Go for a drive

My App is a little old but has worked for DECADES.

Its 8 dollars and goes anywhere I want. NO batteries NO charging and does NOT need a signal.

It's forest service land, in the mountains. I know the country fairly well...but many of the roads are closed or just numbers.

it was fun. Lots of debris in the road from a recent windstorm, many trees across the road but they've already been chainsawed. Everybody here has chainsaws in their vehicles..

It's forest service land, in the mountains. I know the country fairly well...but many of the roads are closed or just numbers.

it was fun. Lots of debris in the road from a recent windstorm, many trees across the road but they've already been chainsawed. Everybody here has chainsaws in their vehicles..
Studded snow tires and chain saws. Sounds like my old "hood".

I live in the Ohio River valley near Pittsburgh. I have a dear friend in the Bath Beach section of Brooklyn. She had a death in the family and I wanted to attend the funeral. She had lost a family member on a Saturday. I got to New York at 8:00 that night. The body had been moved to the city morgue in Brooklyn from the hospital where she succumbed.

My friend, her sister and I went to the morgue to identify the body. I reached for my tri-fold lamented map of southeast Brooklyn. I found the morgue by the index and then plotted a route there. "That's okay, hun!" my friend's sister said "I got GPS!"

And so, her sister entered the address of the morgue to the GPS and off we went.

According to my route, we would have taken the Belt Parkway to Ft. Greene. The GPS barked out the order to "Turn Left on Bay Street."

But the girls are chatty women. They gossiped back and forth oblivious to the request made by the GPS.

I plotted a course that would take us north on Roosevelt. The GPS, meanwhile had been 'recalculating'. And still the sisters chatted, argued, made up, and grieved.

"Are you gonna go on the Ft.Hamilton Parkway?" I dared interrupt. "Turn right on Ft. Hamilton Parkway." chimed in the robot map.

Eventually, we did get to the morgue, and giving me a tour of Brooklyn I never imagined.

The one design flaw, the one engineering mistake was not taking into account of a pair of Brooklyn sisters and their combined attention span where technology is concerned. You have to listen to the device if the device is to be effective.

We concluded our grim business with the Coroner's Department of the City of New York. We climbed back into the Ford Explorer and the forsaken GPS. The sister wondered if she had to turn north or south from the spot at the morgue. "Left". I said. "The take the close right onto Ft. Hamilton then to the Belt"

"How do you know that?" she shot back incredulous that a Yinzer from Ohio would have taxi driver caliber skills on the mean streets of Brooklyn.

"I paid attention." I answered.

Studded snow tires and chain saws. Sounds like my old "hood".
No snow....mud and slides.
WP_20170409_011.jpg

Forum List

Back