Gold Trimmed Flags

ShawnChris13

Nov 12, 2013
Something has been brought to my attention regarding gold trim around flags in US court houses. I've been told that courts operate under maritime law and that is the purpose of the gold trim.

I am unable to find information validating or disproving this, and pose the question here in hopes of answers. Does anyone know about this?

An American flag without the gold trim is an America at Peace. With gold trim it an America at war. The gold trim makes it our battle flag.

The rug in the oval office depicts an American eagle with outstretched wings. In times of peace the Eagle has an olive branch in its claws. In times of war it holds three arrows.

An American flag without the gold trim is an America at Peace. With gold trim it an America at war. The gold trim makes it our battle flag.

The rug in the oval office depicts an American eagle with outstretched wings. In times of peace the Eagle has an olive branch in its claws. In times of war it holds three arrows.

Link please. Everything I've read about this states that there is no significance to the fringe, it's just optional ornamentation.

I can't give a link because my tablet doesn't multitask. Americanflag.org says that the gold trimmed flag was first used in a military setting but does not go further than that. In History of the Yellow Fringe military battle flags were the only ones allowed fringe. Yellow fringed flags can most be found in courthouses. A symbol of legal battles perhaps. According to that history it is not a Law of Admiralty flag as is sometimes erroneously believed.

Today the significance of the yellow fringe might have changed but it was historically a battle flag.

Since the Supreme Court in two decisions ruled that the 1st Amendment freedom of speech trumps penalties regarding the display of Old Glory the forum is moot on the subject. Maybe the History forum is a better choice.

Since the Supreme Court in two decisions ruled that the 1st Amendment freedom of speech trumps penalties regarding the display of Old Glory the forum is moot on the subject. Maybe the History forum is a better choice.

That might be but I'm only looking for an answer to the current use of the gold trim. There's much more to this but I'm looking for answers that wouldn't steer towards historical relevance nor conspiracy theories.

Forum List

Back