Godspeed to the peacemakers.

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
Let’s hope that a real peace is found to this terrible conflict that has gone on for most of our life time… I’m not a religious person, but I believe that all humans have a common denominator in a universal spiritualism that embraces Justice and a yearning for freedom and security for themselves and their families.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-israel-raise-hopes-mideast-peace-restart-080041533.htmlJERUSALEM (AP) —

The United States and Israel raised hopes Thursday for a restart of the Middle East peace process, despite little tangible progress so far from U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry's two-month-old effort to get Israelis and Palestinians back to the negotiating table.

As they met in Jerusalem, Kerry praised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the "seriousness" with which he is looking at ways to revitalize peace hopes. Kerry expressed optimism without outlining any concrete strategy for ending a stalemate between the two sides that has seen them hardly negotiate one-on-one at all over the last 4½ years.

"I know this region well enough to know there is skepticism, in some quarters there is cynicism and there are reasons for it," Kerry told reporters. "There have been bitter years of disappointment. It is our hope that by being methodical, careful, patient — but detailed and tenacious — that we can lay on a path ahead that can conceivably surprise people and certainly exhaust the possibilities of peace."

"That's what we're working towards," said Kerry, who was to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas later Thursday in Ramallah.

Netanyahu said his conversation with the top American diplomat would touch on mutual concerns about Iran and Syria. "But above all," he said, "what we want to do is restart the peace talks with the Palestinians."

"It's something I want, it's something you want," Netanyahu told Kerry. "It's something I hope the Palestinians want as well and we ought to be successful for a simple reason: When there's a will, we'll find a way."

Let’s hope that a real peace is found to this terrible conflict that has gone on for most of our life time… I’m not a religious person, but I believe that all humans have a common denominator in a universal spiritualism that embraces Justice and a yearning for freedom and security for themselves and their families.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-israel-raise-hopes-mideast-peace-restart-080041533.htmlJERUSALEM (AP) —

The United States and Israel raised hopes Thursday for a restart of the Middle East peace process, despite little tangible progress so far from U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry's two-month-old effort to get Israelis and Palestinians back to the negotiating table.

As they met in Jerusalem, Kerry praised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the "seriousness" with which he is looking at ways to revitalize peace hopes. Kerry expressed optimism without outlining any concrete strategy for ending a stalemate between the two sides that has seen them hardly negotiate one-on-one at all over the last 4½ years.

"I know this region well enough to know there is skepticism, in some quarters there is cynicism and there are reasons for it," Kerry told reporters. "There have been bitter years of disappointment. It is our hope that by being methodical, careful, patient — but detailed and tenacious — that we can lay on a path ahead that can conceivably surprise people and certainly exhaust the possibilities of peace."

"That's what we're working towards," said Kerry, who was to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas later Thursday in Ramallah.

Netanyahu said his conversation with the top American diplomat would touch on mutual concerns about Iran and Syria. "But above all," he said, "what we want to do is restart the peace talks with the Palestinians."

"It's something I want, it's something you want," Netanyahu told Kerry. "It's something I hope the Palestinians want as well and we ought to be successful for a simple reason: When there's a will, we'll find a way."

if they are truly serious about peace, HAMAS would be included in the negotiations. i see no mention of kerry meeting with ismail haniyah.

as for "I’m not a religious person, but I believe that all humans have a common denominator in a universal spiritualism that embraces Justice and a yearning for freedom and security for themselves and their families."

it isn't a human's desire for freedom and security that counts. it is a human's desire to afford those same RIGHTS to the other guy.

if they are truly serious about peace, HAMAS would be included in the negotiations. i see no mention of kerry meeting with ismail haniyah.

as for "I’m not a religious person, but I believe that all humans have a common denominator in a universal spiritualism that embraces Justice and a yearning for freedom and security for themselves and their families."

it isn't a human's desire for freedom and security that counts. it is a human's desire to afford those same RIGHTS to the other guy.
"We don't negotiate with terrorists".
~~B. Netanyahu

Remember he said that at his last White House trip?

Wouldn't it be great if Seal's friends gave the same rights to those who are non Muslims and even Muslims of different sects in the various Muslim countries. Maybe Seal should be sent as an envoy to see that this really happens.

"We don't negotiate with terrorists".
~~B. Netanyahu

Remember he said that at his last White House trip?

mcGuinness met with blair...not that i am suggesting that blair was a terrorist. he was OK as far as brits go.

Exactly what would Hamas have to " offer or contribute" that isn't already being asked? The answer is " nothing" which is why they are not involved

Exactly what would Hamas have to " offer or contribute" that isn't already being asked? The answer is " nothing" which is why they are not involved

are you and the others actually so stupid as to think you will achieve peace by not inviting them to the table...LOL.

by not inviting them, you play right into their hands. you make them stronger.

but we all know israel and israelis only pay lipservice to actual peace.

abbas enters the negotiations without HAMAS and israel's plum goes right down the drain.

reminds me of pearse's eulogy at glasneven for the old fenian, jerimiah o'donovan rossa.

i am sure he wouldn't mind my paraphrasing...

"Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this Regime have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Palestine. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! — they have left us our martyred dead, and while Palestine holds these graves, Palestine unfree shall never be at peace.

Oration of Patrick Pearse

Reab:

And while we are at it, let's have Charles Manson, OJ Simpson and Jodi Arias included in the negotiations.

