Godspeed John Glenn

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
He was my hero when I was a kid

John Glenn, astronaut and senator, dead at age 95

Glenn, the first American to orbit the earth, and later a four-term U.S. senator from Ohio, died Thursday at the Ohio State Cancer Center. He was 95.

Glenn became a hero in World War II and Korea, flying an astounding 149 combat missions in the two conflicts. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross on six occasions and an Air Medal with 18 clusters. In Korea, he downed three Russian MIGs in air-to-air combat during the last nine days of that war. Ted Williams was sometimes his wing man.

On Oct. 29, 1998, just months from the end of his time in the Senate, Glenn became the oldest person ever to go into space. He was 77 years old when he finally got his second mission, this time aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery

149 combat missions

Glenn was one tough cookie

upload_2016-12-8_12-42-37.png

As John Glenn looked out of the window of Space Shuttle Discovery, he said "To look out at this kind of creation and not believe in God is to me impossible. It just strengthens my faith."

Glenn, the first American to orbit the earth, and later a four-term U.S. senator from Ohio, died Thursday at the Ohio State Cancer Center. He was 95.

Glenn became a hero in World War II and Korea, flying an astounding 149 combat missions in the two conflicts. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross on six occasions and an Air Medal with 18 clusters. In Korea, he downed three Russian MIGs in air-to-air combat during the last nine days of that war. Ted Williams was sometimes his wing man.

On Oct. 29, 1998, just months from the end of his time in the Senate, Glenn became the oldest person ever to go into space. He was 77 years old when he finally got his second mission, this time aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery

The last democrat with balls.

R.I.P. I know I would not have had the guts to get in that little capsule.

He was one of the last of the Great Generation. papa Bush, and Bob Dole are some other survivors. When I here about "rape" survivors, especially those like the one at UVA, it makes me think about what people of my father's generation were and what those of my son's have become.

one by one, all the democrats that could be reasoned with are dying off

John Glenn will be missed

:(

RIP John Glenn

He was one of the last of the Great Generation. papa Bush, and Bob Dole are some other survivors. When I here about "rape" survivors, especially those like the one at UVA, it makes me think about what people of my father's generation were and what those of my son's have become.
Meathead, I would add John McCain to your list.

R.I.P. I know I would not have had the guts to get in that little capsule.

No guff. I loved this quote by him. He had a great sense of humor.

8da5c7b43bcdd3228b3da8b677cd5977.jpg

Forum List

Back