GOP senator, Idaho's Jim Risch, slams Republican blockade on Biden's diplomatic nominees

excerpts:

With more than 50 foreign-policy nominations stalling on the Senate floor, Idaho Sen. Jim Risch said he has been “as energetic as I can about getting these [nominations] through” the upper chamber.

Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) have moved to slow-walk the confirmation of Biden’s nominees as a protest of his administration’s national-security decisions, frustrating lawmakers from both parties.

“I have been a critic of this since I started on the Foreign Relations Committee,” Risch said during a discussion at the Halifax International Security Forum. “I was a governor. I understand you have to have a team in place in order to govern.”

This week, Hawley lifted his hold on Julianne Smith, Biden’s nominee to be ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. (Smith was unanimously confirmed by the Senate later that day.) Cruz, too, has begun to lift some of his holds on Biden’s diplomatic nominees.

Hawley decided to slow down some national security nominations after the messy U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and has since demanded the resignations of Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and other top officials.

excerpts:

With more than 50 foreign-policy nominations stalling on the Senate floor, Idaho Sen. Jim Risch said he has been “as energetic as I can about getting these [nominations] through” the upper chamber.

Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) have moved to slow-walk the confirmation of Biden’s nominees as a protest of his administration’s national-security decisions, frustrating lawmakers from both parties.

“I have been a critic of this since I started on the Foreign Relations Committee,” Risch said during a discussion at the Halifax International Security Forum. “I was a governor. I understand you have to have a team in place in order to govern.”

This week, Hawley lifted his hold on Julianne Smith, Biden’s nominee to be ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. (Smith was unanimously confirmed by the Senate later that day.) Cruz, too, has begun to lift some of his holds on Biden’s diplomatic nominees.

Hawley decided to slow down some national security nominations after the messy U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and has since demanded the resignations of Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and other top officials.
Risch sound like a good man wanting the government to govern for the good of the nation, rather than just the good of the Republican party.

"Slams"? I think the radical left has seen all the slams they can take in the last month or so. In reality it was a mind rebuke to fellow republicans from an old congressman who thinks his committee membership is the most important thing in politics. Business as usual magnified by the left in a pitiful effort to deflect focus from the Brandon administration.

Forum List

Back