Give a man a fish.......

..that's quite profound, little partisan. :salute:

You got it all figured out. :rolleyes:
If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone
Then move.

People aren't chained to a spot in this country you know.

You remind me of the dog on a nail story.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

“Auuuuuhhhh………. Aaaauhhhh……….”

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

But it didn’t. It continued howling.

“Auuuu…………auuuu………..Auuuhhhhh…….”

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

“Auuuhhh………….Oouuuuuhhhhh…….Au au auuhhhhh..”

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

“Auuuhhh…Ouuuhhh….Auuuuuuuuuuuuuu………Au au au auu au au auuuuhhhhh….”

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Wondering what was going on, Tom walked up to Mr Tan.

Tom: “Hi Mr Tan, is that your dog?”

Mr Tan: “Which dog?” He glanced around. “Oh that. Yep he’s mine.”

Tom: “Why does he keep howling?”

Mr Tan: “Oh, that’s cause he’s sitting on a nail.”

Tom: “Sitting on a nail?!?” Tom gave the dog a bewildered look.

“..Okay… so why doesn’t he just get away from the nail then??”

“Well, Tom………”, Mr Tan took a slow sip of his coffee before replying.

“…That’s because he doesn’t find it painful enough yet.”

Very good answer....just move

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots
I dont think you really believe this crap you post, what are you getting .25 cents a post?

If all the energy and resources devoted to apologizing for and subsidising bad life choices were devoted to educating people that citizens had a duty and responsibility to prepare for life, and take care of themselves, we could eliminate most poverty in a generation.

Continued dependence is the sole hope of the Democrat party, so, I expect no change.

If the factory that supported your community moves to China, is that a bad life choice?

That is the problem facing our cities. The jobs that used to sustain the people (you may even call them fish) are gone
Then move.

People aren't chained to a spot in this country you know.

You remind me of the dog on a nail story.

Tom just moved into a new neighborhood recently. He liked his house and his environment, but there was one thing he didn’t get.

His neighbor, Mr Tan, had a dog that kept howling non-stop. Literally. Day in, day out.

howlingdog.jpg

Image ©

“Auuuuuhhhh………. Aaaauhhhh……….”

Initially Tom thought the dog was just going through a phase, so he ignored the howls, thinking it would eventually stop.

But it didn’t. It continued howling.

“Auuuu…………auuuu………..Auuuhhhhh…….”

1 day passed. Nothing changed. 2 days passed. Still howling. 3 days. 5 days. 1 week. 2 weeks. 1 month. Still howling, with no signs of stopping.

“Auuuhhh………….Oouuuuuhhhhh…….Au au auuhhhhh..”

Finally, Tom couldn’t stand it anymore. One fine day, he walked over to Mr Tan’s house to see what was going on.

Sure enough, there was the dog, sitting at the front porch, howling pitifully to whoever was walking by.

howlingdog.jpg

“Auuuhhh…Ouuuhhh….Auuuuuuuuuuuuuu………Au au au auu au au auuuuhhhhh….”

On the other hand, Mr Tan was relaxing on his bench at the lawn, leisurely reading his newspapers and sipping a cup of coffee.

Wondering what was going on, Tom walked up to Mr Tan.

Tom: “Hi Mr Tan, is that your dog?”

Mr Tan: “Which dog?” He glanced around. “Oh that. Yep he’s mine.”

Tom: “Why does he keep howling?”

Mr Tan: “Oh, that’s cause he’s sitting on a nail.”

Tom: “Sitting on a nail?!?” Tom gave the dog a bewildered look.

“..Okay… so why doesn’t he just get away from the nail then??”

“Well, Tom………”, Mr Tan took a slow sip of his coffee before replying.

“…That’s because he doesn’t find it painful enough yet.”

Very good answer....just move

Why don't people just move to locations where the fish are? Many times it is because they don't have the money to pack up and move to a location where they don't know anyone and don't know where the fishing spots (jobs) are

Many times locals resent those moving from other areas and hogging their fishing spots

there is no point debating a hypothetical situation, that a partisan invented out of thin air, with the partisan that invented it...

..the partisan will never be "wrong" in his continuously variable scenario...
It'll always be "yeah but what if..." this or that..because he can always interject new variables into his fantasy creation...
....around and around in circles you'll go...
No thanks.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

But what happens when there are no fish where you live?
What happens if you can't afford a pole, tackle and a license?
What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing
How many generations do we need to be giving out fish? If your fish is delivered to your door, why even bother to learn to fish?

Yet another cornerstone of conservatism

People will not want to work unless they suffer enough. There is no society on earth where the poor have done better by giving them less

Liberals think government is good.

That alone is proof of their inability to think.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

This is one of the cornerstones of conservatism today. Self determination. No "free stuff". Who could have a problem with such a basic principle of society? Why don't Liberals get it?

What happens when you go to fish and are told......."Only members are allowed to fish here"

This is where government comes in. The idea that once you have taught people to fish, your job is done does not always work in a society. Sometimes we need government to break dowmn barriers to fishing
How many generations do we need to be giving out fish? If your fish is delivered to your door, why even bother to learn to fish?