Reab:

And while we are at it, let's have Charles Manson, OJ Simpson and Jodi Arias included in the negotiations.

don't be such a fookin' ass. i made a simple statement.

if they were serious about peace, i.e. if they want to achieve a peace through negotiation, HAMAS will be included.

if charlie manson, OJ or jodi had the support of many gazans and some support on the west bank and had connections with external militant bodies, plus a weapons cache, then you would be correct and they should be included in negotiations if kerry and netanyahu are serious about peace.

these things don't work with magic wands, ya know.

hell, if all you want is a peace treaty, fly me over there and i'll bring you one. i am sure i can find some caat name abdul and another named schlomo to sign something. if ya waant real peace though, keep the rabbit in the hat and include all interested parties that are capable of making war into the negotiations.

Reab:

if they were serious about peace, i.e. if they want to achieve a peace through negotiation, HAMAS will be included.

if charlie manson, OJ or jodi had the support of many gazans and some support on the west bank and had connections with external militant bodies, plus a weapons cache, then you would be correct and they should be included in negotiations if kerry and netanyahu are serious about peace.

hell, if all you want is a peace treaty, fly me over there and i'll bring you one. i am sure i can find some caat name abdul and another named schlomo to sign something. if ya waant real peace though, keep the rabbit in the hat and include all interested parties that are capable of making war into the negotiations.
Perhaps you, Seamus, can tell us how you are going to convince Hamas to accept Israel as a State since they have said they will never recognize Israel as one?

The problem is - they are legitimate representatives and democratically elected.

Look, I think Hamas are murderous scum and most definitely terrorists - but even if they were not democratically elected, they wield huge power in Gaza and thus have legitimacy.

Any agreement is stronger with them in it than with them outside of it.

Could a peace settlement to WWII have been made in 1943 without the involvement of Stalin?

I think not.

Perhaps you, Seamus, can tell us how you are going to convince Hamas to accept Israel as a State since they have said they will never recognize Israel as one?

I am going to convince them by saying from Day One that a UN-prescribed precondition of being a political party in a Palestinian state will be recognition of Israel.

It's carrot or stick.

Reab:

well, cracker, what you say is not true but were it, the wise thing for israel to do is invite them to the table and get and let them either refuse of take on the mantle of intransigence that israel wears so well.

but peace won't happen because too many zionists think like you and think they have control over the process and approach the problem emotionally and not pragmaticaally.

go ahead, negotiate some paper tiger peace without HAMAS and then whine the next day when HAMAS rockets drop on the negev and complain thaat you have an agreement.

beside, cracker, HAMAS sitting down at the table is an implicit recognition of israel.

Seal, you and I have been pretty much on the same side of the aisle for many years and I support your call for giving human rights to all people and brotherhood...But, when your brother like Hamas sends indiscriminate rockets just to terrify putting their-own people in harms way by legitimate retaliation, I draw the line.

Hamas is putting their people not only in harms way, but to utter isolation.

Israel should negotiate a peace creating the West Bank a Palestinian Nation close to the 67 borders Sharing East and West Jerusalem by international treaty or negotiation, the UN should memorialize by a vote. Security for both people.

Hamas may wish to Join the New Nation and Fatah should put it on the New State's referendum. They may not wish to continue this loosing war which has cost all Palestinians their homes and livelihood....Even winning wars cost a terrible price as Israel is now realizing…

It is now 2013 and the UN has sanctioned a Palestinian State precisely because Abbas has chosen peaceful resistance over Hamas' open war-fare. If Abbas and Fatah can keep up their peaceful tactics, they will get it all back in time. As many powers have found out in the end, Peace is more powerful than any Army ever known on earth. Look at the historical merrits of peaceful resistance.

Last edited:
Reab:

Should the US sit down and negotiate with Al Qaeda (or Taliban), Seal?
Do you expect Russia to allow Chechen terrorists dictate their terms for peace?
If not, then why Israel?

Reab:

Should the US sit down and negotiate with Al Qaeda (or Taliban), Seal?
Do you expect Russia to allow Chechen terrorists dictate their terms for peace?
If not, then why Israel?

there were no "should"s up my sleeve, only a simple statement...

if israel wants peace and if kerry and netanyahu and abbas are serious about peace, HAMAS will be at the table.

israel says "we don't negotiate with terrorists". that is not true. israel negotiates with those they consider "terrorists" all the time. the negotiations consist of an exchange of small arms fire, rockets, F-16s, and whatever the weapon of choice is for the day.

why are you insisting upon making these nonsensical analogies.

they could agree to end these H and I type missions they are running out of gaza and which seems to have the israelis all in a major tizzie.

i know damn well HAMAS considers every siren wail as the sound of victory...the sound of payback,

well, cracker, what you say is not true but were it, the wise thing for israel to do is invite them to the table and get and let them either refuse of take on the mantle of intransigence that israel wears so well.

but peace won't happen because too many zionists think like you and think they have control over the process and approach the problem emotionally and not pragmaticaally.

go ahead, negotiate some paper tiger peace without HAMAS and then whine the next day when HAMAS rockets drop on the negev and complain thaat you have an agreement.

beside, cracker, HAMAS sitting down at the table is an implicit recognition of israel.
Sitting down at a table is nothing when your charter states that you want to destroy Israel and your leaders state that they will never recognize the State of Israel. You still have a chance, since you offered to fly over there, to try to convince Hamas to think otherwise. Plus you can try to convince Hamas and Fatah to make nice to each other. By the way, all of a sudden I am a "cracker" to you. Perhaps I should call you a (fill in the blanks) with all the rambling on you have been doing, even in the early morning hours when others are sleeping.

Forum List

Back