GOP Lawmakers Propose Official State Religion

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By John Celock

Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings.

The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported.

The bill reads:

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

The North Carolina state constitution disqualifies those who do not believe in God from public office. The provision has been unenforcible since the 1961 Supreme Court decision in Torcaso v. Watkins, which prohibited such bans.

More: North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

Gee, what took so long? I foresee Christianity becoming the official state religion in all the RED states.

Republicans helped Iraq to make Islam the "official" state religion. They had the barrel end of guns pointing to the Iraq's and could have made them do anything. They feel if they could do it there, they could do it here.

Article 2:

First: Islam is the official religion of the State and it is a fundamental source of legislation:

A. No law that contradicts the established provisions of Islam may be established.

Full Text of Iraqi Constitution

These are the same fruitloops that are going to make it illegal for the ocean to rise in this century any more than it rose in the last century.

Kind of like democratic lawmakers who think restricting the size of a piece of stamped metal that contains a spring will end gun violence.

Democrats have wanted a state religion for years. They only needed an acceptable diety. They found that in obama. Now they want laws protecting their religion.

Didn't they try this shit in the Civil War?

What part of United States don't they understand?

To democrats, fundamentalist islam is their natural ally. Muslims can kill all the Christians because democrats faint at the sight of blood.

Republicans helped Iraq to make Islam the "official" state religion. They had the barrel end of guns pointing to the Iraq's and could have made them do anything. They feel if they could do it there, they could do it here.

Article 2:

First: Islam is the official religion of the State and it is a fundamental source of legislation:

A. No law that contradicts the established provisions of Islam may be established.

Full Text of Iraqi Constitution

Did they have a choice? Really? I would have shot for a Constitution that proclaimed Equal Rights, for Male and Female, Believer and Non-Believer, but we know Sharia doesn't allow that. In an ideal World, I would support that. Even in this imperfect World, I'd hope for it. We have a long way to go, RD. Since when is the State Department RNC? That is news to me.

Sadly I THINK they might have a fairly decent legal argument to do this in States that go along with it.

I think I know that Virginia, still has an offical AND LEGAL STATE RELIGION after the signing of the US Constitution.

I don't much approve of this, but I THINK it might be legal.

Sadly I THINK they might have a fairly decent legal argument to do this in States that go along with it.

I think I know that Virginia, still has an offical AND LEGAL STATE RELIGION after the signing of the US Constitution.

I don't much approve of this, but I THINK it might be legal.

I would see them striking this down under the privlidges and immunities clause of the 14th and the due process clauses of the 15th. Basically if congress cannot make a law against something now, it has been incorporated to say the States cannot do it either.

These are the same fruitloops that are going to make it illegal for the ocean to rise in this century any more than it rose in the last century.

Kind of like democratic lawmakers who think restricting the size of a piece of stamped metal that contains a spring will end gun violence.

Why must you always be dishonest. No one thinks restricting the size of magazines to 10 rounds will end gun violence. Most people understand such a restriction and restrictions on quick release mechanisms and speed loaders might given innocent victims a window of opportunity.

Why must you always be dishonest. No one thinks restricting the size of magazines to 10 rounds will end gun violence. Most people understand such a restriction and restrictions on quick release mechanisms and speed loaders might given innocent victims a window of opportunity.

Thats not how your progressive reps are selling it. Dishonesty is in proposing things like this and assuming they will actually do any good.

How many newtown victims would have been saved if Lanza was restricted to a 10 round mag? Oh right, none, because no one was armed or physically capable of taking him down.

Yet the mag restriction is in ALL proposed laws. So I guess the accusations of progressives using the tragedy as an excuse to implement gun laws they have always wanted is spot on, right?

Didn't they try this shit in the Civil War?

What part of United States don't they understand?
It's just a couple Teabaggers (from the Class O' 2010), who are trying to get their names out there.

handjob.gif

Technically, they aren't wrong. The Constitution does not prohibit the States from establishing State religion. The Founders all recognized it. It's the caselaw that interprets the 14th amendment that outlaws it.

Interesting. Pennsylvania was a theocracy when it joined the union. Does the 14th Amendment trump the 10th Amendment?

Looks like we may see.

Forum List

Back