Yet another cornerstone of conservatism

People will not want to work unless they suffer enough. There is no society on earth where the poor have done better by giving them less
You know as well as I do that there are people white and black that make welfare a lifestyle, across generations.

I think a nuanced look at that saying implies that knowledge given as a gift is more valuable than any material thing. In America knowledge (education) comes at a very high price that almost negates the benefits that come from gaining an education.

Typically , a child spends 12 years at a government school in order to provide teachers with employment - government education also provides the politicians the warm feeling that they are part of "the village". No one cares to determine whether the education that is being provided will translate to marketable skills.

To return to the metaphor, we will teach you how to fish but we get a bunch of the fish you catch for a very long time.

If by that you mean , high taxes, then I believe that you belong to a group of people who is always making demands on the government to provide you more.

I think a nuanced look at that saying implies that knowledge given as a gift is more valuable than any material thing. In America knowledge (education) comes at a very high price that almost negates the benefits that come from gaining an education. To return to the metaphor, we will teach you how to fish but we get a bunch of the fish you catch for a very long time.

Hey, I guess your bitch is paying back money you borrowed?

I often ask myself why Righties always have to get so personal and so downright nasty, and then it occurs to me: they don't have an honest point to debate with and so, all that is left for them to do to save what little dignity they may have had, at least in their cataritic eyes, are ad hominems.

What a shame.

I think a nuanced look at that saying implies that knowledge given as a gift is more valuable than any material thing. In America knowledge (education) comes at a very high price that almost negates the benefits that come from gaining an education. To return to the metaphor, we will teach you how to fish but we get a bunch of the fish you catch for a very long time.

I often ask myself why Righties always have to get so personal and so downright nasty, and then it occurs to me: they don't have an honest point to debate with and so, all that is left for them to do to save what little dignity they may have had, at least in their cataritic eyes, are ad hominems.

What a shame.

It often comes down to that is the only round they have in the chamber. They can't debate the facts, they don't have a relevant argument.....You are Stoopid is all they have to offer

What a shame.
Do a post search on your self, I have seen you post some pretty nasty stuff. Hypocrite.

What a shame.

It often comes down to that is the only round they have in the chamber. They can't debate the facts, they don't have a relevant argument.....You are Stoopid is all they have to offer

Or they attack a member's family member, which was possibly the case here.

a) Don't move to the middle of the desert where there is no food.
b) Peoples throughout history made fishing gear. There weren't any Walmart stores (believe it or not).
c) Become a member of the fishing club or start your own club.
d) "Government" is one of the main reasons folks have lost the ability or desire to fish.

b) Peoples throughout history made fishing gear. There weren't any Walmart stores (believe it or not).
d) "Government" is one of the main reasons folks have lost the ability or desire to fish.

a) It was a great fishing spot for generations when my family moved here....now it is a desert
b) I am forced to fish with a bamboo pole and safety pin while my competition is using huge nets to scoop up all the fish
c) The club says....your kind need not apply
d) We need government to open up fishing opportunities for everyone, not just the rich

a) It was a great fishing spot for generations when my family moved here....now it is a desert
b) I am forced to fish with a bamboo pole and safety pin while my competition is using huge nets to scoop up all the fish
d) We need government to open up fishing opportunities for everyone, not just the rich

a) Time to move or time to plant another kind of food. Sitting on ones ass isn't the answer.
b) As long as you catch a fish it doesn't matter what type of pole your competition is using.
c) Start your own club and turn the rules around to your favor.
d) Fishing opportunities always have been, are now, and always will be "open" to all. One simply need to get off of their ass and stop bitching.

Bullshit.

You want the fish delivered to your door freshly wrapped .

There aren't enough fish to support all the people who want to fish for a living.
Many of the places where fish live have been destroyed and made useless and void of fish due to industrial pollution caused by the lack of government regulation.
Where fish do live and fishing is profitable, it is only because of government controlled and regulated fishing grounds and catch limits.

Who is cutting off aid? Why do liberals trot out the same old canards? Is it because the left has nothing to run on because everything they have done has turned to crap?

Not having fish because a person doesn't fish is the point.

The earned income credit, like it or not, conservative or liberal, that was Reagan so your BS about not wishing to help is just that, BS. Bush is loved in Africa, and by the Kurds, because he sincerely HELPED them.

It is sad but it is the product of 8 years of democrat rule, they have nothing but disaster to run on so they wish for people to just look the other way.

Liberals think government is good.

That alone is proof of their inability to think.

Society does not exist without government

Really?

So...then logically, there would be no society if there were no government.

You know some people who are ignorant keep quiet and others like you are proud to show it.

No society on earth has ever functioned without some type of government. From the smallest tribe to the largest mega-society, some form of government is needed

Sent there by Clinton's "free" trade agreements which never would have passed if he didn't push for them.

Forum List

Back