to fish but we get a bunch of the fish you catch for a very long time.

I think a nuanced look at that saying implies that knowledge given as a gift is more valuable than any material thing. In America knowledge (education) comes at a very high price that almost negates the benefits that come from gaining an education. To return to the metaphor, we will teach you how to fish but we get a bunch of the fish you catch for a very long time.

Hey, I guess your bitch is paying back money you borrowed?

How many generations do we need to be giving out fish? If your fish is delivered to your door, why even bother to learn to fish?

Then move.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Very good answer....just move

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots

Then move.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

howlingdog.jpg

Very good answer....just move

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots

bs --LOL

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

Forum List

Back