Going Back to a Charcoal Grill

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My Charbroil gas grill gave up the ghost last year and after going grilless I decided I wanted something along the lines of a the old school Hibachi grill.....You know those cheap-ass Taiwan things that fell apart after a few years of use.

Cheap and all I liked the way they cooked a steak.

R.4bf6b7b724208837550bbe1a3e9f755d

I read of a "Sportsman's Pro Grill" by Lodge along the same lines and they were very well reviewed so I ordered one.

Lodge-Cast-Iron-Seasoned-Sportsman-s-Pro-Charcoal-Grill_50fef98f-7aef-4ed3-8a40-038e1e37651c.e7a48bb76649e79f09cb1c3fa04999a1.jpeg

It came in yesterday (very heavy cast iron construction) and I decided that I needed a stable stand of about waist level but I did not want it taking-up much room on the patio.

I remembered that I had a solid steel chair down on the river so went and got it and cut the back off.....Perfect!

I then cleaned/painted it

I fashioned a bottom shelf for it to sit my charcoal bucket (a repurposed cat litter container) and then painted it.....It holds 10# of charcoal easy enough.

I also made a lid out of a old baking pan.....Sigh, the MK I eyeball was a bit off when I made the handle....Opps!

Anyhoo it turned out fine, I'll test drive it tomorrow after the paint cures overnight.

g 001 (2).JPG

My Charbroil gas grill gave up the ghost last year and after going grilless I decided I wanted something along the lines of a the old school Hibachi grill.....You know those cheap-ass Taiwan things that fell apart after a few years of use.

Cheap and all I liked the way they cooked a steak.

R.4bf6b7b724208837550bbe1a3e9f755d

I read of a "Sportsman's Pro Grill" by Lodge along the same lines and they were very well reviewed so I ordered one.

Lodge-Cast-Iron-Seasoned-Sportsman-s-Pro-Charcoal-Grill_50fef98f-7aef-4ed3-8a40-038e1e37651c.e7a48bb76649e79f09cb1c3fa04999a1.jpeg

It came in yesterday (very heavy cast iron construction) and I decided that I needed a stable stand of about waist level but I did not want it taking-up much room on the patio.

I remembered that I had a solid steel chair down on the river so went and got it and cut the back off.....Perfect!

I then cleaned/painted it

I fashioned a bottom shelf for it to sit my charcoal bucket (a repurposed cat litter container) and then painted it.....It holds 10# of charcoal easy enough.

I also made a lid out of a old baking pan.....Sigh, the MK I eyeball was a bit off when I made the handle....Opps!

Anyhoo it turned out fine, I'll test drive it tomorrow after the paint cures overnight.

View attachment 974939
So, do you think that with the Green New Deal and the EPA might the feds look to ban all charcoal grills?

Forum List

Back