🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gold drops 36% in 3 years!!!

Consider a few facts:
Q1 Nonresidential investment was adjusted downward from 2.2% to .04%
Q1 Consumer spending growth decreased from 3.4% to 2.6%
2.4 million fewer jobs
Government unemployment rate reports 7.6% unemployment, largely due to those exhausting claims,
and those that have exited the work force, given up. Independent estimates exceed 10%.
Economy is stagnant.
Governments are artificially maintaining a low interest rate environment at the risk of devaluing their own currency in the process.
Renewed confidence in the stock market
Low bond rates.
Gold prices increase as currency purchasing power declines and alternative investment avenues flounder.
China is experiences further GDP contraction, Japan is still a mess, and European economies remain stagnant at best with looming liquidity issues on the horizon.

Gold has yet to level out, but when it does, I am in!

Last edited:
Bought 100 shares of the SPDR gold fund a while back.
I got it at 160 something a share.Gold at the time was 1,600.00
I did it in my IRA.

I have interest in it for a long term investment for at least 10 years.
So I am not too freaked out by its drop.
But it amazes me how many times I invest in something and the bottom drops out.

I for one do not see Gold remaining in a prolonged decline considering alternate investment vehicles available that provide universal hedge against currency devaluation. Diversity always pays off in the long run, however, commodities or precious metals held in favorable tax advantage vehicles has always troubled me. The basis for my concern is liquidity and ability to employ option strategies to enhance and address market volatility. If one were to review the historical trading range of gold since 2011 you will see that you are back to square one, without dividends or significant option premiums to substantiate the holding. PM's are not a growth investment simply a hedge.

Oh, good - that means I may be able to afford to buy more stock (antique jewelry): I couldn't afford to replace anything that sold, so I've been forced to shift over to sterling. I was literally about to 'dump' most of my stock into a boutique at 25% commission (rates on everything else are 50-60%!): they can get higher prices than in the 'antique' shops due to different clientele.

I may still 'unload' a few of the nicest pieces: I don't fancy having the size 4 and 5 rings sized up for me to wear, and I'm beginning to phase out of the business because I'll want to travel more with the husband after we retire in a couple of years.....having a retail space is a lot like owning a pet, LOL!

You people are pathetic. Gold has fallen 38% from it's high in sep 2011. A little less than two years ago.

Just broke $1,199 a few minutes ago.

Is this the end for Gold?

Dont tell this guy.

beck-gold.png

Bought 100 shares of the SPDR gold fund a while back.
I got it at 160 something a share.Gold at the time was 1,600.00
I did it in my IRA.

I have interest in it for a long term investment for at least 10 years.
So I am not too freaked out by its drop.
But it amazes me how many times I invest in something and the bottom drops out.

Hmmm... at 115.92 now. I might look into that. :thup:

I dumped my gold and silver Eagle coins when it was peaking because I knew those highs wouldn't last. Anyone who bought at $1800+ (gold) and $30+ (silver) got taken.

As I've written in the past, the only reason for the upturn in gold was to offset dot com losses.

Done deal......

Gold is decreasing as people are under the false impression that the economy is actually improving. Gold has still been in a Bull Market for 13 years straight. If you've been an investor since 2000, you've done well. I've you've been an investor since 2008, you've done well. If you've purchased gold near the highs, better luck next time...

Forum List

Back